• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
For 2920x?

They deacon ill have it wed, Thursday

Assuming the price is £600 yes 2920X. It has $645 MSRP anything higher and it will be pointless CPU compared to the 2950X.
And I assume £600, if we consider 2950X has MSRP $899 and is sold at £800.
If OCUK maintains similar pricing and put £550 the 2920X, it will make the Intel mainstream and HEDT lineup completely utterly pointless pile of poo that only people who need serious psychiatric help would buy.

Soldato
So I've seen nothing but positive press on the MSI Meg Creation but is there an alternative I should also be considering?

The only refreshed boards are the MEG and the Auros Extreme. If neither of those appeal is wait for further refreshed boards to be released. They can't be far away as some of the first wave have been set to EOL now.

Soldato
Assuming the price is £600 yes 2920X. It has $645 MSRP anything higher and it will be pointless CPU compared to the 2950X.
And I assume £600, if we consider 2950X has MSRP $899 and is sold at £800.
If OCUK maintains similar pricing and put £550 the 2920X, it will make the Intel mainstream and HEDT lineup completely utterly pointless pile of poo that only people who need serious psychiatric help would buy.
2950x was £899 for 2 weeks or so but yeh

Soldato
So I've seen nothing but positive press on the MSI Meg Creation but is there an alternative I should also be considering?

Nothing yet announced. MEG is the summit of the X399 range. I could have said the "Zenith" of the range, but the similarly priced and named Asus product is like but comparing comparing Ben Nevis (1345m) to Parnasus mountain (2457m).

Soldato
Nothing yet announced. MEG is the summit of the X399 range. I could have said the "Zenith" of the range, but the similarly priced and named Asus product is like but comparing comparing Ben Nevis (1345m) to Parnasus mountain (2457m).
haha really wish meg was avaliable for my build but asus will be fine

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP

Any other X399 board is fine if you aren't using a 2970wx or 2990wx as the other cpus don't need the beefed up powerstages for overclocking. I don't think there is a 'bad' X399 board.

Soldato
Any other X399 board is fine if you aren't using a 2970wx or 2990wx as the other cpus don't need the beefed up powerstages for overclocking. I don't think there is a 'bad' X399 board.

True. But considering that we will need them for next couple of years, are an investment.

The X399 Taichi is perfect for the 2920X. Cheep (£250s) and cheerful to be replaced next year with the pci-e 4.0 ones.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
True. But considering that we will need them for next couple of years, are an investment.

The X399 Taichi is perfect for the 2920X. Cheep (£250s) and cheerful to be replaced next year with the pci-e 4.0 ones.

Yeah, I'd have picked up a Taichi instead o my current board but they took ages to come into stock when I built this system at the launch of the 1950x.

Soldato
I was tempted by the Zenith but glad I went with the cheapo Prime :). From memory I think the Zenith gave better IPC than the other boards available at the time. Prime been great for my uses. I'll probably pick up TR3 16 core when it arrives and might update the lot then (mobo, mem, cpu)

Soldato

Panos you might have persuaded me to buy a Taichi and replace it later with a PCIe 4.0 one. I can't see them coming out for a while and at least I'll get some use out of it in the mean time...

Soldato
Panos you might have persuaded me to buy a Taichi and replace it later with a PCIe 4.0 one. I can't see them coming out for a while and at least I'll get some use out of it in the mean time...
When are you looking to build your rig? I only ask because I will be selling my 1920x when the 2920x comes out. I was going to sell my whole rig but still undecided.

Soldato
When are you looking to build your rig? I only ask because I will be selling my 1920x when the 2920x comes out. I was going to sell my whole rig but still undecided.

Thanks for the offer but I've already got a 1900X. Picked it up for £264 new. Cheap way into TR. I'm hoping I can pick up a decent picked lower (for TR) core count CPU down the line. I really want X399 for the possibilities the platform gives rather than the 16+ cores available. I'd really like to see a high clocking 8 core 7nm part, I'd pay the premium for HEDT over mainstream. Hopefully that's an option.

Soldato
Thanks for the offer but I've already got a 1900X. Picked it up for £264 new. Cheap way into TR. I'm hoping I can pick up a decent picked lower (for TR) core count CPU down the line. I really want X399 for the possibilities the platform gives rather than the 16+ cores available. I'd really like to see a high clocking 8 core 7nm part, I'd pay the premium for HEDT over mainstream. Hopefully that's an option.

Due to the way that the Zen2 CCX's will be configured, I can't imagine that TR3 will have anything less than 12 cores, especially given the likelihood of normal desktop Ryzen CPU's becoming 12-16 cores at the high end. You may find that the clock speeds don't significantly increase either until 7nm refresh, but hopefully Zen2 will offer at least a 5-10% IPC increase over the current generation. So maybe a 12 core CPU with a 4.7GHz boost, but with a good IPC boost, with potential to OC it if they leave some headroom. :)

Caporegime

Might just be me but I can't find the Taichi for under £300. Is that still the best cheapish board? Tempted to just get the MEG when it comes out.

Back
Top Bottom