******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Nah that's a piece of art :)

Game does look great though Tony :) can't wait to get my mits on 3.0 as it does look to hold some graphical fidelity improvements yet again :) will be sure to post some glamour shots in the ultrawide screens thread :D

it certainly is a piece of art, I'm wowed by how amazing that looks, need that as screensaver.

I really need to get back into it and pouring some time to learn the intricacies of the game and controls like you guys, but in it's current state I just find myself going meh...and believe me, I'm super super hyped at this game. But I don't want to burn out and lose interest before 3.0. I am massively pumped for 3.0, I imagine that's when I'll really start living on Star Citizen.

EDIT: Oh my, love my new desktop wallpaper, :)

Soldato
That is the thing with this. I have enjoyed following what is happening and not played it bar 30 mins here and there to see how things feel. Tbh I don't feel I need to really be adding more to development as they are heading in the direction I feel suits it.

The only part that is missing is the ability to construct organisation bases on moons/planets/asteroids etc. The ability to use the procedural system so that you could link buildings together. Something where you get the different structures such as comms. mess hall, hanger, warehouse, bunks, command post, trade centre & mining structure etc.

Then we could have the ability to gather resources needed to create the construction and as we do we can add our own touches, colourisation. You could have different hull types to the structures. The ability to stack them vertically as well as join using a corridor system or direct link so that structures can be unique to each organisation.

It means that you could keep things in warehouse rather than always lugging on the ships and at same time provide both a new trade/mining zone. It could be that this allows for ground and air assault building in the FPS side where we have planetary landing sorted. People can fight or trade over said stored resources.

Shield and turret points could be used just like on the ships. It would give much more to discover. They could even have NPC doing the construction works so a structures takes 'X' time to create until it is complete.

That I feel is the only part missing that I know had a brief discussion on the forums.

Associate
The only part that is missing is the ability to construct organisation bases on moons/planets/asteroids etc. The ability to use the procedural system so that you could link buildings together. Something where you get the different structures such as comms. mess hall, hanger, warehouse, bunks, command post, trade centre & mining structure etc.

Then we could have the ability to gather resources needed to create the construction and as we do we can add our own touches, colourisation. You could have different hull types to the structures. The ability to stack them vertically as well as join using a corridor system or direct link so that structures can be unique to each organisation.

It has actually been mentioned a few months back, rather casually too, and in a manner that made it seem like it is something they have planned for the future. To what extent, we dont know.

Years back, it was mentioned they'd like players to be able to own factories like those which were described in their economy video (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0qXEAqYIH8) like missile factories, however back then the universe was much more rigid, planets were modelled and landing zones were all we were getting really, so there had to be a finite number of facilities, which meant the huge orgs would dominate and everyone else just had to observe while the rich got richer. If they can implement the ability for us to establish our own facilities for HQs, then theres the possibility that those could also house warehouses and production lines for us to create *some* items ourselves to be more involved in the economy.
I'd be perfectly satisfied if 90% of our custom bases were underground, with just a surface landing pad, retracting roof, or something like that so the external stuff didnt need to be modelled and whatnot, making it a lot easier to expand without geographical complications. Now we're getting freedom to land on uninhabited planets, there should be near infinite space to build on/under, where very little of the land in the game is restricted - a few years back it would have been the exact opposite.

Given what they've managed to do already with the ProcGen planets, coupled with various other bits & pieces (huge maps, EVA to space flight to atmospheric entry to landing and walking around and getting into gunfights etc), what you mentioned doesnt seem too far fetched. They want to do a lot of this with the hangar modules, which has all gone quiet the last few years, so to re-purpose or expand it to include this may well be what ends up happening. Thats probably the 1 thing that hasnt really be spoken about which i'd love to see. I'd be more than happy with it being added in at v1.1 or something like that, though it does seem like something that should be present from the start given the impact it'd have and how much it'd change things all of a sudden.

https://youtu.be/6RwBFv0eae4?t=13m10s

On CR mentioning that with the ProcGen planets theres lots of real estate to build on, could we have org buildings...

CIG - Brian Chambers said:
"There is some lose discussion about that and I know there is documentation of what that would take. The possibility is absolutely out there. I know this is an incredibly soft answer, but technically there wouldn't be a reason why we can't do that. We wouldn't focus attention on that specifically though until obviously we have everything else completed."

Soldato

Cheers for the input. I have read about a few things in regards but they came across as reluctant because of the balance and technical requirements needed to make it work in the game in terms of gameplay rather that technical limits of the engine or coding.

I just see it as an ability that you have something such as:

Create command post - allows for zonal areas with defined boarder to stop others building right next to you (say 2km from centre).

Create additional elements/structures:
landing pad
hanger
comms station
bunks
Mess Hall
refining facility
holding cell
warehouse
armoury
power generators
trading station

These allow players to expand as they see requirement to do so.

The player could create different hull structures and then outfit the internals to be whichever structure type they like. Certain elements would require certain sized hulls with things such as hangers and refining facilities being more rigid due to their nature of requirements although have 3 or 4 versions of hanger & size would have course be possible.

with that the player can stack structures on one another and the procedural system can create a sub-frame to support the structure relative to it's geometric position/terrain.

The more generic hulls would be the bunks, mess hall, armoury etc where you select the shape/size you want and then outfit it. All these structures can either be placed direct against one another so they snap together or the use of corridor system can mean you are able to place them further apart. Then you can have different turret points, hull structures, shield generators that allow you to customise it further and offer defensive structures also.

It could be that your organisation controls what you are able to construct and/or quantities of buildings. So you can build one bunk hull that allows for up to say 10-15 in your organisation. Then as you organisation expands you can construct another bunk hull. That way people don't just build hundreds of structures and use space up. It also means you have to carefully balance your power/running costs as well.

You may well be able to build a refining facility but you have structure insurance (insurance from both natural disaster & attacks), you have the electric/gas/water costs that you need to cover. These again give purpose to the jobs in the PU.

The balance needs to be there and control so that the PU doesn't fill with thousands of abandoned structures but it is possible. There are a lot more structures as new jobs are also there as well of course. It would also allow the player to employ NPC's to run things such as the trading facility.

Other elements that can come into play as was mentioned on that is then raiding for resources from one another and that links into the FPS side.

But alas I think it would need months of work from a dedicated team to make work. I may mess about a little with designing some structures though in sketchup at some point and render them out at work over next few weeks if I have time.

Caporegime
Anyone know when they plan to add Anti Aliasing options ? So many jaggies, it kinda ruins the look of an otherwise great looking game.

Some of it can look a bit jaggies @ 1080P.

The game is based on Cryengine 3.7 which has Morphological AA, 5 different modes.

Morphological Anti-aliasing 1X, 1TX, 2X, 2TX and 4TX.

Go to (\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public) and make a User.cfg file in that directory

In the User.cfg type ( r_AntialiasingMode = # ) the # is the number from the list above that you want to use, so for example ( r_AntialiasingMode = 3 ) is Morphological Anti-aliasing 2X

It may no longer work given that CiG made a lot of modifications to the Engine, its worth a try, i would look at it for you but i have a lot of my own modifications that i would have to undo to see if its working, nope! :p

If not there are alternatives, you could use DSR or AMD's equivalent resolution up scaling which does reduce jaggies, if you upscale from 1080P to 1440P it does make a difference even if you are on a 1080P screen.
Or, both AMD and nVidia have post processing AA options you could apply in the drivers, again this is something that may or may not work, i know AMD's driver based post processing AA options do work in Cryengine but again Star Citizen is built on a modified engine.

Other options are SweetFX and the like....

Permabanned
I think the very high option as aa by default, I haven't seen jaggies on it ever tbh. What resolution are you playing at?

Im running at 1440p with max settings and DSR enabled (1.5x or something) and you can still see plenty of jaggies in certain lighting conditions.

The game is based on Cryengine 3.7 which has Morphological AA, 5 different modes.

Go to (\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public) and make a User.cfg file in that directory

In the User.cfg type ( r_AntialiasingMode = # ) the # is the number from the list above that you want to use, so for example ( r_AntialiasingMode = 3 ) is Morphological Anti-aliasing 2X

It may no longer work given that CiG made a lot of modifications to the Engine, its worth a try, i would look at it for you but i have a lot of my own modifications that i would have to undo to see if its working, nope! :p

If not there are alternatives, you could use DSR or AMD's equivalent resolution up scaling which does reduce jaggies, if you upscale from 1080P to 1440P it does make a difference even if you are on a 1080P screen.
Or, both AMD and nVidia have post processing AA options you could apply in the drivers, again this is something that may or may not work, i know AMD's driver based post processing AA options do work in Cryengine but again Star Citizen is built on a modified engine.

I'll look into those .cfg file tweaks, as mentioned above DSR improves it but still does not completely eliminate them.

Soldato

User CFG was broke/disabled in this patch mate :( my stuff doesn't work with them anymore.

Caporegime
^^^^^:(

Im running at 1440p with max settings and DSR enabled (1.5x or something) and you can still see plenty of jaggies in certain lighting conditions.

I'll look into those .cfg file tweaks, as mentioned above DSR improves it but still does not completely eliminate them.

From what you just said I'm just going to assume you have a powerful nVidia card...

So try this, i haven't tried this myself yet, so i will now.... or later, when i have had a shower, its gonna be another hot day :O

sdf.png

safd.png

Caporegime
Nothing is working.... not even nVidia's post processing AA.

I think CiG stripped out Cryengine CVars, which is how all these strings work, the console isn't even responding to my code strings, it should at least acknowledge the commend in some way, nothing....

Post process 8X AA.

8_X.jpg

Off

0_X.jpg

And Console CVars...

Back
Top Bottom