** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is being widely reported that he had offers from Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham (for more than what we've offered him).

If for some reason it doesn't work out and in a year or so's time we decide to sell him, it wouldn't be that out of the question to get a reasonable fee.

After all, Benayoun's 30 and just been sold for ~£5m and most would agree he's a lesser player than Cole. Not to mention the fact that Cole's English which would increase the fee.

I think Liverpool have got a good player. At 28 he is certainly worth a punt on especially as he should be getting more games at Liverpool.

I did think he was going to end up at Spurs though because of his relationship with Harry.

Well it is being widely reported that he had offers from Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham (for more than what we've offered him).

If for some reason it doesn't work out and in a year or so's time we decide to sell him, it wouldn't be that out of the question to get a reasonable fee.

After all, Benayoun's 30 and just been sold for ~£5m and most would agree he's a lesser player than Cole. Not to mention the fact that Cole's English which would increase the fee.

Factor in that this was when he was on a "free" and he still wanted £80k+/week

Even if he does VASTLY improve - why would any club want to suddenly pay that kind of wages (is he ever likely to want less?) AND pay a transfer fee ontop of that

Cant see it happening personally

edit - Good luck to him (and Liverpool)......he's / the club willl need it!!! :)

Its interesting how many people in here were saying how we should play Joe Cole in the england team because of what he has to offer etc etc, yet now when he isnt wearing a certain shirt anymore people are writing him off. The fickle nature of some fans I suppose who rate a player not by his attributes but by the colour of his shirt.

to be fair from my point of view at least, I was begging Fabio to try something different (and to get Gerrard off the wing), in the hope that JC could spark something - rather than actually believing in the player completely.

But then I also wanted JC to sign for Utd (but not for that kind of money)

Im sure a lot of Spurs fans would have been happy if he had signed for them - but again he was expecting too much £££

It's even funnier considering CA has already said we don't need another striker.

Funny rumour this morning ........Drog going to Wastelands in a £20m deal :)

Last edited:
Funny rumour this morning ........Drog going to Wastelands in a £20m deal :)

I know it's desperately laughable, it stems from one of DD's agent's assistants (not even his real agent) being interviewed on French radio:

Didier Drogba 's agent last night claimed to have had direct contact with Manchester City about the Chelsea striker.

Speaking on French radio, Thierno Seydi said: 'There may be surprises before August 31.

'I haven't spoken to just anybody. The only direct contact I have had was with Manchester City

'But getting Drogba out of Chelsea is not an easy task because he has all the conditions he needs to flourish there.
'At his age I can no longer hide the financial aspect. The club that want Didier will have to meet the price.'

City have rubbished any link, though Drogba would provide a foil for another target, Inter Milan's Mario Balotelli

There's no mention of a transfer, DD wanting to leave or City wanting him, it's just the usual paper rubbish to fill an article.

But then I also wanted JC to sign for Utd (but not for that kind of money)

Well , reading that kind of thing makes me happy. One of the big complaints that has been (quite correctly) levelled at Liverpool in recent years is that we tend to sign players which the other big teams wouldnt want in their team. So its good to hear someone say that a player we signed is wanted at one of the other big teams, means that we are starting to get the right kinds of player in terms of ability/quality.

Wenger already confirmed earlier in the week that Gallas will be leaving.

Have you got that in a link? I only read that he "expects" him to leave, not that he "will" be leaving.

Joe Cole said:
"I loved my time at Chelsea, I love the fans but it is a story for another day and I will tell it but now is not the time."

Oh aye, looks like he has some dirt to dish at a later date. No doubt he will say that the dressing room at chelsea is madness with plenty of in fighting :D

Well , reading that kind of thing makes me happy. One of the big complaints that has been (quite correctly) levelled at Liverpool in recent years is that we tend to sign players which the other big teams wouldnt want in their team. So its good to hear someone say that a player we signed is wanted at one of the other big teams, means that we are starting to get the right kinds of player in terms of ability/quality.

Rivals fans probably wanted him as he was free (that was my personal view anyway) had he just been put up for sale by Chelsea with a 10m transfer fee then there would be a lot less interest by anyone IMO

Spurs probably would have been guaranteed to get him as well had that been the case

Rivals fans probably wanted him as he was free (that was my personal view anyway) had he just been put up for sale by Chelsea with a 10m transfer fee then there would be a lot less interest by anyone IMO

Spurs probably would have been guaranteed to get him as well had that been the case

Thats as may be, but you will note that I was very careful to say in terms of ability/quality and not in terms of cost. :)

Irrespective of cost, the comment levelled at us has been that we havent been getting players of the ability/quality that other big teams would actually want (rightly so too) , that was my point.

If the newspapers are to be believed today, Sir Fergie doesnt want anyone at all as he says the squad are strong enough as is. I fear most people would disagree with him though :)

Personally I think Joe Cole on a free would have been enough for us this season, I still think we're 1 player away from being totally complete and that's in the midfield wide left area

As things stand we're relying a lot on Nani especially to carry on his late season form from last season.... Big ask given his previous. We're also relying on Valencia to reproduce what he did last season and given he came from a club like Wigan again it's a big ask and lastly we're needing Rooney to continue his goal scoring form of which last season was his first 30+ goal return again a big ask

The only thing I will say is I'd much prefer the likes of Hernandez and Macheda to be given a chance if needed rather than blow 30m+ on someone like Balotelli.

Honestly I don't think anyone was in for Cole except for Spurs, and Redknapp was running his mouth, trying to make it seem like Cole was the worlds single biggest target and it would be a truly massive coupe if Redknapp the wheeler dealer managed to get him over everyone else.

The only Arsenal official word was someone asked if he thought Cole was good, and Wenger said yes he was, but thats pretty much his standard reply, most managers don't just say "he's not close to worth 90k a week, don't know what the guy is smoking".

Same for Utd, saw entirely nothing outside of Redknapp talking up how wanted Cole was. Spurs were in for him, Liverpool gave a bigger offer and in reality after a single season both teams will likely be in the Europa league long term. Redknapp was also going on about this interest from other clubs pre world cup, again it seems like Cole was just hoping he'd get a great deal after he shone at the world cup.

I'm also not saying the Joe Cole deal is a bad deal, I'm just saying, if both players play for 4 years, he costs more than Benny, if they both get sold after 2 years, who knows, Redknapp might go to Real and spend 30mil on Cole (because he'll sort himself out a nice cut of the deal :p ) or Cole might go to Cardiff for 50k. Excluding the signing on bonus Cole is marginally more expensive, but 2million, honestly, is nothing these days.

Its just the guys going on about what a truly fantastic deal Cole was, are deluded and thats all I'm saying.

You'll notice I've said the same thing about Chamakh, a free transfer he may have been, but that will mean huge signing bonus and 20-30k a week higher wages than he would normally have got, which means over 4-5 years he would cost probably the same as anyone else.

personally I think free transfers on younger players cost you long term Lets say Benny and Cole were 5 years younger, when it comes to a 10-20% pay rise for their next contract, Benny goes up to 72k a week, Cole would go up to 108k a week, so their next 4 year contracts would be 22.5mil for Cole, and 15mil for Benny.

When you do these daft free transfer, you start off at a massively inflated wage, which will only continue to be a problem. I reckon thats a reason Sol Campbell left, he was probably expecting a decent wage rise on a new contract and Arsenal told him where to stick it(well one of the reasons).

Personally I think Joe Cole on a free would have been enough for us this season, I still think we're 1 player away from being totally complete and that's in the midfield wide left area.

Someone creative in the middle is more my chosing (with Nani and Obertan to hopefully feed off each other and improve both players - should hopefully be enough), but I wouldnt complain about a new left sided midfielder lol

We're also relying on Valencia to reproduce what he did last season and given he came from a club like Wigan again it's a big ask

Personally dont think this is much of a big ask - seeing as it took Valencia 2 months or so to settle into the team last season, the only thing that is a concern is 2nd Season Syndrome

and lastly we're needing Rooney to continue his goal scoring form of which last season was his first 30+ goal return again a big ask.

I dont think it is that big an ask - only because last season was the first season he was being played up top in his favoured position throughout the season (and there was a huge autumn/winter spell where he didnt score at all for 10 games or so) - so reasonable "time" for improvement

He also didnt seem to be playing like someone with pressure on his shoulders - another good sign imo :)

The only thing I will say is I'd much prefer the likes of Hernandez and Macheda to be given a chance if needed rather than blow 30m+ on someone like Balotelli.

Very true - especially Kiko who had a miserable season with injury last year. Really hope Cleverly has a good few early matches too

If the newspapers are to be believed today, Sir Fergie doesnt want anyone at all as he says the squad are strong enough as is. I fear most people would disagree with him though :)

Unfortunately no one else counts lol, and dont forget we have one of your (very) old boys in our squad - soI cant really say much lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom