• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
3.9Ghz and 2932mhz on the RAM so far with BIOS 5803 - Broke 1700 on cinebench.

N21BSWI.png
N21BSWI.png

Nice result

Crosshair has BCLK adjustment, you should see better results dropping the memory ratio and cpu multi and increasing BCLK

Soldato
Crosshair has BCLK adjustment, you should see better results dropping the memory ratio and cpu multi and increasing BCLK
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I'm not quite sure on BCLK and the divider issues/how it works atm as I didn't bother (or it wasn't an option) with those on Piledriver so I went with the basic approach, volts and multi! :)

Nice! What overclock are you leaving on and how are you setting the volts? Fixed or?
Thanks! it's left at 3.9 atm. I'll try and head for 4.0 perhaps by the BCLK method. Ideal will be 4.0 and 3200mhz RAM, although the latter is mainly just waiting on bios updates.

Soldato
Asus prime plus B350.

I can boot, cinebench fine, etc, but realbench kills it. Cpu at stock through this testing.

out of interest how far into realbench does it die? is it the Handbrake? If so it's likely pulling a bit too much through the choke, x99 boards aren't cheap so i'm not surprised that a big 8/16 cpu is pushing some of these cheaper boards to their limits. That said I wouldn't worry too much if it's not real bench stable unless you are planning on encoding. I'd just give it a whirl at general use see how you get on.

Obviously if you intend on using all 16 threads at 100% load then you may for now have to settle for a slower speed.

Soldato
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I'm not quite sure on BCLK and the divider issues/how it works atm as I didn't bother (or it wasn't an option) with those on Piledriver so I went with the basic approach, volts and multi! :)

Thanks! it's left at 3.9 atm. I'll try and head for 4.0 perhaps by the BCLK method. Ideal will be 4.0 and 3200mhz RAM, although the latter is mainly just waiting on bios updates.
BCLK seems to get better memory results too from the chips I've played with 8pack will confirm more later when he's tested a box of chips, I really struggled with 4.1 3200 had to settle for 3160 i think using BCLK at 131 it hink.

Soldato
out of interest how far into realbench does it die? is it the Handbrake? If so it's likely pulling a bit too much through the choke, x99 boards aren't cheap so i'm not surprised that a big 8/16 cpu is pushing some of these cheaper boards to their limits. That said I wouldn't worry too much if it's not real bench stable unless you are planning on encoding. I'd just give it a whirl at general use see how you get on.

Obviously if you intend on using all 16 threads at 100% load then you may for now have to settle for a slower speed.

Yeah, it's during handbrake.

I do intend to start editing some of my 4k footage, and am looking to possibly start ripping my blu rays.

Rest is photo editing, vms for dev work, gaming.

I seem to be making a little progress maybe. The xmp profile for the 2 x 16gb lists voltage of 1.2, but pushed it to just under 1.35 and got blue screen, rather than complete system lock.

Also managed to get very near end of 15 min, whereas used to bomb before 10 min generally.

Didn't think something like 2667 mhz would be much of an issue with two sticks.

I can say with the 4x 8gb sticks, system wouldn't even post at 2667.

There was another voltage I adjusted but can't think what it was now.

Maybe I'll try aida and go by that...

Soldato
Actually I'm just shy of giving up. If a board that states can run memory up 3200mhz, won't even run memory rated at 2800mhz at just 2400mhz... Then I don't know.

I really wanted this #### out the way this weekend,

I'm not sure I hold out any hope of this improving much with bios updates. Probably just going to return this.

What a ####### waste of my long weekend off :/

Soldato
Tbh I'd try 1.4v on the ram. Even when ddr3 was 1.3 it almost always had to be 1.65/6 to run xmp at its rated speed. But handbrake is a particularly brutal process I literally spent an hour down clocking g from 4.25 to 4.09 till it completed handbrake with 3000 mem.

Soldato
Tbh I'd try 1.4v on the ram. Even when ddr3 was 1.3 it almost always had to be 1.65/6 to run xmp at its rated speed. But handbrake is a particularly brutal process I literally spent an hour down clocking g from 4.25 to 4.09 till it completed handbrake with 3000 mem.

I would think 1.4v for ddr4 at 2400mhz seems a tad much...

I couldn't even do it with really slack timings.

I'm actually running a stock memory run again for half an hour. At least I hope it's stock. I may have left the voltage elevated...

Soldato
Hmm, I double checked that it was completely stock, set it off running 16gb stress test for half an hour.

Just walked past pc and could see it had rebooted.

So either this board is duff, or there is something going on with using realbench as a stress test.

Man of Honour
OP
Hmm, I double checked that it was completely stock, set it off running 16gb stress test for half an hour.

Just walked past pc and could see it had rebooted.

So either this board is duff, or there is something going on with using realbench as a stress test.

I'd hold out for some BIOS updates. I'm having no luck getting past 2666mhz at the moment (Although I didn't try particularly hard)

Soldato
I would think 1.4v for ddr4 at 2400mhz seems a tad much...

I couldn't even do it with really slack timings.

I'm actually running a stock memory run again for half an hour. At least I hope it's stock. I may have left the voltage elevated...

was using 1.5v on the team xtreem 3866 stuff to get the 1800x to run 3000MHz perhaps things will improve with microcode updates and bios improvements.

Just seems like the chip is kicking the pants out of the board too be honest which would line up with my own testing RE the B350, I was using an ES chip in a pre release board with a early bios so it wouldn't have been fair for me to write it off without testing retail components. have you tried disabling SMT? I know you need it but it might be worth seeing how the board handles with out the extra threads.

again to re-mention we have bios updates and microcode updates to come, Which board do you have btw so i can do some testing tomorrow?

EDIT
I'm just curious to see how it holds out re the memory voltage, I know it's easy for me to sit here and say it's ok to test stuff beyond it's recommended as I'm not paying for the hardware i'm testing with but I'd be curious it might be that your memory just won't do it's rated speed at all with that board which could be fixed at anytime.

Again which baord your using and which slots are you putting the memory in too? I've been told that 2 - 4 are the priority slots for 2 sticks.

Last edited:
Soldato
was using 1.5v on the team xtreem 3866 stuff to get the 1800x to run 3000MHz perhaps things will improve with microcode updates and bios improvements.

Just seems like the chip is kicking the pants out of the board too be honest which would line up with my own testing RE the B350, I was using an ES chip in a pre release board with a early bios so it wouldn't have been fair for me to write it off without testing retail components. have you tried disabling SMT? I know you need it but it might be worth seeing how the board handles with out the extra threads.

again to re-mention we have bios updates and microcode updates to come, Which board do you have btw so i can do some testing tomorrow?

EDIT
I'm just curious to see how it holds out re the memory voltage, I know it's easy for me to sit here and say it's ok to test stuff beyond it's recommended as I'm not paying for the hardware i'm testing with but I'd be curious it might be that your memory just won't do it's rated speed at all with that board which could be fixed at anytime.

Again which baord your using and which slots are you putting the memory in too? I've been told that 2 - 4 are the priority slots for 2 sticks.

Thing is, it's not just trying to run at rated speeds.

Completely stock on both ram (ie 2133) and cpu it still reboots the pc at some point during realbench.

Back
Top Bottom