******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

$80.2m USD raised. Lordy lordy lordy, that is a lot of money! Be interesting to see how much this continues till the game is released!

For the all money they have raised the progression of this game is remarkably slow except for producing new ships to sell that is.

I have a horrible feeling this is going to be another dayZ...........

For the all money they have raised the progression of this game is remarkably slow except for producing new ships to sell that is.

Well they are currently about 60% of the way through their projected development time, they are certainly behind, but I wouldn't call it DayZ.

I mean we are at the stage where they've designed a ship with a modular design and literally scaled it up and added more engines and sold it at like four times the cost as a different version.

They should open a donate button, see how many people are willing to put their money where their mouth is when they say "I'm not buying a ship I'm pledging"!.

I'm sure loads will, I'm sure loads won't too!

Very good article here about star citizen and the comments also make for some very interesting reading.

"Fans Have Dropped $77M on This Guy’s Buggy, Half-Built Game"

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

Clickbait article is interesting?

A buggy half-built game? It's not even released and is clearly in alpha (a modular alpha at that). We're getting access to parts of the game development cycle that are usually closed off. Anyway people will find fault where they want to. Like it's been stated multiple times, you can pledge as little or as much as you want to development.

The game has only been in development for 2 and a half years and Star Citizen is aiming to have a scope far larger than any other game previously gone. To put that into context GTA V was in development for 5 years and had a much larger budget with a far smaller scope than SC. Did anyone get access to GTA V just over 2 years into development?...nope.

Last edited:

What is the current level of progression?

Can you please share the details on the FPS Module, Multicrew Ships, Planetside Module, Persistent Universe, SQ42, Economy System and the other 100 things that's currently on going.

Or is it solely ship building the company is doing?

How long do you think AAA games take to develop from scratch?

I already regret backing this (near day one), I just wanted a great space shooter in the vein of Wing Commander or TIE Fighter, not a way of life.

I don't think it will ever become good value for money, the Witcher 3 only has $30 million budget!!

The Witcher 3 isn't even on the same scale. Odd comparison, also doesn't value for money depend on the individuals investment more than the collective.

It's always the same comments about game progression/funding/scams... :|

There always will be detractors, such is the nature in this type of funding. What I find funny is the ignorance of expecting to pump out a AAA game in quick time just because they have a large sum of money. Games on this scale (like GTA V which is in fact smaller scale) usually have 5 year development cycles. SC is likely going to be closer to 6 but that's not unexpected.

People bemoan publishers like EA for rushing out games before they are ready but they are no better.

Back
Top Bottom