*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I would say no, NVR's do an awful lot of writes, more than storage arrays/NAS's.

I'm currently using a 2.5" 2tb 5400, my udm se is in a rack cabinet and gets a bit warm have had 3.5" drives fail (they were already quite old 9 years +) so tried smaller foam factor so it could have some space. May switch back to a larger 3.5" hdd as I'm not getting much recording with nine cameras four being 4k.

Soldato
I'm currently using a 2.5" 2tb 5400, my udm se is in a rack cabinet and gets a bit warm have had 3.5" drives fail (they were already quite old 9 years +) so tried smaller foam factor so it could have some space. May switch back to a larger 3.5" hdd as I'm not getting much recording with nine cameras four being 4k.
Use a new CCTV specific drive, probably need at least 12tb for that many cameras for 30 days of recordings. An SSD isn’t really big enough unless you are buying enterprise drives which cost £lol and a CCTV application will wear the bad flash very quickly, particularly a small 4tb drive.

A 9 year old non-CCTV drive is going to fail quickly with that kind of workload, wouldn’t read too much into it. You can put a fan in the cabinet if it’s getting a bit warm.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I use WD Red SSDs in my UNVR-Pro and have never had any issues with them and they have yet to show any signs of wear, it does have a noticeable performance increase when viewing/scrubbing recordings.

Soldato
Context is everything though. They have a UDM so are restricted to a single drive which will be overwritten every few days with 9 cameras (4 X 4K) recording to it 24/7. The single SSD is going to get thrashed pretty hard compared to striping across multiple disks.

It’s also not that useful for CCTV as the retention period isn’t long enough.

A single small drive like that is only useful for recording detection events and not 24/7 recording off that many cameras. To spend that much on a CCTV system for it to not record 24/7 feels like a bit of a travesty for the sake of buying the correct hard disk.

Last edited:
Associate
For devices with a single drive I would always go with a CCTV specific drive as their firmware is optimised for writing multiple concurrent streams while providing much slower read rates.

My CCTV server has multiple WD Purple and my file server multiple WD Reds (CMR) and I wrote a test application to test this behaviour as ideally I wanted to avoid keeping spares of both. The Purple drives could manage far more concurrent writes/speed than the same sized Reds. In a system with multiple cameras and some 4K its not hard to overwhelm a single non CCTV drive such as WD Reds or cause more wear.

Man of Honour
I use WD Red SSDs in my UNVR-Pro and have never had any issues with them and they have yet to show any signs of wear, it does have a noticeable performance increase when viewing/scrubbing recordings.
I tried to put a WD Red SSD in my UDM-SE when my first WD Purple Pro died but it seemed that it didn't fit when in the caddy. Did you have any issues with the UNVR-Pro?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I tried to put a WD Red SSD in my UDM-SE when my first WD Purple Pro died but it seemed that it didn't fit when in the caddy. Did you have any issues with the UNVR-Pro?
The UNVR-Pro and UDM/SE use the same caddy iirc

All the SSD's I have tried in the UDM-SE / UNVR / UNVR-Pro seem to fit with no problems. The only SSD drives those units didn't like were the Cruical MX500 drives which appear to show as failed after a reboot / shutdown etc.. I am sure this has something to do with the rain protection but I never looked into much detail with it. Oddly I only bought these WD Reds as a temporary measure and they have been running for 226 days now.

Regarding data retention, with 12 Cameras ( 1x HD, 8 x 2K and 3 x 4K) I get just under 14 days (4 x 2TB drives - R5) which is fine for my use.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Odd. The drive itself fit in the caddy, and the caddy slotted into the UDM-SE, but wasn't picked up at all. I tried a few (I have 4x spare).

Did the SSD have a file system on it, I have seen that behaviour with them but that was mainly on the UNVR. Once you secure erase it or remove all the partitions then the drive normally works.

Man of Honour
Did the SSD have a file system on it, I have seen that behaviour with them but that was mainly on the UNVR. Once you secure erase it or remove all the partitions then the drive normally works.
They would have had some part of a Synology RAID/filesystem on them, I had them in my NAS and replaced them with 4TB versions. It's a good point, I never put them into anything else to erase them. With that said, they didn't even show on CLI.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
They would have had some part of a Synology RAID/filesystem on them, I had them in my NAS and replaced them with 4TB versions. It's a good point, I never put them into anything else to erase them. With that said, they didn't even show on CLI.
Yea, I have seen that behaviour before then, as a wipe should fix that issue. I did find it odd why it gets so easily upset with drives sometimes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Eugh, setting up my new Ubiquiti network, and having a strange issue with all of our Android phones.

I started off with a relatively simple network;

VM hub in modem mode
-> UCG-Ultra​
-> TP Link TL-SG1016PE managed gigabit switch -> Wired devices​
-> U6 Pro access point -> Wireless devices​
Only one network

3 SSIDs on the AP:
- Main (5GHz only)
- Kids (5GHz only)
- IOT (2.4Ghz only)

Main has my partner and my phone, my work laptop, my Steam Deck.
Kids has the kids phones, tablets, Nintendo switch, PC and TV
IOT has all the smart home devices, TVs etc.

At this point everything was working fine (fortunately I took a backup before messing around further...)

However!

I then created a new network with VLAN 2 (Kids), and put the Kids SSID on this network, applied some content filtering, network isolation etc.

This all seemed to work fine, for a while, my son's PC was connecting fine, his TV seemed OK etc. then yesterday we noticed that none of our phones were connected the wifi, and neither was the Nintendo switch.

I did some further fiddling on my phone, and found it was giving an "IP configuration failure" error. They are all authenticating fine, they "connect" to the network, but DHCP seems to be failing for some reason (they are actually visible in the device list on the UCG, but with no IP address).

This is the same on both of the 5GHz networks, but strangely, the 2.4GHz seems to work fine? They are all Pixel phones (except the Switch obviously).

I took another backup at this point, then restored the previous backup, and everything is absolutely fine once more, so this is obviously something to do with having multiple networks/VLANs.

I'm probably configuring something wrong (maybe on my switch), but I spent several hours trying various settings yesterday before giving up and restoring the previous backup :(

Caporegime
I've ordered a Cloud Gateway Ultra because it seems decent for the money, and my Netgate 3100 is getting old and doing strange things. Would have been nice to have more than one 2.5Gbps port but it's cheap enough so I don't really care.

RSR

RSR

Soldato

Improvements​

• Added support for custom Network Address Translation rules on UniFi Gateways*
  • Source and Destination NAT - Specific translation between one or more IP addresses.
  • Masquerade NAT - Translate to the main (primary) IP address associated with an interface.
  • Added Global NAT Settings to disable NAT on all or specific networks.
  • Added the ability to quickly allow domains that are blocked by Ad Blocking through the Inspection side panel.
  • Added the ability to configure more 6GHz channels on Gen7 APs.
  • Added user feedback in the AP side panel if the AP is 6GHz capable but doesn't have 6GHz WiFi networks.
  • Added support for WAN statistics in Port Insights.
  • Improved validation for Traffic Rules.
  • Improved the user experience when using the Inspection page.
  • Improved the user experience when using the Traffic Statistics page.
  • Improved network filtering on the Clients page.
  • Renamed Internet Security to Intrusion Prevention.
*One-to-one translation of IP addresses between subnets (NETMAP) requires a UniFi (Cloud) Gateway with version 4.0.6 or newer. Drag and drop sorting of NAT rules is scheduled for the next release.

Bugfixes​

• Fixed unnecessary scrollbars on Network Application Servers.

Back
Top Bottom