• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
Might just be me but I can't find the Taichi for under £300. Is that still the best cheapish board? Tempted to just get the MEG when it comes out.

It's really hard to come by presently, they seem to have a lot of pre-orders, but mostly £320+. I found the MSI MEG Creation for only £420, which seems like a pretty sweet deal for someone looking at a very high end system, more so than the Asus anyhow.

Soldato
Yeah that’s my thought, either proper Zen 2 with 12 cores or TR4 will drop a bit and I’ll jump.

Yes. Looks like my upgrade path will be 7nm 12 core. Should last me for years. X399 had massive upgrade potential with all those lanes m.2 and NVME RAID. My logic is I just need to stay ahead of the average users performance as that's where most software is pitched.

I don't see an X399 setup now, being caught by future average mainstream for a long time.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone have any experience of using a 1950/2950 for retro PC gaming, mainly from GOG? Just wondering if you had encountered any compatibility issues. I guess you can always switch to game mode if there is a problem so maybe I have answered my own question.

Soldato
i need it for vmware, run multiple vm's
Me too, although I use Hyper-V. Worth noting in case comparing with other results. I tend to disable it if trying benchmarks, which isn't often.
On that note, are you able to invoke Ryzen Master with virtualisation enabled? I always see an error when I try it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can I just ask what you guys run on your VMs ? Just curious is all.

Was thinking of maybe going to threadThread on 7nm but I'm at a loss to imagine what I would run on a VM that would require me to move to HEDT. I guess maybe an SQL server for work, but then I would only really use it for test restores and the like, nothing I couldn't do on a standard desktop really.

Only other thing I can think of is running an SBS for the wife's company or something.

Back
Top Bottom