******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
I think the funniest thing people like to use as a 'money grab' argument is the total funding....
That's how much they've received..... not spent.....
If they announced they need more money to finish it and 3.0 is all they've got then yeah, there's a big problem here. But unless I've missed it they've not said how much money they've spent/still have. So there's no real comparison to be had with other games

Soldato
which kinda goes back to my opinion that if they do have enough money they need to stop this $50-for-a-stick-that-give-you-no-advantage-benefit lark. they're not helping their image at all.

Soldato
Oh defiantly
It's 100% because they're sticking to their pledge that they won't sell things after release, so doing it now while people might chuck money in.

IMO it'd be better doing those things when they KNOW they're in the last 8-10 months of dev, when they have a release date they're confident with, massive cash grab as a hype train :p

Soldato
Oh defiantly
It's 100% because they're sticking to their pledge that they won't sell things after release, so doing it now while people might chuck money in.

IMO it'd be better doing those things when they KNOW they're in the last 8-10 months of dev, when they have a release date they're confident with, massive cash grab as a hype train :p

teehee you said defiantly :p

And I'm sure that some of the more knowledgeable people here have stated they will be selling currency and maybe land?? This is after release date I think.

Soldato
OP
No offence but I've no idea who you are and what we talked about a few weeks ago. You might be taking this too seriously. I read tons of stuff every day and once in a while I reply when I see something that interests me without keeping names, times etc. Most of the time I don't even quote people. In the videos I've seen Roberts things did look a bit extravagant. I was talking about the leadership not the average programmer.

you can see Chris Roberts office in most of the videos he's in as the 10 for the chairman episodes were shot in there. It's also featured in the very first around the verse.

Soldato
for the reasons we've been over multiple times. for have 4 "major" studios we're still seeing nothing really playable in the real sense of a game, not sure what the mocap is doing, seems to be bits on various trailers for new ships etc and various comments about crap-looking animations that i can't comment on but which shouldn't even be raised as a commetn if mocapping is being used, i'd think - unless they're mocapping rubbish actors.
as for all this alien languages, this is all the unutterable ***** that is wasting time and effort. some fanboys bleat about wanting to be able to speak Vanduul or whatever [oooh, let's be like the trekkies who speak klingon!!] and time, money and effort is wasted coming up w/ unecessary rubbish like that instead of putting that time money and effort into hitting targets.
and as for "looking for more money", goog suggests [as a random example] that Skyrim cost, including marketing, $90m, Battlefield 4 cost $100m ~ SC has $172m you say and still "needs more". and you ask why i think there's an issue.

The animations are excellent in 3rd person and well structured. The parts around them are having issues now because other tools and similar are not in place which is why the animation video up above was linked to show what they was working on. There are things that they are tweaking but generally other than honestly in this forum and stuff from DS I haven't seen any critics really hitting the animations apart from when they break but that is Alpha.

The running, walking, general movement of the players and subtle differences to facial animations and similar are very well executed. Rubbish actors aren't the problem unless your calling out Gary Oldman and similar ;)

A lot of people backed the game because they wanted something that does more than other games in terms of lore, alien races with languages and similar offers for them. No it isn't for everyone but there is dozens of other games for that. It isn't unnecessary rubbish though to a lot. Just because it isn't what you want doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to have something they would like. I mean I am not bothered by it myself but I appreciate that something is being done in the gaming industry that doesn't happen often and there is a different level of detail being produce that does not always happen.

Skyrim
Skyrim is fine but it is a limited game built of an engine and features that was set up to do what it wants. I pointed out that SC & SQ42 are separate fully fledged games so at the current $172 million when brought up that would be $86 million for making the game and all their marketing to date. So so far it is about at level of Skyrim in terms of cost for SC in that terms assuming that they have spent every penny to date. If they have $22 million left then so far they have spent $75 million to getting here. And tbh assuming 3.1 drops with the mechanics in game for mining that would offer as much as Skyrim offers in pure gameplay loop terms (of course there a story line there etc) however the game-loop for Skyrim is explore and have battles, technically you can do that in the PTU of 3.0 so when 3.1 drops and you get mining added then you have twice as many game-loops as that of Skyrim.

Not to mention the scale of Skyrim, we know it fits in one crater on one asteroid in one system of what SC is trying to produce. Hopefully Stanton when done during the 3.X loop over the next 12 months will show the large variation of what we can expect from 115+ systems. I would say that there is a way to go of course but creating tools to produce this take 3+ years to create. It is why licencing an engine used to be so expensive. The money spent doing such things is huge, the time outlay is as well. Skyrim didn't have any of that to really content with due to how it was developed in that they used the Havok system for all the animation side and plugged it into their engine which although new was built of their own internal previous engine.

There are some nice things in Creation engine though like weight to tree branches and waterflow which add subtleties but is that any different to an alien language or lore? Does it for instance add to the main gameplay loop, no but do we praise games for details, of course.

Battlefield 4
Battlefield 4 is a rehash of Battlefield 3 and expanded on, nothing wrong with that, but not something you can really compare in my opinion. The fact it cost so much with so little added between 3 & 4 shows the cost of what a new IP with new lore, new completely custom assets need especially when you have to concept a lot more. Battlefield 4 for instance has so many real world references that they needed much less time and budget to work through their concept assets. It is a completely different game again.

You are really not comparing anything close in terms of what the games are to what the budgets are. It is pretty hard to nail down a game that has been developed like this in terms of new IP on such a large scale in such detail whilst trying to offer such variance in gameplay loops for all players.

A True Example to Compare - SW:TOR
So let's take a game that is as close to SC as we have seen and where it stands with that to at least get somewhat relative comparison. SW:TOR if you include all the expansions in terms of gameplay loops is the closest that has been produced.

That cost between $150-$200 million + $65 million in marketing (or $164.5 - $219 million + $71 million in marketing in today's monies) to produce from an established studio with known targets, had all the assets, lore and similar to fall back on since it of course a massive IP.

It started development in terms of writing in 2006 and released in 2011. Patches have been released right up to 2016 to get it to what it is now. That would equate to 10 years development and of course more funds coming in via subscriptions. This is what SC is trying to be on day one of release whilst also producing a second game along side it and not having the need for subscriptions later. They will need a pot from something with tens of millions in to keep servers going for SC and that is what SQ42 should provide them.

Let's take the fact that development started 2011 with CR and a few mates initially, that is fine. I am not going to suggest it started 2014 or anything. So we are 6 years in however just like Star Wars first two really being working out what is going on and getting the base gameplay loops figured out, the basics for lore, aliens and similar.

End Conclusion
With that we can see the requirements, time and cost to do such a game are huge because of the game type that it is. Comparing them to other games doesn't work if they are not at least holding true to the main gameplay loop of what SC is doing.

And we really need to consider there 4 studios working on 2 games here rather than 450 people working on one game.

Soldato
teehee you said defiantly :p

And I'm sure that some of the more knowledgeable people here have stated they will be selling currency and maybe land?? This is after release date I think.

UEC has always been on the sales list. I still hate that and think it makes up a little part of PW2 as defined by the guidelines I have worked in. However others don't agree as they say it is limited so people can get ships to which I always counter with having pUEC (Purchased UEC) as a separate currency that can only be used on ships then.

It still doesn't stop some players being able to put in 50 hours a week and purchase that but it would otherwise need the game to track your play on a weekly basis and offer you the amount you can buy of UEC per week on a sliding scale so if you been in game 50 hours you can only purchase £5 worth of UEC. You not had chance to play and thus only got 4 hours of game time you can purcahse £20 worth of UEC that week.

It means you can not get a leg up by being able to grind and purchase at same time. You cannot role over more than 4 weeks of no gameplay so for instance you go:

Week 1 - 3 hours
Week 2 - 5 hours
Week 3 - 0 hours
Week 4 - 5 hours

Then you can purchase in total £80 of UEC for those 4 weeks. Come to week 5 though and you put in 20 hours you loose your week 1 allowance, it drops to £60 of UEC and you can purchase £10 work for week 5 meaning you lost out on £10 UEC but that is because you haven't been in game at all.

That is about as fair a system as I can work out to whilst also only allowing it to be spent on ships (oh and maybe cosmetics as they have zero gameplay value).

The land claims are going to in game purchase at release just like the ships.

Soldato
First of all, I don't think you should be comparing SC to one of the biggest disasters in modern gaming. SWTOR released after 5 years and it was a passable MMO. SC after 6 years does not have a single working gameplay loop and no one has any idea of how basic mechanics such as mining will work and be implemented into the game. Furthermore, the netcode is in shambles and every activity in the game just feels wrong and clunky. There is simply no other project in history of gaming that can be compared with SC in terms of incompetency and lack of progress.

Associate
First of all, I don't think you should be comparing SC to one of the biggest disasters in modern gaming. SWTOR released after 5 years and it was a passable MMO. SC after 6 years does not have a single working gameplay loop and no one has any idea of how basic mechanics such as mining will work and be implemented into the game. Furthermore, the netcode is in shambles and every activity in the game just feels wrong and clunky. There is simply no other project in history of gaming that can be compared with SC in terms of incompetency and lack of progress.

And yet with each patch to the ptu 3.0 release, bugs are getting fixed and things are expanding and getting better, there’s a lot more happening than we know about, and the money continues flooding in.

Associate
I can now land! \o/ but can't get out of the pilots seat if I rebind the key from f which took a while to work out! Dump question, is the Hornet a free ship like the Sidewinder is in Elite that you'll always have access to even if you run out of bought ships & money? (think the other one I have that isn't the Cat & Mustang is called Hornet)

Soldato
Apologies if this has been asked before. I've not followed the development for years. Is information pertaining to how much is being spent and on what, freely available? Can I assume that if I were to buy a ship at this stage, the money won't be spent on funding someones desire to own a Porsche (for example).

Soldato
Apologies if this has been asked before. I've not followed the development for years. Is information pertaining to how much is being spent and on what, freely available? Can I assume that if I were to buy a ship at this stage, the money won't be spent on funding someones desire to own a Porsche (for example).
Look at what your money would buy you ingame, and if your ok with that, you only really need to spend about 50 quid on a starter package and ship, aurora or mustang, no need to spend more than the cost of a current AAA game, remember this is an Alpha game, we have a long way to go, hopefully development will come fast next year, mining and other such stuff.

Soldato

In a word, no

Soldato

Yeah so they pay wages of course. So technically funds are being spent on development and someone could buy a Porsche if they desire :/

However if you mean are they taking 25% as profit as a company per say. No, all the funds right up to release of SC are being put back into development. So of course they pay themselves and staff wages. Some like to suggest otherwise that they paying themselves more than the industry standard but there no actual evidence of this.

Now if you think they should be paying themselves an industry standard wage is up to you. However my personal view is that I would want to be paid what I am worth so it is really only a moral point for the CR and his family members as you could possibly suggest that they take a minimum viable wage but really would you pay yourself less than your job commands? I don't know.

Other than that though, out of whatever spent that is not going to some massive offshore account. It wouldn't be feasible to do with 400+ staff and 5 studios and actually produce anything, the PTU patches show they are working on things and actually producing software.

It kills off accusations that SC is vaporware although I never got that either. We clearly have had software to utilise and play as such since near the beginning. Vaporware would suggest it is all on paper with nothing for an end user to interact with. The problem with the project because of the high funds is a lot of it has got political between people and like any debate spin doctors both sides likely push the edge of what is being said.

I mean I have heard people say that 3.0 is MVP which is ridiculous as it clearly isn't. It wouldn't be close to that till 4.0 in honesty where we expect a half dozen different gameloops, 5-10 full systems and 80% of the announced ships flyable tbh. That becomes an MVP as it would technically fulfill the original brief that a lot brought into.

You can get involved for as little as $45 though so no one has been forced to give the funds and so it is down to people to really decide what they want to put in.

Soldato
OP
Is anyone playing 3.0?

I am finding I have a connection error or the lag/cpu spikes are making it un-testable for me unfortunately.

It should improve as they're throwing out patches quite quickly now. It's not as playable as it was in Evocati but some of the stuff we had in that apparently caused problems elsewhere so they are working to resolve those.

Back
Top Bottom