******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Yh saw it earlier. You seen the warp in effects for the vanduul?

Think it might be a mini warp as we've seen larger ship warps which are more akin to star trek.

Clickbait article is interesting?

A buggy half-built game? It's not even released and is clearly in alpha (a modular alpha at that). We're getting access to parts of the game development cycle that are usually closed off. Anyway people will find fault where they want to. Like it's been stated multiple times, you can pledge as little or as much as you want to development.

The game has only been in development for 2 and a half years and Star Citizen is aiming to have a scope far larger than any other game previously gone. To put that into context GTA V was in development for 5 years and had a much larger budget with a far smaller scope than SC. Did anyone get access to GTA V just over 2 years into development?...nope.

Is there anything legally to stop them from taking the money and not delivering the game? The article made it sound like all of the funding is donated and therefore it's basically theirs to do as they wish. I find it staggering that this game has had such a huge investment from the public.

In that sense the article's title appears quite factual. That's what actually fascinated me by it, you labelled it clickbait and yet as far as I can see it's accurate. At this moment in time fans have pumped $77m in and the game is almost half way through it's development.

In that sense the article's title appears quite factual. That's what actually fascinated me by it, you labelled it clickbait and yet as far as I can see it's accurate. At this moment in time fans have pumped $77m in and the game is almost half way through it's development.

It is click bait, the title is taken out of context and misleading.

If anything it should be: Game halfway through it's development cycle is halfway built.

...But that wouldn't bait anyone as it obvious.

It is click bait, the title is taken out of context and misleading.

If anything it should be: Game halfway through it's development cycle is halfway built.

...But that wouldn't bait anyone as it obvious.

This...it's pretty self explanatory as to why it's click bait.

In terms of pledges, yes there is a massive element of trust and faith placed in them delivering what they've set out to. Will they deliver on everything? Unlikely but even half of what's been promised will be pretty awesome. SC level of funding is unlikely to be achieved again. The reason it has been so successful is due to the person behind it and an extremely large cohort of people who love the WC and Freelancer games.

You just have to see the number of projects that have tried to replicate it and fallen flat on their face.

Is there anything legally to stop them from taking the money and not delivering the game? The article made it sound like all of the funding is donated and therefore it's basically theirs to do as they wish. I find it staggering that this game has had such a huge investment from the public.

halfway through it's development but they continue to raise funds as it's got to finish that development cycle and then support the game and infrastructure after release. They've now raised over £80 million and that's not including deals with companies, funds from physical goods (as far as I can tell) and subscribers contributions.

I'm still not convinced it's even halfway through it's development tbh.

Im currently addicted to Elite.

But I keep visiting the SC page and wondering if it's worth getting involved.... Dogfighting is not my forte in Elite ( more of a trader/exploration guy atm ) so Im not sure if there is much for me yet ?

But after dropping money on a Saitek X55 and TrackIr recently for Elite , would be nice maybe to use it on some other games ;-)

I see you've bought the 300i, but i dont think anyone has pointed out that these current 'concept sale' ships, which are probably like 6-9mo from being in-game (the A-B ones, C+ will be another +3-6mo i'd imagine), they'd actually be a pretty valid option for you right now.
For $60 you can get the little Hull A, its a dedicated hauler, perfect for your trading missions, but what you probably didnt know is that if the ship you've bought isnt available to fly, then they allow you to use another ship of similar value, until your ship IS available. I would imagine you'd actually get the 300i as a loaner for the next 6 months anyway.

The downside
- you wont see it in your hangar, and its always nice having something in the hangar to nosy at (although, by now you've probably already seen the 300i in hangar anyway - which helps).

The upsides
- You can still fly something, you'll have access to the ships CIG makes available to backers during 'Free Fly' weekends.
- 'LTI', it shouldnt be significant, but its still highly sought after - the insurance fees on the ship are covered, forever. Fee's wont be high, but paying 0 UEC is better than paying 1 or 1000 UEC each month.
- If you're not happy with the Hull A when its released, you can use a 'CCU' (Cross-Chassis Upgrade) to transform it to something else. Prefer combat, upgrade to the 325 etc. You keep the LTI on it, you just pay the difference. Or you can melt it and get the amount back as store credit, and buy something cheaper (but you melt the LTI too).
- while you have the loaner ship, you're still able to earn rental credits (REC) and rent other ships to try them out.

You can still do this, by melting the 300i, although im not sure if it'll be $5 more (cant remember how much the 300i costs, but it'll be close to the $60 of the Hull A), and you'd still need the AC pass in both circumstances so shouldnt be a factor.

If he pledges for the Hull "A" he won't get Squadron 42 or Star Citizen so he'll have a ship but no game,. that's why I think none of us suggested it tbh. He'd still have to buy a starter package.

I've done my bit....complaining over on Bit-Tech, but im not remotely impressed with the way they've conducted themselves in the last couple of months tbh.

On Monday evening i'd calculated what each container on the Hull A-E ships would need to hold in order to have the capacities they've been given. They made absolutely no sense, and seemed to suggest that they'd gone with 'oh, that looks about right' numbers, and not remotely based on anything calculated.

Original values:
  • 32 containers, 75 CU = 2.34375 CU per container
  • 64 containers, 600 CU = 9.375 CU per container
  • 256 containers, 4800 CU = 18.75 CU per container
  • 384 containers, 21600 CU = 56.25 CU per container
  • 512 containers, 153600 CU = 300 CU per container
Calculated values:
  • 32 containers, 48 CU = 1.5 CU per container
  • 64 containers, 384 CU = 6 CU per container
  • 256 containers, 4608 CU = 18 CU per container
  • 384 containers, 20736 CU = 54 CU per container
  • 512 containers, 98304 CU = 192 CU per container

Ignoring the fact that 3 of the 5 ships have lost over 33% of their cargo capacity overnight - which is a slap in the face to those who've bought those ships, i could tell straight away simply by counting the number of containers each ship had, and then calculated what that meant each container held, that these original numbers were not calculated, they werent even guestimates, they were 100% plucked from thin air.

They're getting lazy, and then complaining because the community see's stuff they announce, and doesnt like it, and then 4 days later - because they insist on doing all of this on a Friday, they have a weekend of escalating speculation and outrage, all because they cant communicate properly. Now they're selling stuff without even bothering to check the figures, and this isnt some hospital ship and it turns out its got less cargo space, its cargo ships losing 38% of their capacity because someone bothered to see if their nice solid number which look tidy, are viable or not. Imagine buying a Vanguard, advertised with 6 guns, then half way through the sale they remove 38% and leave it with 4! Its sloppy.

I havent bought one of these ships, nor was i planning to. The actual cargo capacity they end up being, im 100% certain they'll be balanced and fair when the game is released. However selling them as 100% capacity then a few days later deciding to check if they're correct and announce its now 62% the size, is an insult. Its not balancing, its only doing your job after you've sold people something.

I think looking at the new list the Merchanman's figures will be vastly changed. I'm happy with it being larger than the Hull C - but I still think it'll be revised down.

Everything is subject to change - but yes completely agree they shouldn't have to alter them that much just days after releasing them.

Agreed in principle that they should take more time when doing this but buying any ship and relying on their stats as it stands is a dangerous game as everything is subject to change (ie buying a vanguard with 6 guns but then drops to 4 later on). But yh can't disagree that they should have done the calculations they've done now before the sale went up.

When it comes to cargo, I'd be less worried as there is a clear hierarchy so you're unlikely to lose out. In addition they'll only be able to provide best estimates on the ships until they are actually in-engine.

I see you've bought the 300i, but i dont think anyone has pointed out that these current 'concept sale' ships, which are probably like 6-9mo from being in-game (the A-B ones, C+ will be another +3-6mo i'd imagine), they'd actually be a pretty valid option for you right now.
For $60 you can get the little Hull A, its a dedicated hauler, perfect for your trading missions, but what you probably didnt know is that if the ship you've bought isnt available to fly, then they allow you to use another ship of similar value, until your ship IS available. I would imagine you'd actually get the 300i as a loaner for the next 6 months anyway.

The downside
- you wont see it in your hangar, and its always nice having something in the hangar to nosy at (although, by now you've probably already seen the 300i in hangar anyway - which helps).

The upsides
- You can still fly something, you'll have access to the ships CIG makes available to backers during 'Free Fly' weekends.
- 'LTI', it shouldnt be significant, but its still highly sought after - the insurance fees on the ship are covered, forever. Fee's wont be high, but paying 0 UEC is better than paying 1 or 1000 UEC each month.
- If you're not happy with the Hull A when its released, you can use a 'CCU' (Cross-Chassis Upgrade) to transform it to something else. Prefer combat, upgrade to the 325 etc. You keep the LTI on it, you just pay the difference. Or you can melt it and get the amount back as store credit, and buy something cheaper (but you melt the LTI too).
- while you have the loaner ship, you're still able to earn rental credits (REC) and rent other ships to try them out.

You can still do this, by melting the 300i, although im not sure if it'll be $5 more (cant remember how much the 300i costs, but it'll be close to the $60 of the Hull A), and you'd still need the AC pass in both circumstances so shouldnt be a factor.

I got all excited over this....then saw your oh balls comment ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to look at solutions for me though. Only actually had the chance to fire it up for 10 mins and walk around my ship so, RL has been awkward this week !

Think it deserves a proper sit down and amount of time to look properly , so all pencilled in for the weekend :-)

Back
Top Bottom