******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
CIG is facing the horsemen of the apocalypse and no amount of go get them Ortwin is going to fix this. The guys representing Crytek recently won a $500m case against facebook.

Soldato
Panos I do agree that on the face of it that it looks bad. I do think that from the initial document it also looks like they have previously broken things but this is from one side that will paint the picture they want. We would need to see the contract to know any of what is said and how it relates.

CIG didn't bought the CryEngine code, they got a licence to use it and Crytek gave them that after signing the contract, there was even a clause to send bug fixes to Crytek.
It was not theirs (CIG) to hand out the CryEngine source code to the third party company. That alone is copyright infringement in a very big scale. Pure and simple.

As for the lawyers, if you read the court documents, will be paid by the defendant. And given the case and the lawyers involved, I believe the guys knew well the case they took over and the chances to get their money.

Soldato
CIG is facing the horsemen of the apocalypse and no amount of go get them Ortwin is going to fix this. The guys representing Crytek recently won a $500m case against facebook.

Yes. They are done.

Look at this. According to the court documents, Crytek made all the Star Citizen demo videos the previous years! Including the famous ones in 2012 that launched the game!
They weren't made by Roberts and the "game engine" as he claimed on the videos.
But by Crytek using custom tools over the CryEngine.

Soldato
CIG didn't bought the CryEngine code, they got a licence to use it and Crytek gave them that after signing the contract, there was even a clause to send bug fixes to Crytek.
It was not theirs (CIG) to hand out the CryEngine source code to the third party company. That alone is copyright infringement in a very big scale. Pure and simple.

As for the lawyers, if you read the court documents, will be paid by the defendant. And given the case and the lawyers involved, I believe the guys knew well the case they took over and the chances to get their money.

That was the original term in 2012. The document doesn't state anything about what CIG stated in 2014 where they said they had indeed purchased the code completely and standalone though. They said they had legal ownership of the source code in 2014 and thus all of the claim becomes an issue then. We don't know as we have no evidence either way right now.

Edit: and yeah they will still be paid something up front with either fees reclaimed if paid by the current part or the percentage otherwise claimed once the case is won/lost. If CryTek loose they will still be paying the lawyers.

And they still have to pay for them doing the initial legal and similar, that is still tens of thousands of dollars to do that.

Soldato
Yes. They are done.

Look at this. According to the court documents, Crytek made all the Star Citizen demo videos the previous years! Including the famous ones in 2012 that launched the game!
They weren't made by Roberts and the "game engine" as he claimed on the videos.
But by Crytek using custom tools over the CryEngine.
I don't know if they are done yet the SC community has proven time and time again that they will throw money at them but it's not looking good. It's been common knowledge that CR lied on the kickstarter that he has already been working on the game, now we know that Crytek was responsible for the kickstarter content.

I find it funny that Crytek, the company that made the SC kickstarter possible, went overnight from "the best game engine ever, german geniuses etc." to "scumbags that want to leech money for their failing company" :D

Caporegime
I have read part on the lawsuit, not all of it yet.

And it is just from the plaintiffs side.

With all that said the claim seems to be that Crytek provided assets, code and the engine at a reduced fee in return for publishing the game under the Cryengine banner, of course CIG are no longer going to do that.

Edit: yes including helping them with raising money during the kickstarter and subsequent stretch goals.

Soldato

With all that said the claim seems to be that Crytek provided assets, code and the engine at a reduced fee in return for publishing the game under the Cryengine banner, of course CIG are no longer going to do that.

In addition to exclusively use CryEngine no other engine, for one game only named Star Citizen, and the source code was given with the clause for Crytek to get annually the patch fixes CIG does to the CryEngine.
On the contrary CIG went even further giving to others the source code of the CryEngine, breaking copyright laws.

Caporegime
Edit: I see ^^^ ok :)

Edit: yes including helping them with raising money during the kickstarter and subsequent stretch goals.

I'm conflicted about this, if true, i like CiG but have also got antiquated with some of the CryTek developers and they are a good bunch, the whole thing is just really sad, i think CIG made the right call in moving to Lumberyard but if CryTek's complaint is true then i just wish CIG would have worked harder at a compromise.

Back
Top Bottom