** Official Tekken 7 Thread **

Soldato
Yeah, that's precisely the feeling I'm getting with Jin, like I'm doing the actual fighting and he's easy to pick up but quite hard to use well.

Since you're way more experienced than me, could you suggest 1-2 other interesting non-gimmicky intermediate characters I could try? I was thinking Leo and maybe Dragunov or someone else?

King, King has a lot of tech with damage to make it worth while. His fast moves don't really do much for him though except B+1 which crumples people on a counter hit and let's you pull off a full juggle. If you do try King, U/F+4 is his launcher and D+1+2 is good as it goes under high attacks and does a crap ton of damage. When you've crumpled/launched them you want D/F 4, 3 into D/F 2, 1 and hit them with the 'shining wizard' F,F,F+3+4 when they bound (legs in the air). Damage is sweet and puts you right infront of them on their wakeup so you can U/F+B if you predict a low wakeup attack or D+1+2 if you think they're going for a high attack.

Something really dirty you can do on King is simply hit their block 2 or 3 times with 1 then go for a grapple, more than likely it will get them and once somebody has been hit with a few of those, start throwing the U/F+4 knee after the jabs as it is unblockable if you try to crouch a throw attempt. ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Do you guys not try out and play each character at least a few times? I am still in the phase where I am going around saying I fancy playing this character this go, then next turn someone else, even though I have played everyone at least once at this point :D

Soldato
OP
I do, but I more or less know how each character plays from past games (except newcomers, obviously) and who I'm interested in. I'm too crap to focus on more than 1-2:p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It has been so long I only remembered how a few characters play, still enjoyed playing them with the better graphics though, so feels nice and fresh for me :)

I have no problem sucking with a hero, fun to explore for a few fights what their moves are by mashing buttons that usually equal a special move or something. I have yet to look at moves list of a character :p

I tried Asuka last, some of her moves made it much easier to beat people I may usually struggle to beat. It is even easier to beat people who do not do lower block much. lol

Associate
I am just trying to beat Story mode on difficult setting and got to the last stage of Jin in full devil form and my god.... he is kicking my ass so badly, been so close to throwing the controller lol

Soldato
OP
My game's just got updated, is it the online fix? Can't find any patch notes.

EDIT: I don't know what's wrong with this game but the online matchmaking is terrible (unranked)... It's so bloody slow and I can hardly play any matches due to connection issues. Have only played 1 so far in 20 mins of waiting room and it was so laggy that the game was literally freezing for a couple of seconds.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you guys not try out and play each character at least a few times? I am still in the phase where I am going around saying I fancy playing this character this go, then next turn someone else, even though I have played everyone at least once at this point :D

I only wanted tekken to play jack he is my favorite I did try a couple of other but jack is the only one I play.

Soldato
My game's just got updated, is it the online fix? Can't find any patch notes.

EDIT: I don't know what's wrong with this game but the online matchmaking is terrible (unranked)... It's so bloody slow and I can hardly play any matches due to connection issues. Have only played 1 so far in 20 mins of waiting room and it was so laggy that the game was literally freezing for a couple of seconds.

I haven't tried unranked but I been playing ranked for hours on end last few days and it's been great. Also matches vs my friends in lobbies have been perfect for me also.

Soldato
Okay, so motion blur still equals no thank you. Must be a marmite thing?

Also you actually need to drop post processing to medium to fix the image and get rid of the blurry stuff, not to high. Alternatively you can leave it on ultra and do the following. Go to C:\Users\Whaveter you user name is here\AppData\Local\TekkenGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Find and open Scalability. Copy paste this in it:

You need to leave post processing on Ultra for the above to work. Should get slightly better shadows also. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks I tried this but didn't like it so I went looking for another fix and found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/6ere77/heres_how_to_disable_ca_and_film_grain_filter_on/

Game looks much better without the filter not sure about the other line havent bothered to test on and off.
this is the code off the page I been using:
[PostProcessQuality@2]

r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0

[PostProcessQuality@3]

r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0

Soldato
OP
I think I'm getting worn out on playing as Jin...
I love his simple style but you really have to be an expert to win with him against some characters. I managed to learn him to some degree and got some decent wins against spammers but I've just lost four times in a row against a Leo who wasn't even that good. Obviously, I still suck at the game and deserved to lose but why are the characters so unbalanced? Her every combo pushed me back and I couldn't reach her with my attacks while she could still attack me with her ridiculously fast punches and kicks. So I was left there blocking and parrying and I couldn't even hit her before she started her next combo. I was either out of range or too slow.

I was forced to wait for an opening which rarely came. Jin's every combo was sluggish and very predictable in comparison while she had all those flashy "jump back and suddenly attack" thrusts and launches... At least I managed to get in a couple of EWGFs.

I won two matches 3-0 out of bloody six. It's really tiresome that I have to get constantly punished for picking a more tame character whom I happen to like. I honestly don't know what I could've done except some very risky and expertly-timed counters I'm not yet capable of. The amount of sweat you have to put as Jin when you fight against those flashy cheapshots is crazy. He might be labelled as an intermediate character but you'll have your butt kicked by many characters unless you know him inside out. It's impossible to spam with him and his better moves are quite hard to pull off consistently in the heat of battle.

I've also encountered a dude who was playing Kazumi and after he realised he can't do anything against me, he just moved back and started spamming those tigers incessantly so I couldn't even approach him. Same happened with Alisa. Ridiculous... Why is this stuff even in the game?

Soldato
I love his simple style but you really have to be an expert to win with him against some characters. I managed to learn him to some degree and got some decent wins against spammers but I've just lost four times in a row against a Leo who wasn't even that good. Obviously, I still suck at the game and deserved to lose but why are the characters so unbalanced? Her every combo pushed me back and I couldn't reach her with my attacks while she could still attack me with her ridiculously fast punches and kicks. So I was left there blocking and parrying and I couldn't even hit her before she started her next combo. I was either out of range or too slow.

I was forced to wait for an opening which rarely came. Jin's every combo was sluggish and very predictable in comparison while she had all those flashy "jump back and suddenly attack" thrusts and launches... At least I managed to get in a couple of EWGFs.

I won two matches 3-0 out of bloody six. It's really tiresome that I have to get constantly punished for picking a more tame character whom I happen to like. I honestly don't know what I could've done except some very risky and expertly-timed counters I'm not yet capable of. The amount of sweat you have to put as Jin when you fight against those flashy cheapshots is crazy. He might be labelled as an intermediate character but you'll have your butt kicked by many characters unless you know him inside out. It's impossible to spam with him and his better moves are quite hard to pull off consistently in the heat of battle.

I've also encountered a dude who was playing Kazumi and after he realised he can't do anything against me, he just moved back and started spamming those tigers incessantly so I couldn't even approach him. Same happened with Alisa. Ridiculous... Why is this stuff even in the game?

Jin is an extremely skillful character, perhaps the hardest in the game, he's also honest which is a huge disadvantage when you're new. If you have two people who have never played Tekken before, and of equal initial skill, put one on Jin and one on something like Eddy/Katarina/Chloe etc. the Jin will never beat them. He's a character made for people who seek out the satisfaction of winning through high skill gameplay, his basic level tech is very weak, it's the advanced stuff that makes him strong.

You need to accept this to play the character, you are going to lose a lot but have the potential to become one of the better players once you have more experience. I ran into an Oracle ranked Feng the other day in a lobby, the first rounds were tough but he was such a fraudulent player using Fang's unga bunga cheap mixups, and after losing 2 rounds I exposed him and made him look free, ending the 5th round with a perfect, he then left after sitting on a 16 win streak or something in that lobby full of beginners.

Jin is the COMPLETE opposite of that, he isn't made for the dudebros who want to win at all costs regardless of player skill because they think they deserve to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJb2h3Jjuqc

Watch that video, his strengths come from learning the excruciating amount of parry timings in a series with such diverse movesets, and using attacks that sidestep or avoid high/low during certain strings. Ontop of all of that, his combo input difficulty is up there with Lars.

In the hands of the perfect player he is the best character in the game as he is theoretically invincible, but even the very best players are far from perfect.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love his simple style but you really have to be an expert to win with him against some characters. I managed to learn him to some degree and got some decent wins against spammers but I've just lost four times in a row against a Leo who wasn't even that good. Obviously, I still suck at the game and deserved to lose but why are the characters so unbalanced?
You have to remember that the game isn't balanced for casual players like us, it's a competitive game so that's who they balance it for. I don't know much about tekken but by the sound of it you picked a real technical character maybe you should try and find someone else you enjoy playing with who is easier to use.

Lol I love them tigers I think kazumi is great fun character and I only play jack-7 right now but if I do learn a second character it will probably be her or panda.
By the you can side step them tigers and they go straight past and also when you get near enough use a move with long reach because the instant you get a touch on her the tiger becomes inactive.

Soldato
OP
Jin is an extremely skillful character, perhaps the hardest in the game, he's also honest which is a huge disadvantage when you're new. If you have two people who have never played Tekken before, and of equal initial skill, put one on Jin and one on something like Eddy/Katarina/Chloe etc. the Jin will never beat them. He's a character made for people who seek out the satisfaction of winning through high skill gameplay, his basic level tech is very weak, it's the advanced stuff that makes him strong.

You need to accept this to play the character, you are going to lose a lot but have the potential to become one of the better players once you have more experience. I ran into an Oracle ranked Feng the other day in a lobby, the first rounds were tough but he was such a fraudulent player using Fang's unga bunga cheap mixups, and after losing 2 rounds I exposed him and made him look free, ending the 5th round with a perfect, he then left after sitting on a 16 win streak or something in that lobby full of beginners.

Jin is the COMPLETE opposite of that, he isn't made for the dudebros who want to win at all costs regardless of player skill because they think they deserve to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJb2h3Jjuqc

Watch that video, his strengths come from learning the excruciating amount of parry timings in a series with such diverse movesets, and using attacks that sidestep or avoid high/low during certain strings. Ontop of all of that, his combo input difficulty is up there with Lars.

In the hands of the perfect player he is the best character in the game as he is theoretically invincible, but even the very best players are far from perfect.

Thanks for all that. I will try to find a second character for myself but I won't stop using Jin, I just like playing as him. I know I've picked a really technical character as I tried him in T5 but it didn't click then. I've managed to win at least once against all the spammers I had trouble with because I more or less know how his attacks work. Some, I completely dominated as they couldn't even block Jin's easy to predict feints and lows and just continued spamming Eddie's and Chloe's shenanigans. The thing is, I'm nowhere near the level to predict and counter fast and fancy combos with characters flying all over the place. Jin's sidestep attacks are very useful but some of this stuff is homing.

Jin's combo input difficulty might be up there with Lars but Lars is sure easier to pick up and abuse:p

I might start using Asuka again as I'm pretty familiar with her. Or someone else but I don't wan't to become a cheapsot, there's nothing enjoyable in that. The best matches I've had were against people who knew what they were doing and while not experts, they put up a decent fight. Will have to work on my parries and overall defense. And surprise EWGFs:p

Regarding the tigers, I didn't reach her in time before the end of the round as I was busy sidestepping a flurry of them. I just didn't expect it, that was my first online fight against Kazumi.

EDIT: I have to set aside some time to properly test Lars and Leo. I've always liked Bryan and Dragunov so maybe them too. I know Bryan is advanced but he's got some great moves. I also love Xiayou but I don't think I can get good with her. Playing her in T5 was incredibly fun though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
heh, you're not the only one :o

I'm sticking with Jin for now because even with the losses I'm still learning match-ups and stuff. As long as I'm improving I'll stick with it, it can be rough sometimes but even when losing I'm still having fun.

Yeah, I know the pain:p I like Jin and will be sticking with him. I won against all the Chloes, Eddie, Claudios etc. played by spamming and baiting noobs today and it felt quite rewarding. I won and lost against Brian once. Deservedly though, he fought a bit cheaply but it was mostly my lack of skill.

I've also lost against only one Jin so far but I'm mostly playing unranked now. The first ranked match was a joke but I'll get destroyed if I advance too far.

Be sure to learn how to consistently pull of the EWHF an the launching variant (also the sweep) as it's fairly surprising to noobs if you time one properly, it takes a lot of sweat to use it in battle though. The punch-low kick-low kick combo and the feints work well against noobs so wait it out and abuse them like hell when you're up against cheapos:p And the sidestep punch:p

I think I'll also pick up Kazuya after checking him out today. I know he's a fairly advanced character but many of his moves are relatively easy to pull off and he's got some nice potential punishes. He's also bull****-free, like Jin, but seems a bit more forgiving. It'll also be tough but I just can't warm up to any of the more gimmicky characters at the moment.

Associate
Be sure to learn how to consistently pull of the EWHF an the launching variant (also the sweep) as it's fairly surprising to noobs if you time one properly, it takes a lot of sweat to use it in battle though.

Yeah I'm consistent enough with my ewhf(CD) input. The sweep (CD+4) launches too so good damage on hit. I tend to condition people with the EWHF before I start mixing in CD+4, works out well against defensive opponents :).

On the subject of lows, I find d/b+4 is also really good as it launches on CH and is quite hard to read.
d+4 is good to get that round ending hit in too.

The punch-low kick-low kick combo and the feints work well against noobs so wait it out and abuse them like hell when you're up against cheapos:p And the sidestep punch:p

"punch-low kick-low kick combo" not sure what this is? I'm probably aware of it and use it but just misinterpreting what you mean.

The sidestep punch (u/f+2) has to be one of the most satisfying moves in the game :D, I use it a lot against certain aggressive opponents.

Defense is certainly the main thing I need to improve, and just match-up experience in general - I'm too unfamiliar with most of the cast. I don't think I'll ever be able to put the time & effort in to get really good, but it's satisfying to learn and keep improving my game. Tekken is awesome!.

Soldato
OP
I suck at everything and Jin is really hard to use effectively:p Reading my opponents' bonkers moves is the worst.

EDIT: Great, got my ass. handed to me by an Asuka with 0 wins 5 times in a row... I'm incredibly bad at this game and her automatic parry requiring no timing at all forced me to use lows most of the time... Managed to win two times miraculously. Even if I managed to block all three low sweeps in a row, she started a new combo before I could react and alternated between highs and lows.

Last edited:
Soldato
I suck at everything and Jin is really hard to use effectively:p Reading my opponents' bonkers moves is the worst.

EDIT: Great, got my ass. handed to me by an Asuka with 0 wins 5 times in a row... I'm incredibly bad at this game and her automatic parry requiring no timing at all forced me to use lows most of the time... Managed to win two times miraculously. Even if I managed to block all three low sweeps in a row, she started a new combo before I could react and alternated between highs and lows.

Getting a move out when someone is all up in your face pressing buttons seems the hardest thing for me in this game.

Soldato
OP
Getting a move out when someone is all up in your face pressing buttons seems the hardest thing for me in this game.

Same for me, especially that characters like Asuka etc. and especially Kazumi have pretty safe moves with long range and insane recovery, the complete opposite of Jin. Asuka's parry stance lasts for a bloody second or so and if you hit her then she doesn't only parry the attack, she throws you with decent damage. When she started mauling me with that one combo I was done for. It's quite hard to read. Honestly, you have to be superhuman to be able to block so many varied moves of all the cheaper characters and find the gap to punish them.
I still have trouble with some Eddies as they're always all over the place. It's sad but Jin is useless in the hand of a non-expert and will be completely overpowered by many easier characters.

Back
Top Bottom