• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
The M2 slot is right too the top PCIe slot, just above it. Pretty close to the GPU anyway. It's a Corsair drive, but has this copper sticker over the PCB.

If it's above it it'll probably be fine without. Try it without, try it with, see what works best. Some boards have m.2 "shields" that actually make them run hotter and it's not always easy to spot which yours will do without testing :)

Permabanned
Argh. Really? Anything I can do other than returning it? (Spot fan cooling, for example?). Any other mATX Ryzen board that would work better with a Raven Ridge APU?

Edit: It is still unopened at the moment.

No heatsink at all on the SoC VRMs, I don't believe fans can help much. I mean, check online, see what other people's experiences are, but... yeah, do it before you open the box because it was created before APUs existed and it's possible that it just fell into the gap when manufacturers didn't know what to prepare for.

(My opinion is slanted, I think I have a particularly bad example of that board that has been uncooperative since day 1 - but not all are as bad.)

I don't know if there are significantly better mATX boards - AM4 has very few to start with - but you can at least find some with heatsinks.

I had an MSI B350m Mortar which was a poorly built board I had to replace after it broke down within a couple of months. I replaced it with an Asus B350m Prime, That's a much better built board although it will need a bios update. But it's still last gen, Are there no 400 series MATX boards yet?

This is my board: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...am4-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-69l-as.html

Soldato
I had an MSI B350m Mortar which was a poorly built board I had to replace after it broke down within a couple of months. I replaced it with an Asus B350m Prime, That's a much better built board although it will need a bios update. But it's still last gen, Are there no 400 series MATX boards yet?

They skipped mATX with X470. Literally zero options :(

B450 micros will exist at the end of this month, but they look identical to the B350s aside from the chipset. Manufacturers really don't seem to want us running top tier CPUs in budget small boards...

I went with this motherboard in the end.

It's a good choice, proper heatsinks make happy VRMs. One of very few that are doing it right :)

Soldato
And thar she blows!

IMG_20180630_132639.jpg

Tidiest build I've ever done, I must say. Almost seems a shame to stick it under my desk! (I was actually a bit upset I couldn't find a better way of managing the 8-pin GFX card power cable - but going underneath the card blocks the rearmost fan...)

Everything seems to have gone smoothly (touch wood!)

RAM has defaulted to 2400MHz, but I guess that's not going to be a problem, and I can just select the appropriate DOCP(?)

One thing that did concern me - in the BIOS, I saw CPU temp at 46C and PCH at 50C. These both seem kinda high for just being in the BIOS from a cold boot. I know the 2600X stock cooler is hardly a worldie, but still. Any chance something's awry here?

What software are people using to monitor temps these days? HWinfo?

Also - do we still need to install all the chipset drivers, or does Windows 10 pretty much find everything I'll need?

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Being in the BIOS does tend to add a little bit of load on the chip, temps are fine mate. HWiNFO is best for monitoring temps. Get the latest chipset drivers from the AMD site.

P.S. Tidy looking build! :)

Soldato
Being in the BIOS does tend to add a little bit of load on the chip, temps are fine mate. HWiNFO is best for monitoring temps. Get the latest chipset drivers from the AMD site.

P.S. Tidy looking build! :)

:D Cheers! By far the best I've ever done anyway. I was always so messy!

Good to hear the temps are too out of whack. Will monitor with HWinfo in a bit. Just going through all the faff that goes with a fresh Windows install.

Will grab the drivers as you suggest too. I'm so out of touch - guess that's what over seven years without building a decent PC will get you :)

Must admit to a bit of relief. Everything has been plug'n'play so far. Need to sort out RAM speeds, but otherwise this has been plain sailing (famous last words!).

Soldato
Ah right. Yeah, temperatures are in the low-mid 30s sitting in Windows.

I notice from HWinfo that just doing normal activities (copying files, installing programs, syncing cloud data, etc.) sees one core boost to 4.19, which I gather is about what would be expected (?).

One core is showing max vid of 1.46, though, which seems like it's on the high side. Isn't the ideal for these chips to stay south of 1.4v?

This is all without touching any BIOS settings, btw.

Will update to latest BIOS in a bit.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Ah right. Yeah, temperatures are in the low-mid 30s sitting in Windows.

I notice from HWinfo that just doing normal activities (copying files, installing programs, syncing cloud data, etc.) sees one core boost to 4.19, which I gather is about what would be expected (?).

One core is showing max vid of 1.46, though, which seems like it's on the high side. Isn't the ideal for these chips to stay south of 1.4v?

This is all without touching any BIOS settings, btw.

Will update to latest BIOS in a bit.

I was wondering the same when I moved over to the 2700X mate, I was seeing voltage spikes of around 1.5 - it's perfectly fine though. They're only split second increases.

I would also recommend using the Windows Balanced power profile instead of the 'Ryzen' balanced one that gets enabled when you install the chipset drivers.

Associate
Well my stupid motherboard sets 1.4v stock volts with 1.575 spikes under XFR and the chip hasn't died after 10 months... BUT... I did recently reduce the negative offset from I think -0.056 to -0.048, and upped the SoC by about 0.05 to 1.12 ish, which seems to have stopped some bluescreens that had been sneaking in. Three weeks without a reboot so far, probably solid now.

Anecdotally I am not quite convinced that XFR is healthy for Ryzen in the long term. AMD always said it's fine, but I guess we're at the point where we'll start to get user reports if there's a problem there.

Completely unconnected, I've flipped my coat and gone 8700K because Ryzen 2000 just doesn't offer the single thread performance that nearly everything I do is begging for. Which sounds terrible, but actually I'm really glad that there's a 6-core upgrade option (which surely would not have existed without Ryzen), and that in 12-18 months I will probably get an upgrade again with Ryzen 3000. Competition works and I love it. It's expensive, but I love it. I miss the days of annual upgrades and hope they're coming back :)

Mine spiked to 1.5 ish, even though I didn't hang around at stock for very long I also noticed once the OS had fully booted the clocks and voltages settled quite low. Only using a GTX 1080 here so I guess a small amount of frame loss is accetable as game play isn't serious here in any context. But what i can tell you is that upgrading from an 2500k with GTX 760 to the present 1800X with GTX 1080 and SSD is just far superior in single thread @4.2 either way.

I was just trying to guage how long we might get from this current build seeing as the 2500K lasted till now from 2011. Also I couldn't buy the coffee-lake chips I wanted at the time from Scan in multiples of 2 which is why I am exclusively using Overclockers from now on. The build has been quite a while in the making waiting for prices to fall etc.

Would be nice to get more info from people that are still running overclocked from the start, I know Zeed said the chip was overclocked from the start to finish ie, till upgrade with no problems. I just see people with memory problems and cold boots of which I have had a few but since leaving the memory at XMP and using more SOC on these 2 systems have been ok apart from a GTX 1060 that has decided this world isn't a place for it any longer!

I think thats a Record for us, a Asus GTX 1060 lasted a week.....

Associate
My only issue with Ryzen longevity is that single core performance isn't really there, the fact that it's about on par with my old 2600K says a lot (3.8Ghz R7 1700 single core is about the same as 4.2~4.4Ghz 2600K). Only ray of hope is that Zen 2 might be good.

Soldato
My only issue with Ryzen longevity is that single core performance isn't really there, the fact that it's about on par with my old 2600K says a lot (3.8Ghz R7 1700 single core is about the same as 4.2~4.4Ghz 2600K). Only ray of hope is that Zen 2 might be good.

Yeah, I bought into this platform with the expectation of upgrading to a Zen 2 CPU in a couple of years. I'm hoping that will give this as a whole platform the kind of longevity I got from the 2500k, though, yes it is hopeful thinking.

Still, I think my 2600X should boost to around 4.3GHz single core, perhaps a few hundred MHz more. I've not really played with it too much yet, but surely that would kick the butt of my 2500k @ 4.4GHz. Does the R7 not boost single core above 3.8GHz? I thought it was higher than that?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
That is primarily down to the clock speed deficit. Running cinebench, the single core performance on my 1920x at 4GHz is a hair better than my old ivybridge-e was at 4.6GHz. The variance will depend on the task and instruction set used.

Soldato
Okay. First problem here. I flashed to 4011 BIOS, which seemed to go okay. Then I went back into the BIOS to set my RAM to run at its rated speed through its DOCP profile, and... it wouldn't even POST. Three or four failed POST attempts then it displayed a message that POST had failed, press F1 to enter setup.

I thought this Dark Pro 8 Pack RAM was guaranteed to run at its rated DOCP settings? What's going wrong here?

Ryzen 2600X on a Strix X470-F.

Back
Top Bottom