******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Associate
Don't take this as hate towards SC. I've invested FAR too much money to bring any hate. But I have to say, compared with Elite:Dangerous I find the AC module to be quite a let down.

Now the thing looks beautiful! and I have to say despite CF not working, the game runs very well too even on a single 290 @ 1440p and very high settings but I've got a few big gripes.

E:D has TrackIR support, extensive and excellent keybinding support for joysticks too. It works with multi GPU and has great graphical and audio customisation options. I know the two games are different but with SC having a larger fund pool, larger development time thus far (as far as i'm aware) and has suffered several extensive delays I think the initial release compared which E:D (Which i believe to be their closest competitor) is quite a large let down.

Both games feel good, but the serious lack of basic options (Controls, visuals, audio, peripheral support) in AC has really set it back when compared side by side.

To add to that, I find the HUD and basic tutorial information to be far superior in E:D.

I know that long term both games will deliver in spades, and both games are only going to get better with time. But i think in this particular instance, as someone who knows nothing about E:D prior to an impulse purchase yesterday, E:D delivers on all the points AC doesnt, and really has done a great job of setting itself ahead in these early stages.

Can't wait to see development and improvement from both though!

Same here the HUD is terrible in SC for me its the lack of depth perception because of visual clues on speed ect and the ridiculous arcadey turn speed.

Back to Elite and praying begging for a fix

Soldato
Well once I realised I had to put the helmet on ...

Graphically it is stunning although I feel the cockpits in the ships have far too many things that impede visibility. Audio is great and atmospheric. However, I find the actual flying quite poor and simplistic for my taste - it's another game where you don't feel like you are flying and are just a turret in space. Hopefully, this is something that they will address or I feel the experience will not be for me. Overall, though it was great to try and they have made great strides I just can't honestly say once I got past the wow factor of the graphics the gameplay was great.

Soldato
Do you pre-order games? If so, you can consider the current prices as a pre-order (you do get the game if you get the right package) plus all the benefits of beta etc. Just because a lot of people have paid A LOT of money to CIG, doesn't actually exclude the fact that the bog standard Aurora is normally priced pre-order!

Soldato
OP
Awwww, can I really part with the money to play a heavily unfinished game??? lol

Arguably two games, Squadron 42 (50 mission single player) and Star Citizen which is a persistent universe (centrally hosted game) with own/user hosted server option.

I've had my moneys worth already tbh, spent tons of times chatting, reading, writing and now playing :D

X55 owners the config "fix" has been in OP since yesterday. Tut tut ;)

Caporegime
Has there been any indication of how expensive the ships will be in game?

I can't decide between a few ships and so think if I do pre-order it'll likely be the Firefly so I can space truck around a bit.

Soldato
Has there been any indication of how expensive the ships will be in game?

I can't decide between a few ships and so think if I do pre-order it'll likely be the Firefly so I can space truck around a bit.
Firefly?, you mean the Freelancer? :p

I've got a Freelancer & a Cutlass - currently trying to resist getting a Constellation.

Soldato
OP
@platypus I'd take any indications of time in-game needed to buy a ship with a pinch of salt mate. My advice would be to buy the cheapest and work your way up if you've unsure. Having flown the Aurora MR last night I think it's got the best view in-game at the moment :)

Remember you could but in at the cheapest option and then melt that back (reclaim for store credit - just need to wait 24 hours after initially buying it) then upgrade to a more expensive package later on i.e. the Freelancer.

Soldato
OP
Ah yes the (current) eternal debate about upgrading my lancer and cutlass to a constellation... Especially now with the ability to upgrade and keep LTI!

I went from Aurora LN to 315P and 325A to Hornet. Actually regretting that second one, although it is growing on me :D

Soldato
Ah yes the (current) eternal debate about upgrading my lancer and cutlass to a constellation... Especially now with the ability to upgrade and keep LTI!
Haha, not just me then.

I may, drop the Freelancer & use that for half the cost of the Constellation - then keep the Cutlass.

This game is going to be an expensive hobby I feel.

Soldato
OP
Speaking of the Freelancer Platypus the release of Arena Commander has resulted in the latest update for it being put in the hangar, some screenies:

http://imgur.com/a/sy85E

Almost makes me wish I hadn't offered mine to an org mate :D

Whats the difference between the hangars? Just size?

Style is about the only difference. I have the deluxe one temporarily thanks to my Cutlass and to be honest I far prefer the look of the Standard and Business ones. They all have a different layout and feel but I'm not aware of different facilities in each, just placements i.e. in the Deluxe hangar I spawn at the side, in the business one I'm sure I use to spawn in the middle - could be wrong, been months!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It'll be interesting to see how our fleet info sheet changes now, we had something like 14 325As and only 1 hornet. Now it's down to 11 325A's and hornet/hornet ghost have gone up.

Caporegime
Speaking of the Freelancer Platypus the release of Arena Commander has resulted in the latest update for it being put in the hangar, some screenies:

http://imgur.com/a/sy85E

Almost makes me wish I hadn't offered mine to an org mate :D

Style is about the only difference. I have the deluxe one temporarily thanks to my Cutlass and to be honest I far prefer the look of the Standard and Business ones. They all have a different layout and feel but I'm not aware of different facilities in each, just placements i.e. in the Deluxe hangar I spawn at the side, in the business one I'm sure I use to spawn in the middle - could be wrong, been months!
Oh man, well now I do want one lol.

Ah well, I've pledged a 300i for now as I like the idea of doing a bit of mercing/BH maybe, and then I'll look at the freelancer.

I've sent a request to join up :).

Back
Top Bottom