** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wikipedia is showing that Liverpool have agreed to sign Figueroa for £6 million. But...that is Wikipedia so its about as useful as a keyboard with no vowels. Having said that though, I'd be happy with Figueroa.

Personally I would actually want, and I know I will take some stick for this, Gareth Bale. But thats way way off the spectrum.

I think Almunia will still be #1. Don't think Szcesny is ready and I hope to god Fabianski doesn't play for this club again, absolutely shocking goalkeeper who can't even catch corners.

I still rate Almunia. Yes he has done some major clangers at the worse time possible but I have more confidence in him than our depleated CBs.

I think I would prefer the inexperience of youth than silvestre :p

I would like to see Nordtveit but I would have thought he would have been used in the pre-season friendlies if he thought he was ready. Did he use him against Barnet or going to use him tonight?

Yeah Nordtveit started against Barnet (at RB though) and looked solid enough. I imagine he will figure against Sturm Graz tonight again, which should be a more revealing test. He's supposed to be able to play anywhere in the back 4, and DM.

and yeah, Bale would be a bit of a far-stretch Tombstone! He had a stonking end to last season, but why would he move now spurs finally reached the CL!

The betting so far for next season is interesting, not that it's any kind of indication as to how things will finish but it goes:
Chelsea (fav)
Man Utd
Man City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spurs

Will be interesting to see whether City can push their way into the top 3. They should do with all that cash they're flashing...

He surely isn't ready to be thrown into massive games after a couple of games at Brentford :/?

Full International too. He's a better keeper than Mannone by a mile, who played last season.

I would like to see Nordtveit but I would have thought he would have been used in the pre-season friendlies if he thought he was ready. Did he use him against Barnet or going to use him tonight?

Played at Barnet at RB.

A question to the Arsenal fans out there. If arsenal fail to sign a GK or CB what will be the reason? Lack of money or wenger still having a blind faith in the youth system?

Would selling Fab for £35-40 million bring in funds to bolster the squad and fill the gaps. I know hes the top player in arsenal but is he that vital to the team. Its not like liverpool that if they sell steve g/ torres they are left without any talent/ match winners.

and yeah, Bale would be a bit of a far-stretch Tombstone! He had a stonking end to last season, but why would he move now spurs finally reached the CL!

And he has just signed a new 4 year contract with Spurs, so absolutely no reason at all. Doesnt stop me wanting him in the team though :D

A question to the Arsenal fans out there. If arsenal fail to sign a GK or CB what will be the reason? Lack of money or wenger still having a blind faith in the youth system?

not to be contrary, but I honestly think the answer to that question is neither of those things.
There is money to spend now, especially since we finished the Highbury redevelopment and sold it off. Indeed, that much has been repeatedly made clear by the board, resulting in the amusing situation at last year's AGM when the board had to go public with how much cash we had, because of the questions being asked as to why Wenger wasn't spending anything.

And on the other hand I honestly don't think Wenger is deluded about how talented the young players are. OK it's clearly been our policy to invest in youth because of the constraints that building a new stadium put on us financially in previous years, but he is a talented manager, not an idiot, and I think his predisposition to youth was out of necessity and not blind faith.

I think the truth is he is just really really conservative, and loath to spend money on new signings.

I think he'll buy a LB. Don't think he'll buy a RB as Carra, Kelly, Darby and maybe Ayala can fill in, if needed.

Ideally we'll sign 2 LB's and another RB, I doubt funds will stretch that far though.

As for the RB cover, Kelly's the only realistic option; Ayala is very much a CB (and likely to go out on loan), Darby's rubbish and the older he gets the harder it is for Carra to play RB.

edit: and it doesn't look like Riera's transfer is as close as first thought, he's been named on the bench for our friendly at 5.30pm.

Would selling Fab for £35-40 million bring in funds to bolster the squad and fill the gaps. I know hes the top player in arsenal but is he that vital to the team. Its not like liverpool that if they sell steve g/ torres they are left without any talent/ match winners.

Failure to sign a GK/CB would simply be Wenger not being able to find the right player for the sort of money he wants to pay. My impression of the way Arsenal do their transfers deals is very much laissez-faire approach, whereby if a deal happens, great, if not, wait until the next window. So for example just because Wenger wants a player and has a huge transfer warchest doesn't mean we will buy him if he is deemed to be overpriced. Chamakh would be a good example, he was happy to wait for his contract to expire.

As for selling Fabregas, £35m would be bad move because he is worth more than that and it would irreparably damage the team. The new season starts soon meaning little time to indoctrinate a replacement who would obviously be of inferior quality anyway. He makes such a difference to our play, everything goes through him, our play is infinitely more inciseful with him at the helm.

Obviously if he is desperate to leave there is a risk of him underperforming but he's a firebrand, I think his pride would be too much to coast through a season.

Of course, after letting Vieira and Henry go on the cheap the worry is that should we decide to sell, we won't get full whack for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom