******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
OP
So I am right, we have nothing at the moment after how many years and how much money?
Andi.

Actually no, if you bother to look into what they've produced you'll see a ton of very impressive technology, the question is when it'll ever be playable by the backers. Incidentally going back to a previous post you didn't "invest" you donated the money based on a promise, common misunderstanding with crowdfunding.

If in doubt ask for your money back they still give refunds apparently.

Soldato
Actually no, if you bother to look into what they've produced you'll see a ton of very impressive technology, the question is when it'll ever be playable by the backers. Incidentally going back to a previous post you didn't "invest" you donated the money based on a promise, common misunderstanding with crowdfunding.

If in doubt ask for your money back they still give refunds apparently.

I've seen what has been produced but it isn't what I invested my money for. However pretty/technical/impressive it might be it isn't what I hoped for.
Having said that I'm lucky enough to invested just enough so I don't need my money back. I'm just annoyed that what I was told about has changed so much and doesn't include a game.
Development should have been along original lines then expanded after what was offered had been delivered. It is like all huge developments it's requirement are forever changing so the result is always just out of reach. With such a huge investment why are there still calls for more money. Any good development would have stayed true to the original target and provided what was promised in a timely manner. What was originally offered was a WC/Privateer for naughties.
Andi.

Associate
Yet the kick starter was around the same time as elite? That game has been out two and half years now.

I'd love star citizen to be good, I really would.

Just seems to be one big con to me though :(
No offence, but your comparing two two games that are so far apart in what there aiming to achieve. No game can come close to what Star Citizen is even trying to accomplish, now wether it succeeds is another question, personally, I'm confident it will.

Associate
IAny good development would have stayed true to the original target and provided what was promised in a timely manner. What was originally offered was a WC/Privateer for naughties.
Andi.
That's like saying for example, you can buy a cinema ticket for £5 to watch a new upcoming movie, but then after you've paid you then get offered free cinema tickets for life. But then you say no thanks you don't want that you just want to watch the movie for £5.

MMO's last for a very long time, and CIG are building the game early on to be very easily expandable in the future. As the saying goes - take your time, get it right, don't rush. Rush is exactly what almost all other games have commonly done these last 15ish years and just look at the sheer numbers of complainers there was for just about every game come release. If CIG can't do it properly then no other developer company stands a chance.

Soldato
OP
I've seen what has been produced but it isn't what I invested my money for. However pretty/technical/impressive it might be it isn't what I hoped for.
Having said that I'm lucky enough to invested just enough so I don't need my money back. I'm just annoyed that what I was told about has changed so much and doesn't include a game.
Development should have been along original lines then expanded after what was offered had been delivered. It is like all huge developments it's requirement are forever changing so the result is always just out of reach. With such a huge investment why are there still calls for more money. Any good development would have stayed true to the original target and provided what was promised in a timely manner. What was originally offered was a WC/Privateer for naughties.
Andi.

No what was offered was something more akin to Freelancer with WC as the single player campaign leading up to entry into the freelancer style universe. Again you didn't invest, you threw money at a bet and we're still waiting to see if it paid off.

Scope expanded as money went in, hardly surprising when the backers themselves were constantly adding on requests for content and giving devs ideas. This wasn't a case of CIG just saying "sod it, what can we stick on next?" The backers were heavily to blame for this and showed encouragement for it by consistently throwing more and more money. It's still happening now by the way.

As I said, if you aren't happy get a refund, you'll then be able to buy back in if/when it's ever out. You've nothing to lose by doing that seeing as you're only after the single player by the sounds of it.

Soldato
No what was offered was something more akin to Freelancer with WC as the single player campaign leading up to entry into the freelancer style universe. Again you didn't invest, you threw money at a bet and we're still waiting to see if it paid off.

Scope expanded as money went in, hardly surprising when the backers themselves were constantly adding on requests for content and giving devs ideas. This wasn't a case of CIG just saying "sod it, what can we stick on next?" The backers were heavily to blame for this and showed encouragement for it by consistently throwing more and more money. It's still happening now by the way.

As I said, if you aren't happy get a refund, you'll then be able to buy back in if/when it's ever out. You've nothing to lose by doing that seeing as you're only after the single player by the sounds of it.

But single player is all that WC/Freelancer/Privateer offered so why shouldn't I expect that as an outcome over the MMO/FPS that everyone seems to be so over excited about.
I din't invest? LoL
If I cash in now and buy back in later I will lose so many promised items it's hardly worth it. It's a bit like Brexit, I need to stay in and make a fuss about what I want rather than everyone elses wishes.
Andi.

Soldato
But single player is all that WC/Freelancer/Privateer offered so why shouldn't I expect that as an outcome over the MMO/FPS that everyone seems to be so over excited about.
I din't invest? LoL
If I cash in now and buy back in later I will lose so many promised items it's hardly worth it. It's a bit like Brexit, I need to stay in and make a fuss about what I want rather than everyone elses wishes.
Andi.

The scope has expanded as stated and due to this the single player portion has as well so it's taken longer.

It will still be part of the outcome, just that outcome has had its deadline extended to make it better. We have also seen snippets of S42 and some outlines.

The fps, the ships, the planets which is what we are seeing being used now and in 3.0+ are elements that will both be in the MMO and single player.

I backed for the single player but the other parts are a bonus.

Someone mentioned the QTE in game. Not sure what they on about but when your making something that is simulated to be as true to life then it's needed. If you don't understand why then this is already not the game for you. I certainly don't want a black screen cut between events instead that most games do.

The other comments people try to compare to ED I will leave alone because they are just daft in the starting of trying to use that as an example.

However one thing to note is that Frontier during kickstarter had almost 200 devs working on it for a year before the kickstarter. So of course in the following 2 years they have more of a core game.

Three years total for 200 people to be working on a vastly more simplified game woI'll be expected to be finished with its core experience.

Soldato
But my point is why am I made to wait for something because the devs want to do something different. They could have concentrated on what they originally proposed and added the rest later, at least by now there would have been something. Taking that route would stop people fearing that the product will die a development death due to over engineering.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
I din't invest? LoL
Andi.
It's literally always been multiplayer too, go watch the first videos featuring Chris Roberts in the campaign. should they scrap that because a small number aren't keen on it? If you are playing single player only the additional items do nothing for you so refund and get on with Life?

If I hadn't been having a laugh testing this is have refunded a couple of years ago personally.

Soldato
You are still missing many points, I have no need to get a refund, I just want what was originally discussed, a space trading, fighting, story based game. What is fun about doing pretty much nothing but looking at pretty graphics.
Andi.
PS I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously ;)

Soldato
You are still missing many points, I have no need to get a refund, I just want what was originally discussed, a space trading, fighting, story based game. What is fun about doing pretty much nothing but looking at pretty graphics.
Andi.

But as said it always had S42 with 50 missions noted originally (not checked if changed since 2014) and the MMO side was there.

The scope change we are all on about effects both significantly and they are being worked on simultaneously. Difference is we can use Star Citizen to test everything for S42 to be released complete and working.

Everything that's in the game in terms of ships, planets, loadouts, fps, flying etc will all be in S42 so you in fact able to play parts of what S42 will have because we are still at testing base systems to get things to work.

The MMO will as such get the core game out sooner because it doesn't need the full filled out galaxy with all the story and missions set up to play.

I don't think your understanding what you've paid to be a part of in honesty. If you can't see how the playable parts we have now need to come before S42 then it will be s long road.

Caporegime
Would all those not happy with CiG
Andi.

You will get this, and a whole lot more besides.... i don't see your argument...

Anyway.

I'm going to the Nemo System, Water World, Space Whales and a lost RSI Aurora with legal significance.... :D

Soldato
OP
Andi.

Honestly I'm as relaxed as can be when it comes to those who are disheartened by how long it's taking for the game to come out, Humbug, Worzel and I have been playing the various modules together for years and we've done literally everything you can many times. We want more content and we're probably more aware than anyone just how little we've had added recently.

All of us wanted CIG to stop adding to the game at least a couple of years ago, more scope means more time and whilst I'm excited for the game coming out it's where I think ED got it partially right, they got the base game out and now intend to add to it - although to be honest I think the base game needs a lot of work which is why I prefer to play modules of Star Citizen to a fully released game :-/

I want SC now, but then again I also want what was promised and that simply hasn't been made yet so I'll wait, buy expensive HOTAS gear and keep playing!

Soldato
The telling thing for me is that I've spent probably 10x the amount of time in Star Citizen than I have in Elite
Funny... I've probably spent 10x the amount of money on SC than I have on Elite!!

I've seen what has been produced but it isn't what I invested my money for.
You invested nothing.
You gave your money to these guys, so they could make their game however they wanted to... the sole return on your money-giving is that they'll let you play their game if and when they ever release it. That's all you've done.

If CIG can't do it properly then no other developer company stands a chance.
That's not exactly saying much, given Chris Roberts' reputation, though... :D

If I cash in now and buy back in later I will lose so many promised items it's hardly worth it.
Promised items?
Real name in the game "somewhere"? Good luck finding it. Probably written in tiny text on the underside of a trash can in a dark corner of some far flung space derelict... As they said, there's no telling where it will end up.
Subscription to "exclusive" things that get freely reposted everywhere within hours, and then openly posted a month later? Big whoop.
Exclusive merchandise? Not once in the two or three years I was expecting it... unless I never got that memo?
Ah, you're desperately awaiting the spaceship-shaped flash drive?

Yeh...... Unless you're a high end backer and they promised you a real spaceship, I'd say you're not missing much!

The scope has expanded as stated and due to this the single player portion has as well so it's taken longer.
What? Feature creep? From a Chris Roberts game? Naw, never........!! :D

Someone mentioned the QTE in game. Not sure what they on about but when your making something that is simulated to be as true to life then it's needed. If you don't understand why then this is already not the game for you.
That was me.... and true to life?
I dunno what it's like inside your head, but when I climb a ladder into my spaceship, or get out of my spacebunk in the morning, my vision doesn't blur and my head doesn't lol all over the place like my neck muscles have turned to jelly.
Does the game do this in VR mode? I'd be sick to my stomach with that going on in a Vive!!

I certainly don't want a black screen cut between events instead that most games do.
Neither do I... But neither do I want FPS jog forced on me while robbing me of my visual control. It's just too fake and tantamount to ShakyCam in films. Might as well chuck in some J.J. lens flares for good measure!

But my point is why am I made to wait for something because the devs want to do something different.
Because that's what you paid them money to do.
They aren't bound to deliver to what you want. You basically paid them to do *whatever* they wanted... in the hope that they finish and release a game that you will want to play, in the end.

Taking that route would stop people fearing that the product will die a development death due to over engineering.
Their fears are not the Dev's concern, long as you keep paying money into their venture.

Soldato
What? Feature creep? From a Chris Roberts game? Naw, never........!! :D

That was me.... and true to life?
I dunno what it's like inside your head, but when I climb a ladder into my spaceship, or get out of my spacebunk in the morning, my vision doesn't blur and my head doesn't lol all over the place like my neck muscles have turned to jelly.
Does the game do this in VR mode? I'd be sick to my stomach with that going on in a Vive!!

Neither do I... But neither do I want FPS jog forced on me while robbing me of my visual control. It's just too fake and tantamount to ShakyCam in films. Might as well chuck in some J.J. lens flares for good measure!

Oh yeah I completely agree on your points. It just came across like it was going to be black screen and for the win.

But I do agree they need some work and tbh I am pretty sure they will. It just needs another pass as and when they get around to it.

And well depends how much I've been drinking ;) maybe it's where someone keeps messing around with gravity whilst you sleep :p

Soldato
I have invested as I didn't get anything for my money straight away.
As I invested, all the gifts for reaching goals during fund raising are no longer available to new investers.
Probaby time to stop winding you all up as you are obviously looking at this in a different way.
Andi.

Back
Top Bottom