*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Just noticed the form factor of the u6 mesh units looks great as well. Can't see me getting away with ceiling or wall installs if the discs.

Expect that I'd have to have them on stands like the BT discs I have at the moment.

Purchased a U6 Pro, a U6 Mesh and a 8 Lite POE, which arrived today. Got it all setup and it’s working well. At least as good as the Eero’s that were being used as mesh access points, that they’ve replaced. U6 Mesh is using wireless uplink as there’s no way to connect it by ethernet where it is in the kitchen. But it’s still giving around 300Mbps which is fine. Same as what the Eero was giving. It’s only really there to give a connection for the solar inverter and batteries. Are there any settings that would help improve things? I’ve only changed the channel width on 5Ghz to 80Mhz. And locked the inverter and batteries to the U6 Mesh.

I'm just reading something on Reddit about compatibility of Non-ubiquiti cameras (ONVIF compatible) going to be able to be used in protect in a coming update. Anyone heard this?

Edit: person is at CEDIA expo in Denver.

Last edited:
Wondering if you can use policy routing and wan failover. I want to send specific ips out over wan2 and everything else out wan1 unless one of the wan dies then it should auto failover and fail back

Wondering if you can use policy routing and wan failover. I want to send specific ips out over wan2 and everything else out wan1 unless one of the wan dies then it should auto failover and fail back
Yes, you should be able to do that.

As an example, I have everything going out of WAN1 other than SMTP which goes via WAN2 to a specific bunch of domains. I also have my Testing VLAN also using WAN2 so as not to affect my main connection.

Last edited:
Yes, you should be able to do that.

As an example, I have everything going out of WAN1 other than SMTP which goes via WAN2 to a specific bunch of domains. I also have my Testing VLAN also using WAN2 so as not to affect my main connection.
Thanks. If you take down wan2 how fast does it work for wan1?

Looks like there are some new UniFi goodies on the way:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/1f9z3eq/more_pictures_of_the_ubiquiti_cedia_rack_new/

vhtJsYG.jpg

BX5v7DN.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. If you take down wan2 how fast does it work for wan1?
I'll need to double-check that and come back to you.

However, it terms of the main failover I have been on teams calls before and I've not noticed it maybe a blip for a second or so but its normally very quick.

I was half expected a NAS if i'm honest, though if they're pushing the NVR side at that sort of market, perhaps G6 cameras will finally start using higher end sensors, and we get full colour in the dark and better build quality. I can but hope...

I was half expected a NAS if i'm honest, though if they're pushing the NVR side at that sort of market, perhaps G6 cameras will finally start using higher end sensors, and we get full colour in the dark and better build quality. I can but hope...

ONVIF support is coming to UniFi Protect. so it means you won't be limited to Protect cameras.

Is anyone using a pair of Unifi Expresses in mesh mode in a challenging environment? How are you finding it?

My parents house is a nightmare. Victorian building with walls that really don't like Wifi signals. Internet comes into the upstairs office and it's been a constant challenge getting it downstairs.

Currently relying on shaky powerline adapters but am wondering how well a pair of Expresses would do. I'm also liking that I could plug Ethernet into the "remote" unit.

My issue is I don't really want to fork out for a pair of units only to find it doesn't work or I need to buy a third to put between them to repeat the signal.
How "tenacious" are they? Can they mesh successfully with a weak signal?

If you can’t get good WiFi down where you need to place the second unit, a mesh system will not work as you’ll still have the weak link between the units.

You are much better off biting the bullet and running a cable.

I'm just reading something on Reddit about compatibility of Non-ubiquiti cameras (ONVIF compatible) going to be able to be used in protect in a coming update. Anyone heard this?

Edit: person is at CEDIA expo in Denver.
I hope this is true, i've got 50 odd Hikvision cameras and 15 Unifi ones, gradually replacing the hikvision ones with unifi....but if i can just ditch the hikvision NVR and put all the cameras into my Unifi ones, well, that would be epic time and money saver! If it is true, i hope there's no limitations around functionality such as displaying them on viewports etc.

I hope this is true, i've got 50 odd Hikvision cameras and 15 Unifi ones, gradually replacing the hikvision ones with unifi....but if i can just ditch the hikvision NVR and put all the cameras into my Unifi ones, well, that would be epic time and money saver! If it is true, i hope there's no limitations around functionality such as displaying them on viewports etc.
From what I've been reading, there are going to be some limitations but can't recall what. From memory, I think it was the likes of notifications etc won't work without unifi cameras.

From what I've been reading, there are going to be some limitations but can't recall what. From memory, I think it was the likes of notifications etc won't work without unifi cameras.
I did a bit more digging around in places like the unifi discord... So far it seems like it'll be limited to viewing and recording only, no ai/detection features. Suggestions that the protect update might be coming next month along with the release of the enterprise nvr. (all mentions from supposed people who were at that expo)

My only question mark is whether motion detection will work in the recording capacity with a third party camera. That's the only thing I'd be disappointed to lose out on really... Though not a disaster.

I did a bit more digging around in places like the unifi discord... So far it seems like it'll be limited to viewing and recording only, no ai/detection features. Suggestions that the protect update might be coming next month along with the release of the enterprise nvr. (all mentions from supposed people who were at that expo)

My only question mark is whether motion detection will work in the recording capacity with a third party camera. That's the only thing I'd be disappointed to lose out on really... Though not a disaster.
I'm unsure if it will from my understanding of rumours. I've basically heard the same as yourself that 3rd party cameras will have the basics of viewing and recording.

Just received and installed my U7 pro, taking place from my AC Lite. Wow, this is a chunky boi in comparison. I suspect the usual settings apply or should I set this one up any differently?

Back
Top Bottom