** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
And no Arsenal signings yet...would have thought that we would have signed at least a GK and a CB by now....

We have Koscielny and Chamakh as new signings.

The good news is that we havent let any big name players leave this season except Gallas. The bad news is we have let most of the players go that all play in the same position. Which is CB. Campbell, Senderos, Silvestra and Gallas.

We have only replaced one of them and now need another two or three for their replacements.

The good news is that we havent let any big name players leave this season except Gallas. The bad news is we have let most of the players go that all play in the same position. Which is CB. Campbell, Senderos, Silvestra and Gallas.

We have only replaced one of them and now need another two or three for their replacements.

That's a good point, I'd say one of Arsenal's biggest problems over the last couple of years is letting too many important players leave every year without fully replacing them, never mind strengthening the team too. It's refreshing to see that nobody besides Gallas (who didn't play in about the last 20 games) is being let go, most importantly, Fabregas

Campbell may still stay.

Whoever signed Joe Cole was getting arguably the bargain of the summer, he'll be great for Liverpool if he can stay fit

Hodgson is already making signings that make sense unlike Rafa

90k a week = 4.7mil a year, 4 year contract, 18.72mil.

Benny, 60k a week is the reported figure, 5mil cost, 3 mil a year, 4 year contract, 17mil, for a player in better form and for me, probably better.

If it turns out Cole never gets back to pre-injury form, its a much better deal for Chelsea. Chelsea also have a very high wage payout weekly, much much higher than Liverpool. As rules are coming in, most likely, that will make CHelsea want to get as close to breaking even as possible in the next few years, thast another couple mil a year knocked off their outgoings, for a one time payment that won't have any effect in a few years if the rule comes in.

THats all ignoring the fact that Joe Cole probably got a significantly higher signing on bonus as is fairly standard for free to sign players. Joe Cole most likely will cost more than Benny. Considering Liverpool also have issues with debt, thats an extra 1.7mil a year they can't put towards paying off debt and bringing interest payments down.

As for Arsenal, we signed a single CB, Gallas and Sol haven't actually left yet, I'm guessing there is an offer on the table for Sol but it would also seem like he has bigger offers from a couple other clubs. If both leave we have Vermaelen, new french guy, and Djourou, who is quite awful, aswell as a couple very young and no where near ready for first team CB's. In each of the past 3 seasons we've had both main CB's injured and had to rely on Sol, Senderos, Silvestre and Djourou and we've lost huge games as those backup players have been no where near good enough, we're as it stands, significantly worse off than the last 3 seasons in defensive cover, and we've not been nearly good enough in those 3 seasons.

We need 2 CB's, one pretty decent, one maybe up and coming but good enough to play in the easier games already.

90k a week = 4.7mil a year, 4 year contract, 18.72mil.

What happens if he is sold in 2 years time? I'm afraid I am not privy to the way footballer contracts are financially handled so I'll ask here and someone who knows how these things work will reply.

If he is sold in 2 years time for say... £8 million. Then would that then mean that Liverpool have paid 9.4 million for him (2 x 4.7 mil a year) and then recouped £8 million back, meaning that the total cost to have him as a player has been £1.4 million?

What happens if he is sold in 2 years time? I'm afraid I am not privy to the way footballer contracts are financially handled so I'll ask here and someone who knows how these things work will reply.

If he is sold in 2 years time for say... £8 million. Then would that then mean that Liverpool have paid 9.4 million for him (2 x 4.7 mil a year) and then recouped £8 million back, meaning that the total cost to have him as a player has been £1.4 million?

Pretty much that. The cost to buy the player is usually the value of the outstanding years of the contract.

Pretty much that. The cost to buy the player is usually the value of the outstanding years of the contract.

So...seeing as we are all bandying around so many "If's" regarding the Cole and Benayoun deals..

IF that happens then it looks like a pretty decent deal, a million quid for Joe Cole for 2 years seems like a good deal to me.

That seems quite unlikely though. 30 year olds are rarely bought for 8m, especially when they weren't wanted for free a few years before.

Rarely, but not unheard of. And we are all dealing with Ifs here, just Ifs depending on which point of view we wish to back up :D

Overall it's just way too early to guess how good these transfers were, Joe Cole could re-discover old form in a new system where he's playing regularly and be worth every penny, or miss a season through injury and then be sold for £5m in a few years, same with Benayoun

Overall it's just way too early to guess how good these transfers were, Joe Cole could re-discover old form in a new system where he's playing regularly and be worth every penny, or miss a season through injury and then be sold for £5m in a few years, same with Benayoun

This.

(though it wont stop the naysayers on both sides)

As for Arsenal, we signed a single CB, Gallas and Sol haven't actually left yet, I'm guessing there is an offer on the table for Sol but it would also seem like he has bigger offers from a couple other clubs.

We need 2 CB's, one pretty decent, one maybe up and coming but good enough to play in the easier games already.

Wenger already confirmed earlier in the week that Gallas will be leaving. He said that Campbell will be making a decision after his wedding(which has hapened now). I think if he stays with us he will get a fair amount of games this season.

I think there is only about 43 days left for transfers but I would hope we get someone in for the preseason friendlies. All the WC players will probably still be on holiday so I think we still have time to get some in. I just hope we dont start with Song as a backup CB :(

Not a single club wants to sign Cole? :confused:

Or because Utd can't afford him, he's not wanted? :p

What I'm saying is clubs hardly seemed to be desperate to sign him, there were rumours of Arsenal and Spurs but I never saw anything from Arsenal themselves. It would have to be quite a change in his fortunes to go from that to 8m signing.

What I'm saying is clubs hardly seemed to be desperate to sign him, there were rumours of Arsenal and Spurs but I never saw anything from Arsenal themselves. It would have to be quite a change in his fortunes to go from that to 8m signing.

Well it is being widely reported that he had offers from Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham (for more than what we've offered him).

If for some reason it doesn't work out and in a year or so's time we decide to sell him, it wouldn't be that out of the question to get a reasonable fee.

After all, Benayoun's 30 and just been sold for ~£5m and most would agree he's a lesser player than Cole. Not to mention the fact that Cole's English which would increase the fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom