*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Forgot about the Pro. You also have the Pro max with two HDD slots. I personally buy direct from UniFi. They currently have a special offer on where you get a free G4 bullet if you buy an NVR but that might be excessive for your use case.

I will have a 8TB Purple Pro HDD for sale soon, 2799h, warranty etc. If you're interested I can link the for sale thread in here when it's ready.

Forgot about the Pro. You also have the Pro max with two HDD slots. I personally buy direct from UniFi. They currently have a special offer on where you get a free G4 bullet if you buy an NVR but that might be excessive for your use case.

I will have a 8TB Purple Pro HDD for sale soon, 2799h, warranty etc. If you're interested I can link the for sale thread in here when it's ready.
But the Max @ £575 is totally excessive for someone who wants "one slot and basic recording" ;)

Pro Max is quite a bit more spenny than both the Special and the Pro.

I was drawn to the SE because of the 128gb SSD on the off chance alert detection becomes a must have feature.

The SSD in the SE is pretty useless, it’s not big enough really to be an NVR drive, and if you put in a HDD the SSD isn’t used IIRC. It does have POE though.

The SSD in the SE is pretty useless, it’s not big enough really to be an NVR drive, and if you put in a HDD the SSD isn’t used IIRC. It does have POE though.
Ah interesting - so you can still do alerts without the SSD?

Where did you see the special offers? I can only see normal purchases.

Edit: quick search shows the SSD may not be used for recording if a drive is present; so seems a waste. I can put an SFP module in if I ever go 2.5Gb internet. Should I take the saving and get the Pro? £340 on Amazon.

Last edited:
Edit: quick search shows the SSD may not be used for recording if a drive is present; so seems a waste. I can put an SFP module in if I ever go 2.5Gb internet. Should I take the saving and get the Pro? £340 on Amazon.
SE has a 2.5 GbE RJ45 WAN port, and 2x SFP+ ports which you can assign to WAN or LAN. You can also use one of the 8 ports for WAN, but the total bandwidth between the 8x ports and the CPU is 1 Gbps. They'll switch between each other at 1 Gbps though.

SE has a 2.5 GbE RJ45 WAN port, and 2x SFP+ ports which you can assign to WAN or LAN. You can also use one of the 8 ports for WAN, but the total bandwidth between the 8x ports and the CPU is 1 Gbps. They'll switch between each other at 1 Gbps though.
Considering I've only just upgraded to 500Mbit, not sure I need the extra performance. The PoE switch is useful as I have a doorbell nearby, but that's PoE injector territory not exactly a massive headache. Given the SSD is redundant with a larger drive (yes please RE: your 8TB drive providing it isn't mega bucks) --- seems the Pro is the obvious choice at £340 odd.

I can then return my X55 setup and get £180 back and buy two APs (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-U...8&sprefix=access+point+unifi,aps,124&sr=8-3)?

Thanks gents. Ordered a dream machine pro and 2 u6+ aps. No fuss from Amazon refunding my deco X55.

Just need to check I have a decent enough PoE switch for it in the house and an injector for the garden room. Ill reassess mounting options. I know they're ceiling mount but will they be "ok" on a table for a bit? I can do a ceiling drop on the second floor ceiling very easily.

What's the consensus on driving the AP through a TP Link sg1005lp? Feels a bit sacrilege to be using it in conjunction with top shelf unifi gear. I guess it's just just getting power and basic switching - it really isn't utilised beyond the PoE doorbell.

I'll have to swap the deco that joins the house with the garden room with a Zyxel switch I have spare. So I'm going from 3 aps to two, but presume these will spank the X55 deco units.

That seller on Amazon is NextXL who I believe are an authorised distributor. I've ordered from their main website before and all was good.
Thanks - reassuring. Amazon support is always tier 1 so confident I'll be OK. The AP's were in shooting range of Amazon price but then they stuck a tenner on for delivery. Just hope I have a PoE Injector spare in the shed (I am sure I should do)...

Just spent 5 mins creating the worst network diagram in the world. I presume I am not missing anything obvious here - I am annoyed I have a patch cable joining the house to the workshop, but that's how the cookie crumbled when it came to wiring the house. I will run a dedicated wire for both the workshop and garden room when I dig up the side return I think.

S0v2L9i.png

That seller on Amazon is NextXL who I believe are an authorised distributor. I've ordered from their main website before and all was good.
They are my normal go-to seller if the UI store is out of stock or more expensive.

I've always had very good service from them

Sorry for spam - is there an out of the box setup I should be following?

I have a bunch of DHCP reservations I need to make; can I build a file and upload?

I'd like to do some network level filtering of dodgy websites etc. I'll start off with a decent DNS provider, but is there anything else I can enable for privacy? Tired of ad-bombardment, but I do use Quidco.

Sorry for spam - is there an out of the box setup I should be following?

I have a bunch of DHCP reservations I need to make; can I build a file and upload?

I'd like to do some network level filtering of dodgy websites etc. I'll start off with a decent DNS provider, but is there anything else I can enable for privacy? Tired of ad-bombardment, but I do use Quidco.

One thing that impressed me when I set up my Cloud Gateway Ultra was the built in ad blocking feature. It seems to block a hell of a lot of ads. I still added a Pihole since I had a spare Raspberry Pi lying around.

One thing that impressed me when I set up my Cloud Gateway Ultra was the built in ad blocking feature. It seems to block a hell of a lot of ads. I still added a Pihole since I had a spare Raspberry Pi lying around.
I still have a Pi 3B+ knocking around. Is it worth setting it up alongside all this other gear I have?

No harm in it, unless you've already got something else that could host a Pihole in a VM or docker e.g. a NAS or an existing hypervisor
Could possibly overload my Plex server but possibly "more safe" to divide the roles... Do you still configure DNS to Pihole and then a separate DNS just in case it goes down?

Could possibly overload my Plex server but possibly "more safe" to divide the roles... Do you still configure DNS to Pihole and then a separate DNS just in case it goes down?
No you only specify the primary DNS if you only have one pihole, otherwise devices may randomly bypass whatever you are trying to achieve.

(you won't overload anything as pihole uses basically no resources. Our instance at work is using 19.3% of the 4GB allocated ram, and has CPU load averages of 0 0 0 on 2 cores of an old Xeon - and it's serving 150+ clients)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom