*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Anyone using Ubiquiti kit with Virgin media fiber successfully?

Thinking of ditching the Eeros and getting a CG Ultra or Max plus a couple of APs.

Only gotcha I have is that I’m XGS-PON with Virgin, so it’s a Hub 5x and no modem mode available.

There are some 'hacks' around the modem mode on the 5X which have been posted around for a while now - not sure how stable they are however. I've just upgraded to the package myself for the new house and it's being installed on Tuesday, but pretty sure Manchester hasn't been hit by the upgrades yet, so hopefully will just get the standard hub 5 which isn't missing a heap of features.

Anyone using Ubiquiti kit with Virgin media fiber successfully?

Thinking of ditching the Eeros and getting a CG Ultra or Max plus a couple of APs.

Only gotcha I have is that I’m XGS-PON with Virgin, so it’s a Hub 5x and no modem mode available.

Waiting for modem to mode to arrive before I invest in a new gateway. The only workaround that I think works is an SFP+ XGS-PON stick you can get for around £150 with no guarantee one day it may stop working. I may even try the double NAT route as the VM router is terrible.

Waiting for modem to mode to arrive before I invest in a new gateway. The only workaround that I think works is an SFP+ XGS-PON stick you can get for around £150 with no guarantee one day it may stop working. I may even try the double NAT route as the VM router is terrible.
I think I’ll just stick with the Eero until another ISP passes the house… stuck with OpenReach 80/20 on other providers until they sort that. I shall gaze longingly at Ubiquiti kit until then and put up with the Virgin Hub 5x!

Last edited:
Does anyone know for certain a charger that will power the cloudkey gen 2+? I've only ever run it off poe and need to test it somewhere that I can't. There's so much conflicting advice on reddit/ui forums.

It claims quick charge 2 or 3 should be sufficient but I've tried one and it just claims 'bad power'.

Last edited:
My CGU/Unifi is set up with several VLANs and whilst I can route them through my Pihole, changing the DNS to the Pihole IP in each of the VLANs and setting a firewall rule to route them to the Pihole, I cannot get the Default LAN to route through the Pihole. I started with a test VLAN, with WiFi going through that VLAN, using my iPad to ensure it was routing correctly, and once I had it all worked out I added my other 2 VLANs which at first would not route through the Pihole. I worked out that if I had the VLANs running through the Unifi AD blocking they wouldn't go through the Pihole as well.

No matter what I do I cannot get the Default Lan to run through the Pihole, even turning off AD blocking in Unifi completely doesn't work. Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this.

There are some 'hacks' around the modem mode on the 5X which have been posted around for a while now - not sure how stable they are however. I've just upgraded to the package myself for the new house and it's being installed on Tuesday, but pretty sure Manchester hasn't been hit by the upgrades yet, so hopefully will just get the standard hub 5 which isn't missing a heap of features.
There is also this hack to program a SFP+ Module so it masquerades as a virgin hub.

Last edited:
The ONVIF is interesting, totally useless without ONVIF alerts though.

I can only imagine it must be coming down the line, perhaps they're still working on the UI for it.

The enterprise NVR would be useless without them as you can't expect existing installs to just rip out all their old Hik and Dahua cams.

It would be nice to have a modern app and UI experience with 3rd party cams though, Blue Iris is great, but the app experience is practically non existent.

Last edited:
There is also this hack to program a SFP+ Module so it masquerades as a virgin hub.

That's so tempting! The agonising conundrum of playing and learning new tech, or keeping it all so it just works and that Mrs W remains happy.

Looks like my internet is going to be faster than 1Gb for reasons mainly relating to good luck, so I guess my Cloud Gateway Ultra is being upgraded to a Cloud Gateway Max. I assume this stuff holds its value quite well and I won't lose too much on the Ultra.

Looks like my internet is going to be faster than 1Gb for reasons mainly relating to good luck, so I guess my Cloud Gateway Ultra is being upgraded to a Cloud Gateway Max. I assume this stuff holds its value quite well and I won't lose too much on the Ultra.
Seems to sell for about £90-100 used on Ebay, so yeah.

Enterprise Network Video Recorder has now gone live.

Enterprise NVR Bezel

Introducing UniFi Protect 5.0 and Enterprise NVR​

Last edited:
Unifi peeps - I am looking at adding either a Dream Machine or Unifi Express to my setup. It is pretty basic - a bunch of IoT devices, a single site-to-site VPN to support my mums house, and that's basically it. I am interested in the Dream Machine as I was lookin to add an NVR to my setup. Can the UDM work with Reolink ONVIF cameras?

I have created a wanted thread in the MM if anyone has gear they are looking to shift.

UDM-SE has a single disk slot and you can install Protect on it. 3rd party cameras work with the latest version of Protect but the functionality is pretty basic compared to UniFi’s own cameras. That may change in the future but it’s no guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom