** Official Tekken 7 Thread **

Soldato
OP
Online still sucks for me, the matchmaking is slow and I get connection errors often.

Also, it's great fun and all but I feel like I'll never learn to play it after such a long break when I was never good to begin with. It's very frustrating that I can't often win using Jin against absolute beginners who pick Eddy, Catarina, Lucky Chloe or other characters with ridiculous movements and just spam away when I managed to win against some people who apparently knew what they were doing.

I absolutely suck and I don't think I have the time to get better.

Soldato
Online still sucks for me, the matchmaking is slow and I get connection errors often.

Also, it's great fun and all but I feel like I'll never learn to play it after such a long break when I was never good to begin with. It's very frustrating that I can't often win using Jin against absolute beginners who pick Eddy, Catarina, Lucky Chloe or other characters with ridiculous movements and just spam away when I managed to win against some people who apparently knew what they were doing.

I absolutely suck and I don't think I have the time to get better.

Until they patch it next week stick to lobbies with friends or single elim tournaments, they both been working perfect for me today.

When your against them characters you need to block low or not press a button until they finished there combo then attack.

Soldato
Tekken is probably the worst fighter to play on a stick, but to each their own. The way the movement is gave me cramp in my hands when I tried it on a friends stick after about an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ijUCAuo8o

This sums it up, it feels nice at first but when you begin to learn the more advanced movement techniques you're going to get serious bankers claw lol.

I find tekken and mortal kombat really are easy on stick them sort of motions double tapping directions just comes naturaly and I can do them all day everytime comfortably.
Where as street fighter even after years and years of using my stick I still struggle with double fireball motions consistently.

Also with tekken using 4 buttons I find that so comfortable on my stick just having to cover the 4 instead of something like Street fighter where I have to spread my hand out flat across 6 buttons.

Tekken and mk feel really comfortable for me on stick both the motions and the buttons.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Until they patch it next week stick to lobbies with friends or single elim tournaments, they both been working perfect for me today.

When your against them characters you need to block low or not press a button until they finished there combo then attack.

Yeah I know, that's what I do and it sometimes works but some of the characters have very fast, confusing and easy to pull off mix-ups and I just can't read all of them well not having played the series for 10 years. What's more, many of them put me at a disadvantage and I can't always react in time. Jin is very fine character with lots of great attacks but he's also one of the tamer ones in terms of movement. Maybe he's not suited for an amateur like me when faced against such guys. I'm currently trying to learn something sensible with Leo. Maybe I'll try Chloe myself for some of that uber-cheapness:p And maybe Dragunov, liked him very much in 5.

Of course, the outcome is quite obvious when someone picks Hwoarang or Claudio and just spams their kicks incessantly. I won six or seven times in a row against a guy like that two days ago but Eddy and Lucky Chloe are just too much for me (I suspect Alisa is the same). Still can't get used to the game but it's much better on a DS4 (I started using my PS4 controller yesterday, the d-pad works is a blessing) than on my old 360 controller.

Soldato
Yes also I found lucky cloe hard at first my friend always uses her I think I got hit by her rage every time for first 15 matches before I started blocking it.
I use xbox 360 controller for most games but I can't do fight games on them because the dpad is so sloppy.

Soldato
OP
Yes also I found lucky cloe hard at first my friend always uses her I think I got hit by her rage every time for first 15 matches before I started blocking it.
I use xbox 360 controller for most games but I can't do fight games on them because the dpad is so sloppy.

Yeah, such characters take some time to get used to but now that I switched to DS4 the game feels a lot better. Overall, it's great fun even when you sometimes lose against mashers:p Definitely feels like good ol' Tekken. Also, runs great and the graphics have aged quite well I think. When they fix the online, it will be golden.

Soldato
What setting are you running?

I turned down ultra post processing to high because it was messing up the image.
(I got this tip from game review)

I also went in to diplay settings and turned motion blur on high because it looks more tekken.
(Default is off if you haven't been in diplay setting)

Think the game looks a lot better like this than the standard ultra setting.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What setting are you running?

I turned down ultra post processing to high because it was messing up the image.
(I got this tip from game review)

I also went in to diplay settings and turned motion blur on high because it looks more tekken.
(Default is off if you haven't been in diplay setting)

Think the game looks a lot better like this than the standard ultra setting.
Will give this a go now thanks.

I had motion blur off like i do in most games as it looks poop, but will turn it on and see what you guys talking about :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Okay, so motion blur still equals no thank you. Must be a marmite thing?

Also you actually need to drop post processing to medium to fix the image and get rid of the blurry stuff, not to high. Alternatively you can leave it on ultra and do the following. Go to C:\Users\Whaveter you user name is here\AppData\Local\TekkenGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Find and open Scalability. Copy paste this in it:

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=4096

You need to leave post processing on Ultra for the above to work. Should get slightly better shadows also. Let me know how it goes.

Soldato
Anybody know WTF to do against Katarina? She seems very safe on everything she does, to the point where she doesn't even have to block, and can continue the pressure. Can't beat her to the punch on anything and all of her moves seem to have perfect tracking so sidestepping gets me blown up. It's just non stop pressure and pressure and pressure. It's not unfamiliarity or gimmicks or anything like that as I have no issues exposing Eddy/Chloe players very quickly in lobbies but the Katarina's are a nightmare and a half. Literally every punish King has in his arsenal just seems to get stuffed by her next barrage of kicks. Spent a few rounds blocking and losing to time outs from the damage I take trying to punish even with jabs... Literally every attack is a mid too so it stuffs the d 3+4 launcher and any crouch attacks.

There have been a couple of moves she does that have long recovery, but push me so far back on block that by the time I'm close enough to really do anything she's already in the start up frames of her next spam attack. Ugh!

I find tekken and mortal kombat really are easy on stick them sort of motions double tapping directions just comes naturaly and I can do them all day everytime comfortably.
Where as street fighter even after years and years of using my stick I still struggle with double fireball motions consistently.

Also with tekken using 4 buttons I find that so comfortable on my stick just having to cover the 4 instead of something like Street fighter where I have to spread my hand out flat across 6 buttons.

Tekken and mk feel really comfortable for me on stick both the motions and the buttons.

That's fair enough, people control things differently and some people struggle with things others find very simple. I couldn't even do a WGF on stick LOL

Associate
Stick. My mate here keeps giving me the look so I'm not getting much of a go ...

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc26/SpaceHedgehog/Tekken Character_zpsclh9wb5o.jpg

I'm gonna kick his ass later.

:eek: nice cab! I am definitely jelly.

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=4096

Thanks for this - I definitely prefer it with the chromatic aberration off, the depth it adds is nice but it's impact on the overall image is too strong.

I think I prefer the default tone mapper quality setting though so I removed that override for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I beat a Katarina player with Jin yesterday (as well as some Steve and Lars spammers) using parries, ducking and low kicks but it was just a masher with a couple of wins. I wouldn't be able to do anything against a player who knows how to use her. She was hard enough even played by a masher.

I'm sticking with Jin for now, he's not as fast and cheap as some characters but I like his fighting style, hope to learn how to use him well.

Soldato
I beat a Katarina player with Jin yesterday (as well as some Steve and Lars spammers) using parries, ducking and low kicks but it was just a masher with a couple of wins. I wouldn't be able to do anything against a player who knows how to use her. She was hard enough even played by a masher.

I'm sticking with Jin for now, he's not as fast and cheap as some characters but I like his fighting style, hope to learn how to use him well.

Lars and Steve take quite a lot of skill to use properly, their 'cheap' stuff is unsafe so the spammers get destroyed. Katarina is hell though, at least you get something to look at while she's herpa derpin all over your guard. She's the most unga bunga character I've ever seen, even worse than M. Bison in SF5 LOL

Jin is a great character to pick up, he's like the Ryu of Tekken. He may not be very hard to use but he has no gimmicks or obnoxious stuff, when a Jin wins a game, it was the player who won and not the character. Unlike a certain... she-who-shall-not-be-named.

Soldato
OP
Lars and Steve take quite a lot of skill to use properly, their 'cheap' stuff is unsafe so the spammers get destroyed. Katarina is hell though, at least you get something to look at while she's herpa derpin all over your guard. She's the most unga bunga character I've ever seen, even worse than M. Bison in SF5 LOL

Jin is a great character to pick up, he's like the Ryu of Tekken. He may not be very hard to use but he has no gimmicks or obnoxious stuff, when a Jin wins a game, it was the player who won and not the character. Unlike a certain... she-who-shall-not-be-named.

Yeah, that's precisely the feeling I'm getting with Jin, like I'm doing the actual fighting and he's easy to pick up but quite hard to use well.

Since you're way more experienced than me, could you suggest 1-2 other interesting non-gimmicky intermediate characters I could try? I was thinking Leo and maybe Dragunov or someone else?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have been mainly using Marshal Law, Paul Phoenix, Hwoarang and Akuma when playing tournament. But otherwise have actually played a bit of every character.

Still not tried to learn any single one yet. I agree about Jin, I did not find him easy. No cheap moves, you actually need to learn him :p

Finished all the single player content now, will move on to the treasure mode next :D

Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom