******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Just watched this. Did they really spend a year updating the graphics? Are they just trying to find things to do to avoid releasing the game?

Also given I know nothing about that game other than that video, are they supposed to all be androids? There didn't seem to be much emotion and their eyes all appeared "dead". Then I started wondering if that was a plot mechanic to explain being able to respawn if you die, because you're just an android so can just activate another copy or something?
It's had a lot more than a graphics upgrade between the two there clearly. And the eyes are some of the best I've ever seen in a game like ever.

They actually have emotion and life with the wrinkle maps moving and conveying their mood as the battle plays out.

Such an odd take on everything shown honestly. Not sure what you watching lol.

To name a few things though
- new lighting
- new character animations
- new character shades
- update ship shades
- updated audio
- updated ship animations

That from the two parts we can compare. Still yeah sure that is part of what is updated since last year. How do you think games are developed. They don't pop into existence.

Cyberpunk 2077 had 18 months of Polish before release and then took 24 months after to be cleaned up finally whilst having similar updates in that time.

Edit: oh the Jav ship model has been completely redone to gold standard ready for release compared to the WIP models before.

Edit 2: reworked UI via the mobiglass etc. Updated the cloth sim for all the clothing to more detailed

Last edited:
It's had a lot more than a graphics upgrade between the two there clearly. And the eyes are some of the best I've ever seen in a game like ever.

They actually have emotion and life with the wrinkle maps moving and conveying their mood as the battle plays out.

- new lighting
- new character shades
- update ship shades
- updated audio

That from the two parts we can compare. Still yeah sure that is part of what is updated since last year. How do you think games are developed. They don't pop into existence.

Cyberpunk 2077 had 18 months of Polish before release and then took 24 months after to be cleaned up finally whilst having similar updates in that time.

Edit: oh the Jav ship model has been completely redone to gold standard ready for release compared to the WIP models before.
Can't really see updated audio in that clip can you?

I just meant the graphics were fine before, unless this is the final icing on the cake then maybe there's something else they could've spent the time on?

We're talking about the video I quoted right? And you thought the eyes were good. They seemed lifeless to me. The first scene where the character is dictating the letter just has him staring into the distance and his whole face barely seemed to move. Didn't seem much better when talking to the female character.

Can't really see updated audio in that clip can you?

I just meant the graphics were fine before, unless this is the final icing on the cake then maybe there's something else they could've spent the time on?

We're talking about the video I quoted right? And you thought the eyes were good. They seemed lifeless to me. The first scene where the character is dictating the letter just has him staring into the distance and his whole face barely seemed to move. Didn't seem much better when talking to the female character.
Yeah I can hear the difference in audio though in my headphones between the two.

And they were but yes it's all part of the upgrade to final release. The big ship the person Sat on was CIG greybox level detail till they finished the ship.

Yes same video quoted. Even in the first comment on that video someone commented how good the eyes are. They are genuinely some of the best I've seen in a game.

The whole head moves, the eyes track across the screen, the eyelids close, the whole way through the head slightly moves. It's from mocap data by way and CIG have the UKs largest local studio being used for these movements etc.

Have you tried turning it up to 4k and watching on a monitor ? I genuinely don't know what your re watching to say what you are haha.

Edit: in terms of time it will be 14-24 months of cleaning up further animations, lighting, movement, doing all the same pass of quality to the 20 game chapters/levels that make up the 30-40hr game time they have quoted. So lots to do to get to that level of detail.

Edit 2: you also looking at the 2024 video part for the face/eyes. Yes on 2023 they were slightly lifeless and looking into space, it's completely updated and clearly been worked on to show the micro expressions.

Last edited:

- new lighting
- new character shades
- update ship shades
- updated audio

Edit 2: reworked UI via the mobiglass etc. Updated the cloth sim for all the clothing to more detailed
As soon as I read that message you quoted I put that person on my ignore list

Upon a rewatch the eyes aren't as bad as they seemed the first time around, in the 2024 version at least. Faces still seem a little stiff though and movements are slight. Compared to the Equalizer video though it still missing something, all the little details and energy (admittedly different tones in the SC footage to the Equalizer clips).

But it's not as bad as I first thought. Still feels more deliberate and less natural though, to me (the eye movements).

That said, there has definitely been worse CGI faces in films.

I don't really care about character animation etc in SQ42, I'm there for the story and battles same as the Wing Commander games.

I want cheesy over the top nonsense, great music and challenging missions. Ideally with few game breaking bugs.

Back
Top Bottom