******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Caporegime
I'm using a normal sata 3 SSD.would a nvme make a difference?

It shouldn't matter from crashing, anything other than a dizzy disk is fine, i do think your locked page file might be a problem.

A faster drive like an NVMe might give you better performance, i don't know TBH its hard to measure performance in this game as it changes from server to server. But the fastest drive you can get for this game i think is a good idea, it does stream a lot in and out and that's very drive access heavy.

Associate
Well that's plenty of GPU..... Let Windows do the page file, i remember locking mine to 16GB because of SSD space and it didn't like it, i have a larger NVMe drive now..

Once i'm in it runs for hours without crashing.

Humbug you are a star mate! Turns out my D drive had no page file management only C:. Now sorted and running great. I've had to do a reset though as I'm unable to enter any of my ships pilot seats. It has happened before. Thanks again

Associate
How did you create a page file management?

Right-click on This PC, then left-click on Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > Performance. Click Settings, then advanced then virtual memory tab

Just check there that page file is system managed. My C was but not D or E

Caporegime
Mine only crashes due to 30k errors mostly

That's the server going down...

Humbug you are a star mate! Turns out my D drive had no page file management only C:. Now sorted and running great. I've had to do a reset though as I'm unable to enter any of my ships pilot seats. It has happened before. Thanks again

Fantastic :)

Soldato
Anyone who thinks by far the most complex/ambitious game software development ever initiated was going to be accomplished in 1-2 years, no matter what was "said", doesn't know anything about software development.

Wasn't that Chris Roberts ? :D

Yeah that was their own estimates at the time. So vega is saying that I shouldn't have believed the makers of the game when it was going to be finished/remotely being closed to final product?

Associate
That's the server going down...

Fantastic :)

Ah balls, spoke too soon!! It is definitely better but always crashes when I get in a ship, get it flight ready and then go into the options menu. Now I could just not go into the options menu but my ship controls are all buggered and I have to adjust them as I fly. At the moment for some reason the ship just spins uncontrollably. So I need the options menu! Not a lot to ask really. It never did this before and I have played for hours previous to 3.9. Maybe I just have to wait for 4.0. However since doing the page file thing it seems to be fine now when anywhere but a ship.

Soldato
Right-click on This PC, then left-click on Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > Performance. Click Settings, then advanced then virtual memory tab

Just check there that page file is system managed. My C was but not D or E

You dont need a pagefile for each drive and for this to fix it is rather strange. Having just one on the C: is enough (or wherever is most space/fastest drive)

Associate
You dont need a pagefile for each drive and for this to fix it is rather strange. Having just one on the C: is enough (or wherever is most space/fastest drive)

You are bang on mate it didn't work. I actually think the extended time I got today without it crashing was to do with there being far less load on the servers from today. I've a couple more ideas to try but failing that I'll leave it until it's patched.

Associate
Ah balls, spoke too soon!! It is definitely better but always crashes when I get in a ship, get it flight ready and then go into the options menu. Now I could just not go into the options menu but my ship controls are all buggered and I have to adjust them as I fly. At the moment for some reason the ship just spins uncontrollably. So I need the options menu! Not a lot to ask really. It never did this before and I have played for hours previous to 3.9. Maybe I just have to wait for 4.0. However since doing the page file thing it seems to be fine now when anywhere but a ship.

Right I think I have sorted the constant crashing problem. I got one of these bits of software that analyses your PC for outdated drivers. Turns out loads was out of date. I updated everything it suggested and fingers crossed all seems good! I flew about for a while, went into the options menu and so far no crash. Controls all seem to be behaving now too.

Caporegime
Right I think I have sorted the constant crashing problem. I got one of these bits of software that analyses your PC for outdated drivers. Turns out loads was out of date. I updated everything it suggested and fingers crossed all seems good! I flew about for a while, went into the options menu and so far no crash. Controls all seem to be behaving now too.

Let us know how it goes.. :)

Soldato
Morning all.

I have been a backer since 2016 and the state of the game back then only had port oliser and could only fly around the solar system but could not land on a moon let alone a planet.

Since then, each year around Nov/Dec time i check out the game again playing for a few hours just to check the latest development and prior to relaunching it a few weeks ago, the last time i checked out the game was almost 2 years ago when they finally built a fully fledge planet and city (Hurston/Lorville)

Despite that, i was still not convinced that this deserved no more than a few hours of my time at most and left the game until now....

Since then and now, there has been massive improvements that makes this a vaiable game to play at its state and below are some of the things in-game now that makes it more of a game you can play instead of testing it out.

• Large amount of different kinds of missions you can do(deliveries, dogfights, FPS mercenary shootings and bounty hunting npc's or other players, see point 3)
  • Making money(By mining or trading/delivering materials in demand, either legal or illegal stuff)
  • Crimestat(Become a criminal by selling illegal substances or killing the good guys
  • If caught as a prisoner, You go to jail(Max crimestat of 5, aka like gta's crime ratings and you stay in prison for over 10hours in real time but you can try and escape through the tunnels or take up a job and do some mining there to reduce your sentance)
  • persisting the money and items yo have generated(Prior to 3.8, every update would wpe everything yu have obtained)
Based on the above, i have aflready put in almost 20h of game time!

There are some annoying bugs still though below:

• 30k server crashes(Makes doing trade deliveries risky as if you crash midway from delivering a cargo you bought for say 10k but could make 50k, you lose your cargo and your money)
  • Some doors/elevators dont open properly and sometimes get stuck
  • jittery frames in some place like Area 18
  • Some missions are broke/bugged ie last night i was doing a dogfight misisons, i killed all the enemies yet the mission never completed. The mission was to elimate all enemies and i did and i even waited in the area for more to appear but nope.
  • Last week had awful login server issues due to free flight week
  • NPC enemies are a bit static and dumb when you engage them in FPS combat on foot.
Other then that, there is plenty of stuff you can do to keep you entertained and highly recommend you check it out

Caporegime
I did the Caterpillar Prisoner Mission last night.

While the NPC's were a bit easy, they often don't react to you quick enough.... the server was running really sweet last night and for the first time i've seen some quite interesting behaviour from them, one guy i shot from range, he dropped his gun, held his leg up in his hands and starts hopping around, another one i caught him low, he fell to the ground and starts rolling around on the floor holding his crotch, never seen that before.
Once i started freeing prisoners more NPC ships appeared, they found my empty ship outside, destroyed it and then started circling the Cat like sharks telling me how they were going to get me, i completed the mission and managed to get out EVA'ing away.... i had no ship, i set up a beacon for real players to come and pick me up, 5000 aUEC payment for it, someone took it, what i didn't know is i had a 20,000 aUEC bounty on my head, which he has also picked up, he killed me as soon as i boarded his ship and collected the bounty.

I'm now in prison for 13 hours, i'll start mining to reduce that sentence...

If only i had a friend on the server to come and pick me up. :)

It was fun, and exciting, as soon as you start killing a bounty gets sent out, from then on you have limited time before real players turn up to kill you, it adds a level of dread and urgency on what you're doing, its the same when you're smuggling illegal contraband, you get stopped by the police and scanned suddenly everyones after you...

It has filled out into a game in the last couple of years, there is actually quite a lot to do, peacefully or dangerously earn your money, use it to kit your personal weapons and armour out, improve your ship with better system components and weaponry, much like anyother game, and there is plenty of that.

Back
Top Bottom