******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now

So, if I pay, what exactly do I get access to? After Elite being a huge flop for me (1 mile puddle at 1" deep), I'm still craving my space flying!

Not much - you can look round your hanger , do a bit of flying and a dogfight mode which is pony.

If a finished elite did not wet your whistle a 5% completed Star Citizen will do nada for you i am afraid.....

Depends, I prefer the combat in Arena Commander to that in Elite by a long shot BUT it's still very limited and is basically a glorified tech demo. They really should offer regular trials/demos so people can give it a whirl.

If in doubt don't back just now IMHO, plenty of time for it but if you think you'll be interested Agnes, create an account on the RSI site and buy a ship skin, that gets your account registered as a backer so any backer rewards given out will be credited to the account, maximum loss if everything falls on it's backside would be about $6.

From the hull C Q&A

“Why should anyone NOT prefer the Banu Merchantman before the Hull C?”

The primary advantage of the Hull C is the modularity. Where the Banu Merchantman will allow you to swap fixed hardpoints, the Hull C gives you an entire spindle of attach points to access. The Hull C is also intended to be more common (and less expensive!) than the Merchantman.

Its also very likely that at the next show/conference they attend, they'll be giving out trial access codes, which are universal codes like 'PAXS-OUTH-2015' which everyone can use to then try the game for that week.

Not sure what the next event will be, Gamescom is the next event and thats in August, but apparently they're attending E3 so its highly likely trial codes will be passed around there. Pretty sure they're not doing an event, but that shouldnt be a factor for them giving out codes to people passing the stand they'll share.

Its also very likely that at the next show/conference they attend, they'll be giving out trial access codes, which are universal codes like 'PAXS-OUTH-2015' which everyone can use to then try the game for that week.

Not sure what the next event will be, Gamescom is the next event and thats in August, but apparently they're attending E3 so its highly likely trial codes will be passed around there. Pretty sure they're not doing an event, but that shouldnt be a factor for them giving out codes to people passing the stand they'll share.

Yep they're attending the "E3 PC Gaming show" http://www.pcgamingshow.com/

They're one of the speakers.

Around the verse #42 was actually pretty good. I rarely manage to watch it start to finish but there's a good selection of guests and the start part is very well done lol

and expect to be initially disappointed :)

I reckon they'll potentially hold it back until UKCitcon in October. They always make a big reveal at those.

Hadnt seen this post or the chain before it. Im pretty sure they'll have the social module way before October, June-July i'd imagine. Im fairly confident that they'll use Citizen Con as the first showing of Squadron 42, whether its the opening trailer or something like that, i dunno. I think they've almost certainly set 10/10 as a date they want it available for, but as with everything else it'll be much later when it comes down to having something polished and bug-free etc. But im sure their focus will be SQ42, what with it being set in Manchester with the location being pretty much in sight of where they're building it.

Everything about it is just perfect for SQ42, everything except it probably being a little too soon. I think we'll see a repeat of DFM/Arena Commander, and most likely get it around a year from now, otherwise it'd be like releasing Avatar with chunks of effects missing and scenes incomplete. You want a polished experience IMO, otherwise you run the risk of ruining something special.

oh also this weeks comm-link schedule:

Howdy Citizens!
It looks like another busy week ahead. By popular demand, we're going to bring back the Starfarer on Friday for everyone who was asking about it during the Hull sale. But it seemed uninteresting to just re-release a ship, so we're putting together some new artwork, updating the stats and will do a Q&A next week like we did for the Hulls.

On the patch front, 1.1.2 is still available on the PTU and we're fending off some interesting bugs you've helped us discover. No release date yet, but this week is possible. There's also some discussion about a second PTU build if there's anything special we'd like to test.

We have a big post in the works about the FPS, as mentioned last week. Looking at putting it out Wednesday now... the updated character art I've seen so far is VERY cool, and I can't wait to have it out for everyone.

UPDATE: I completely forget, we have a small surprise for backers on Friday. It's just a fun little extra that one of our designers created in his spare time, but it's a lot of fun... tune in later in the week to find out more!

Monday, May 4th
- 10 for an FPS Producer

Tuesday, May 5th
- Meet the Devs: John Schimmel

Wednesday, May 6th
- Vault Update
- FPS Status Update

Thursday, May 7th
- Around the Verse Episode 43

Friday, May 8th
- Starfarer Update & Sale
- Reverse the Verse

Saturday, May 9th
- Reverse the Verse Archive Post

Sunday, May 10th
- Weekly Roundup

Looking forward to Friday now :D

FYI Pagan members, our site is playing up, has been reported to Enjin. From what I've been told it sounds like they're having some major hardware issues.

Well actually at the current rate it would be 2016, presume you don't read any of the reports?

Ignore him, he's a poor troll, replying to posts from over 6 months ago.

Dont really see what they get from it personally, but it probably makes sense to someone who was repeatedly dropped on their head as a child ;)

Apparently there should be a new 1.1.2 PTU build with updates & fixes late tonight. I havent bothered with them so far, i'll probably see what the status is of this update and if its looking positive then i'll wait for the public patch. If its still got issues, i might just download it and take a look. Im getting impatient and refusing to watch videos of it :o

Yeah, im not overly bothered about playing the currently playable parts at the moment, but the flight school is one of those 'babies first steps' type moments. When there are objectives beyond shooting other ships, thats when it'll start pulling me in. I'll look forward to combat within an open universe and because one party decides to open fire on another, but im not interested in cage fighting, and while i like racing sims, 'flight' racing doesnt really do it for me either. I'd do greycat racing though :D

I've been a little surprised that things *appear* to have slowed down though, go back to October & November, and we saw the landing sequence and a walk around. Then the FPS module including zero-g combat. 6 months on and the updates *we've seen* are the the examples/demos of how jump points will look and how mobiglas will integrate, and a version of the zero-g fps (now sataball) . I suspect thats a mixture of expecting too much, wishful thinking, and the difference between having scripted demonstrations and letting the public loose on it. I suspect theres tons of SQ42 stuff which is rightly being held back, as well as similar circumstances for FPS & Social/Planetside modules, where they're close but dont want to spoil a surprise, so it feels like a lull which plays nicely into the hands of those who like to insist CIG's sole focus is ship creation to make more money they dont really need cos they've hit their $20m target etc.

I do wish they were more open with progress of active ships, the new AtV segment 'Ship Shape' is definitely a step in the right direction, and hopefully Friday's look at the Starfarer (yey) will be the start of a regular thing, covering a brief Q&A and an update on its progress, and hopefully the following week its another ship - Xi'an Scout, Herald, Idris, Carrack, 890J etc. Caterpillar & Merchantman should be up there with the Scout IMO, but it seems neither have any updates in a heck of a long time, and it doesnt help when we see animated footage of the Orion, Vanguard & Hull series, and 3D holoviewer models of Reclaimers, Carracks etc, and yet told nobody is even working on these 2 ships announced and sold about 18 & 24 months ago.

I must be the exception, I love Arena commander - pain to setup on my mixed peripherals but once configured now I've got my 980 it's flippin great fun :)

Probably put in around 100 hours on it.

Ah it's the the trolls back on the weekly moan, have you actually backed the game or just like writing guff? If we are fan boys why is this thread full of us picking the development of the game apart ? it will come out when it's done rather than half finished like most games these days.

Back
Top Bottom