******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
But generally an Alpha release is something that bears some reasonable resemblance of what the final game will be about I guess?

(I really do hope so!)

It doesn't come close to meeting that IMO.

Maybe when we get one full system in + most of the professions we will be there.

3.0 mostly brings in some moons to explore. Dont get me wrong, its going to be pretty awesome to explore some giant moons, but it doesn't really make it much closer to being a game (I know some other bits are going in too like basic cargo and the like)

Caporegime
3.0 is the foundation of the game, that's why its taken so long, its the point at which all of the critical systems and tool are in and working, now its a case of putting it all together, 3.0 is also the very very beginning of that, it has a part, just a part, a small part of one star system, Stanton.

Associate
It seems like a solid foundation to me. I'm more interested in if they are able to maintain the quarterly update schedule. In 3.1 it's mining iirc & that's one thing I really want to have a go at.

Associate
well if that's true them i'm screwed cos i've only got 16Gb, due to the Windows RAM cap.
Don't worry this is temporary, its a bug.
It was and I can confirm on the build afterwards it was running fine with no hitches just the odd slowdown every now and again.
I only have 16gb of memory and it uses 12 to 13gb from what I have seen.
Will that be enough in the long run? Possibly after optimisations ect.
Just to add I am running a Samsung M2 ssd so no octane drive here.

Caporegime
It was and I can confirm on the build afterwards it was running fine with no hitches just the odd slowdown every now and again.
16GB will be fine, it's a bug that's cropped up and they'll sort it at some point.

Right ^^^ tho it is not completely fixed yet, the odd CPU spike freeze does creep in on full servers in high content areas, especially at 1440P.

While on the subject of hardware i would recommend 16GB, once this bug is completely gone i'm sure 8GB will work but with a lot of paging which will not be smooth, for GPU's 6GB like the 6GB variant GTX 1060 has more than enough grunt for 1080P but the 3GB variant does not have enough V-Ram, older card like the 4GB R9 290/X - GTX 970/80's also have enough grunt but i feel are on the limits of V-Ram, my 1070 will use 5GB at 1080P and 6.7GB at 1440P, the game uses that because it can, because its available and will make do with less but IMO 4GB is the limit, below that it will probably start paging textures and that will slow the whole thing right down.

Edit: not forgetting AMD's 8GB 390/X -RX4/580's also have plenty of muscle to run this comfortably, as long as they are the 8GB variants, don't know if they also come in 4GB variants?

Its look's really nice but surprisingly it doesn't require the best GPU's, it runs perfectly well on mid range GPU's.

Last edited:
Soldato
ta for the confirmation. do we know if the huge wad of used memory is mostly game code, or huge textures? this whole "must be 4k" stuff narks the Hell out of me and there was already comments about going to 8k for textures.

Soldato
ta for the confirmation. do we know if the huge wad of used memory is mostly game code, or huge textures? this whole "must be 4k" stuff narks the Hell out of me and there was already comments about going to 8k for textures.

Not a clue but the idea that they wanting full fidelity and detail kinda negates the requirement to utilise 4k textures. They do actually only use them where required and ramp down the textures depending on LOD's significantly as far going down to 512 pixel mapping.

Associate
I suppose that if the game part fails, you'll always have a wallpaper simulator to fall back on.:D

TBH i think it won't fail. It is a sandbox MMO, here are the tools do what you want, and the pace of it is slow, like 15-20 min to do a cargo mission altogether with trading taking off, flying, landing, etc. So it's not for the battlefield runarounds, or the people who need a gem holding their hand and guiding all along. It is awesome already in it's current for if you enjoy this type of gameplay, if you can enjoy the beauty of it, and things happening on the way to your destination.

Soldato
3.0 t be released before xmas?

No idea but honestly based on the current PTU status I would hope not. It isn't that I don't want access, it is that people will shred it in media and similar because they really don't get test phases of Alpha builds and where things are. There so much FUD out there it makes it almost impossible to now release any patch that wont run for the general backer and gone are the times where the point was to test and now people just want to play. It is a small part of why it has slowed down the release to the general backers.

Caporegime
They want it out for Christmas, badly, but if they can't fix these bloody 30000 code error disconnects and the CPU hitching its not going to happen.

Those code 30000 disconnects BTW have been there since the very beginning of testing, in all that time they haven't found the last causes of it, in fact for the last several patches have been the same as the last, and the one before it, the one before that......

Soldato
Honestly really doubt it, it needs a lot of work but they rushed it out of Evocati for the anniversary sashes so you never know..
So should we safely assume mid next year or end of next year for 3.0? Dont forget, over a year ago 3.0 was supposed to be ready.

I remember seeing the first 3.0 video this time last year landing on a planet and doing a mission on it

Soldato
OP
It's like Humbug says there are a few really annoying messages, performance isn't great.. Just feels half ****** to be honest. As lovely as it is and as much as I enjoy it compared to what I played weeks ago before it went to Wave 1 PTU this is poor. I'd personally if I was CIG dial back server size to 20 people again to begin with, I don't see the benefit in having 50 slot servers, maybe they are trying to show progress but to me it's a step back when the clients get worse performance partially due to that (somehow).

It'll be out by Christmas, although I doubt it'll be worth playing unless they have a few really good fixes already in the works.

Soldato
It's like Humbug says there are a few really annoying messages, performance isn't great.. Just feels half ****** to be honest. As lovely as it is and as much as I enjoy it compared to what I played weeks ago before it went to Wave 1 PTU this is poor. I'd personally if I was CIG dial back server size to 20 people again to begin with, I don't see the benefit in having 50 slot servers, maybe they are trying to show progress but to me it's a step back when the clients get worse performance partially due to that (somehow).

It'll be out by Christmas, although I doubt it'll be worth playing unless they have a few really good fixes already in the works.
Damm that does not bold well

Caporegime

It seems fine up to about <45 players, you may remember i have been on servers with around <50 FPS and 40+ people on it, as soon as it starts to get to about 45 the performance slows dramatically and latency and general 'not quite right funniness' starts to creep in.

Cap it at 45 the servers seem to be happy with that, i don't understand this push to get those last 5 in, the new netcode isn't in yet so when that is all this 45 vs 50 players shenanigans will have been for nothing, all it is right now is better server hardware. they updates the CPU's n'stuff

Back
Top Bottom