** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good signing, especially in the circumstances. Now we need a striker, left back, right back and a defender if the Greek goes.

Personally I'd try and prize Keisuke Honda from CSKA. He can play multiple roles and all he's done in his young career has constantly impress on every stage. I think we missed out big-time not signing him a few seasons ago when the rumors where amok. Could have had him relatively cheap. Also the shirt sales in japan would pay half of his price lol

I agree with that, we should have gone through with the Honda signing a while back, always liked him ever since I first saw him playing. Think its probably off the cards for now though.

Ashley Cole is a great player but like all modern attacking fullbacks he occasionally gets (less so now than in the past) tarred with the good old "great going forward, but can he defend?!?!?!?" brush. The answer being "yes, definitely", as he showed in Euro2004 when he kept Ronaldo in his pocket for 120minutes (well minus however many minutes Ronaldo got scared off after being made to look like a pub player in comparison and tried his luck on the other flank).

That's not to say Evra isn't a top LB either of course.

Most bizarre LB related story this year is that Liverpool have let all 3 of theirs leave in 2010 :confused:

Anyone who saw him play last season knows he's not what he used to be.
I think Liverpool fans think they've signed the player he was 2 seasons ago.

Whilst he isnt the player I saw a few seasons ago, I have also seen time and again a player changing club acting as a catalyst for a return of form, sometimes even resulting in them being better than before. I've also seen the same effect from a player who has had their manager change rather than their club.

At this point, and until I see Cole playing in red a few times, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. As I say, wouldnt be the first time I have seen a player gain renewed life from changing club.

Good buy for Liverpool, £16m over 4 years all in for an England international doesn't happen often and with Benayoun leaving they needed a bit of midfield creativity to take the pressure of Gerrard.

Whilst he isnt the player I saw a few seasons ago, I have also seen time and again a player changing club acting as a catalyst for a return of form, sometimes even resulting in them being better than before. I've also seen the same effect from a player who has had their manager change rather than their club.

At this point, and until I see Cole playing in red a few times, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. As I say, wouldnt be the first time I have seen a player gain renewed life from changing club.

Of course, however I don't think it's just form with him now, I think his injuries have taken their toll.
He's fit, as in not coming back from injury now, so that's no excuse. He played plenty of games last season (over 35) and did very little and Chelsea don't think he's good enough now and Capello prefers SWP ahead of him.
I really like him, but it doesn't concern me at all that he'll be playing for another PL side.

he would never go to Spurs/Arsenal due to Chelsea and he would never ever go to Man United due to the them being his arch rivals for years. It was either Man City or Liverpool

What utter rubbish, he never went to those other london clubs because they didn't offer him

A Enough money
B A guarenteed starting place + A

He didn't go to Manu because they didn't want him.

If Arsenal had offered 120k per week he would have been off, If manu had offered him 90k per week and a starting place alongside rooney he would have ran there barefoot.

It's probably a good move for both teams really. Chelsea released a player that was deemed surplus to requirements and gained a similar player on lower wages. Liverpool sold a player that wanted to leave the club and gained a similar player that wanted first team football.

Last edited:
The Cole one is a funny one thats for sure....

Ive seen an even funnier one just now.........(from tribal so not sure the original source)

Chelsea fear Torres wants to go to Man Utd!!!!!

Thats made me giggle for a few minutes now - never going to happen for several reasons but still funny!!!

You can see why people are assuming it's all about the money though. He left Chelsea because they wouldn't pay the wages he wanted, numerous big clubs were after him, yet he has plumped for Liverpool in the Europa League who could arguably be called unstable with their current owners (though it would take more than one bad season for this to be true) for a massive salary spanning 4 years. It doesn't make sense for an injury prone player who played just 28 games in the last 2 seasons.

I can just picture it now, first training session, everyone around Melwood all giddy, all wanting a peak at what a Premier League winner's medal looks like. :p

Good signing for both parties.

I can just picture it now, first training session, everyone around Melwood all giddy, all wanting a peak at what a Premier League winner's medal looks like. :p

Good signing for both parties.

Bah...sod the premier league winners medal, they will be more interested in seeing the World Cup winners medals :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom