*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
@squerble the UDR may be a better entry level device for your needs.

The built in AP is 4x4 instead of 2x2 and it has an integrated POE switch. Then add a U6 lite as a second AP somewhere.

You can also run protect on it so if you really want to spend more money, you can run the Ubiquiti door bell off it and ditch Ring. I wouldn’t recommend handing more cameras than that off it though as it’s Micro SD recording only.

Last edited:
Soldato
@squerble the UDR may be a better entry level device for your needs.

The built in AP is 4x4 instead of 2x2 and it has an integrated POE switch. Then add a U6 lite as a second AP somewhere.

You can also run protect on it so if you really want to spend more money, you can run the Ubiquiti door bell off it and ditch Ring. I wouldn’t recommend handing more cameras than that off it though as it’s Micro SD recording only.
Would I still be better getting a UCG-Ultra alongside the UDR? From what I can see online throughput is reduced when using IPS/IDS so I guess shipping them off to the UCG would be helpful?

Is the internal switch manageable, do you know?

Last edited:
Soldato
Would I still be better getting a UCG-Ultra alongside the UDR? From what I can see online throughput is reduced when using IPS/IDS so I guess shipping them off to the UCG would be helpful?

What part of IPS or IDS do you need? Do you want IPS or IDS? You can’t have both. Has your network been penetrated previously? Do you see a lot of unusual traffic trying to get OUT of your network? Do you use encrypted (https) websites or only http? IPS and IDS cannot monitor encrypted traffic so they do nothing in any https website.

All UniFi switching is managed.

Soldato
Only if you want to spend more money for little gain. IPS/IDS isn't particularly useful in a home environment and can't read encrypted traffic e.g. VPN.
Yes, it should be listed on the spec sheet somewhere.

edit: memo to self, read all the responses before responding

Last edited:
Associate
anyone know how reliable / durable are the old gen switches like us-24/16-poe ?
Looking to get a switch and undecided if used are worthwhile.
Google seems to suggest that the power supplies / fan can fail on these but not sure how widespread the issue is.

Soldato
anyone know how reliable / durable are the old gen switches like us-24/16-poe ?
Looking to get a switch and undecided if used are worthwhile.
Google seems to suggest that the power supplies / fan can fail on these but not sure how widespread the issue is.

Fans are just fans and are very easily replaced. PSUs were undoubtedly an issue on the US-8-150W to the point where they actually released a power supply as a spare part for it (GP-K540-280).The same PSU also fits the US-16-150W.

I’ve not had one fail on me personally but certainly back in 2016/2017 it was a thing. The overwhelming benefit of the older switches is that all the ports are PoE+.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone assist me with an issue that I came up with yesterday evening?
Getting the kitchen ripped out so the joiner flipped the breakers knocking off the internet equipment. Since powering back up, None of the apple devices in the house are getting any internet. Finding and connecting to the WiFi ok but just states no internet. All the android and windows devices are working fine.

Soldato
Why do you want two gateway devices?

IDS/IPS is a waste of time for a typical home environment IMO.

What part of IPS or IDS do you need? Do you want IPS or IDS? You can’t have both. Has your network been penetrated previously? Do you see a lot of unusual traffic trying to get OUT of your network? Do you use encrypted (https) websites or only http? IPS and IDS cannot monitor encrypted traffic so they do nothing in any https website.

All UniFi switching is managed.

OK fair enough. The IDS/IPS was more of a "well it's there, might as well turn it on". So it looks like my options to dip my toes in will be:

• UDR + U6 Lite - This will give me 4x4 on the downstairs AP (up from 2x2 on the X20s). I won't go to the effort of ceiling mounting the U6 so will compromise signal slightly, but given the size of the house, likely won't be of any issue at all. ~£286
  • 2*UX + Flex Mini Switch - Matches 2x2 of current APs. May find the interface a bit laggy/have poor results so could end up needing to add UCG-Ultra. The switch is also not PoE so painting myself into a bit of a corner if I ever want to switch to "proper" APs. ~£276
  • UX + U6 Lite + Flex Mini Switch - Same as above, plus will need a PoE injector for the U6. ~£255

All this is fairly academic at the moment as most things are out of stock/unavailable.

Soldato
Your existing setup works doesn't it? Why the change?
Works great as a flat network setup, yep.

I want to start learning something a bit more complex - the Dexo X20s have a built-in toggleable IoT and guest network features, but they're just basically a new SSID and subnet. I want to learn to do that "properly" with segregated vLANs, as well as be able to build firewall rules to let a Firestick on the IoT network get to my Jellyfin server etc etc.

It's mostly just to nerd out :)

Soldato
Consider getting a gateway device and running the Network Application/controller on a Pi, or even in Oracle Cloud free tier.
Any reason to run separate? The UCG-Ultra is only £95 and runs the Network application and has a non-PoE switch built-in. I'd have to pair it with two U6 Lite and a PoE switch (or flex mini switch + 2* PoE injectors).

Man of Honour
Any reason to run separate? The UCG-Ultra is only £95 and runs the Network application and has a non-PoE switch built-in. I'd have to pair it with two U6 Lite and a PoE switch (or flex mini switch + 2* PoE injectors).
It's 'only' 1 Gbps, and there have been reports of poor performance but that could have been user specific reasons and not the device itself.

Soldato
It's 'only' 1 Gbps, and there have been reports of poor performance but that could have been user specific reasons and not the device itself.
I mean, "only" 1Gbps is absolutely fine for me internally, and probably will be for a while. Plus I only have a 500Mb internet connection.

Soldato
That looks interesting and is weatherproof. It’s a shame that there is not a proper successor to the OG AC-Mesh, I don’t really need a 4x4 AP for outside.

That said my AC-mesh is perfectly adequate for that job.

Soldato
Seen the U6-Mesh-Pro listed on the store, not sure when that appeared, but the form factor is of interest. Nicely flush mount on a wall etc.

You know it’s MASSIVE? It’s literally a foot tall, 5” wide and 2” thick. It’s BIG. It’s the replacement for the old UAP-AC-Mesh Pro which was also mahoosive. That said, it’s a fantastic outdoor access point.

Soldato
That looks interesting and is weatherproof. It’s a shame that there is not a proper successor to the OG AC-Mesh, I don’t really need a 4x4 AP for outside.

That said my AC-mesh is perfectly adequate for that job.

The Swiss Army Knife is the new UAP-AC-Mesh replacement and the U6-Mesh Pro is the replacement for the old UAP-AC-Mesh Pro. If you’ve got a big garden then one or two of those are exactly what you want.

Back
Top Bottom