** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Özil actually had a good 2009/10 season in the Bundesliga so it would be incorrect to judge him on national appearances. In fact it would be incorrect to judge any player based on International appearances alone.

Veteran defender Sol Campbell has ended speculation over his future by deciding to stay with Arsenal for another year, despite major interest from Celtic.
Full story: The Sun

Thats good news. He did a good job for us last season and I am happy to have him as a backup. Still think we need a few more CBs.

I am wondering if Wenger is going to buy another striker as well? With Cham joining and Ed going we are back to the same amount of strikers and seeing as last year we actually ran out of proper strikers, it would be nice to have another or maybe he is going to push someone through from reserves.

How good / injury-prone is Chamakh supposed to be? Is he good enough to fill in adequately when RVP inevitably trips over some grass? ;)

Thing is though Wenger seems to usually only play with one out-and-out striker these days (4-5-1 cum 4-3-3). So you'd say Van Persie leads the line with Chamakh and Bendtner as backup. Then for the domestic cups there is Vela, Simpson, Sunu et al. With Arshavin and Walcott available to play as emergency strikers if necessary.

Centreback is arguably a bigger concern as we've only got Campbell and Djourou as backup with Song/Eastmond for emergencies. Not having seen Koschielny play yet I have no idea if he will even be good enough (wouldn't be the first overseas prospect not to click in the Premiership) and at his age you can't be sure of Campbell getting through a whole season unscathed.

Veteran defender Sol Campbell has ended speculation over his future by deciding to stay with Arsenal for another year, despite major interest from Celtic.
Full story: The Sun

Thats good news. He did a good job for us last season and I am happy to have him as a backup. Still think we need a few more CBs.

I am wondering if Wenger is going to buy another striker as well? With Cham joining and Ed going we are back to the same amount of strikers and seeing as last year we actually ran out of proper strikers, it would be nice to have another or maybe he is going to push someone through from reserves.
That's very good news with regards to Campbell. As for our strikers, I think we are fully equipped. I'm guessing we will still only play one up front, so that would mean Chamakh and Bendtner to come off the bench or to start as target men. Hopefully Bendtner's groin reoccurance is sorted in the next month or two whilst the campaign is still fresh. I think Simpson is on his way out but if not, it would be nice to see how he performs in the League. We could even try Sunu if things get really bad. He's a big promising lad.

Sol staying is good news for Arsenal, he did a decent job last season when called upon.

Rumours I've heard are that it's either Fabianski or Schwarzer (if he signs) for the #1 jersey as Almunia is being frozen out. If Fabianksi starts the season as Arsenal's number 1, they are in for a hell of a lot of trouble imo.

Have also read Wenger is after another defender.

I think I'll wait til the BBC are reporting Sol's staying til I believe it bloodline! :p

Good news though, He's solid cover and good experience to have in the side, just hope this doesn't mean we won't sign another centre-back/Defensive-midfielder, because we are still way short of depth there.

Chamakh's played 40+ games in each of his last 4 seasons, so hopefully he'll be fairly resilient. The Premier League does have a bit more physicality to it though, so who knows, but he's a big lad. As for quality, I'm gonna wait and see. He has scored some fantastic goals, and he's good in the air, but he's not the most prolific goalscorer by reputation. Given the way our media hates similar players like Ibrahimovic, Chamakh may get some stick, but I've always rated Ibra, even if he misses some easy chances. Hopefully he can do a job all season for us, especially at the point when RVP will inevitably break something again....

Hmmm, if Sol really is signing a contract then that could mean that Wenger doesn't make any more defensive signings. That would leave us short if anyone gets injured, Song can cover but I'm not really comfortable with the idea of Song playing in defense, he's so clumsy that even Gunnersaurus would do a better job.

I really hope that what I've been hearing about the goalkeeper situation isn't true, Almunia being shut out and Fabianski possibly starting the season as #1. You have to be kidding, anyone can see that Fabianski just isn't ready and going on his previous performances he never will be, I haven't even seen Sczesny play so I can't comment on him either, and is it *really* worth going after Schwarzer?

Links that Fulham are set to sign Sidwell and Luke Young once a manager has been announced. Although if it's Sven, I doubt we'd sign them.

I honestly hope we get rid of both, but I always thought Almunia > Fabianski....?

BUY FREY ARSENE.
I'm gonna try and communication that message to Arsene telepathically over the next day or so, if anyone wants to join in, please feel free. :)

Think Wenger is buying another CB, or at least I hope so. If he goes into this season with what he has + Campbell Arsenal won't win the league. Easy.

If we went into the season with the best defenders in the world but Fabianski behind them we'd not win the league either. Terrible, terrible goalkeeper, the least a keeper can do is catch and Fabianski has demonstrated time and again that he hasn't even got the basic skills to be a goalkeeper. Henry is better at handling a ball we should've signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom