OLED 4K 30" 60 Hz - Dell UP3017Q

Caporegime
People actually watch youtube fullscreen? :p :o Can't remember the last time I used full screen on youtube.

I prefer using an app to do this:

ikrpsSD.jpg

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
People actually watch youtube fullscreen? :p :o Can't remember the last time I used full screen on youtube.

I prefer using an app to do this:

ikrpsSD.jpg
I watch it full screen, and guess what, it fits nicely too :p

But I suppose I would do that if I was on ultrawide also, as going full screen would just annoy me.

Caporegime
I watch it full screen, and guess what, it fits nicely too :p

But I suppose I would do that if I was on ultrawide also, as going full screen would just annoy me.
I've never watched youtube fullscreen even with my 16.9 screens. In fact, for a lot of the stuff, I generally just had it playing in the background when browsing other sites.

Why? Black bars on side is no different to a 16.9 screen, except a 16.9 doesn't have the screen space in the first place in order to be able to show black bars :p

I don't get why people complain about black bars on the sides of 21.9 screens but they don't seem to mind black bars on the bottom and top of 16.9 screens when viewing 21.9 content :D

Associate
It's the pixel shifting technology. You should not use OLED TVs as monitors because of static image burn-in issue that all OLEDs have. This is one of the trickiest things that slowed down the adoption of OLEDs for computers and laptops.

So essentially if one was to purchase this monitor were paying a premium for something that's been around on plasmas year ago , on my pioneer its called orbit mode i.e. pixel shift.

Still cant get my hat on price , just seems ridiculous for what were getting. Ill eat my hat if the screen has same kind on quality control ie tested and run in before hand. I would also expect it to be calibrated at least.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't get why people complain about black bars on the sides of 21.9 screens but they don't seem to mind black bars on the bottom and top of 16.9 screens when viewing 21.9 content :D
I don't view any 21:9 content on my monitor. Well, hardly ever anyway. Movies are for my TV. You do make a good point though.

Still, those cut scenes in games man... :p;)

Associate
OP
So essentially if one was to purchase this monitor were paying a premium for something that's been around on plasmas year ago , on my pioneer its called orbit mode i.e. pixel shift.

Pixel shift in practice isn't noticeable, especially at these resolutions. My LG OLED did it and was a non-issue.

This is aimed squarely at the professional market place, not gaming so no-one should be surprised that it isn't 120/144Hz, Gsync, Freesync, Ultra wide etc.

There isn't anyone else making 4K OLED panels, so this has to be LG, others are all AMOLED or much smaller.

It isn't LG. Samsung makes all the OLED panels for the 13-14" laptops that use those screens. Ron over at oled-info.com also expects it to be Samsung. Although I leave a 10% chance to Sony, since their master monitors have a 30" 4K OLED panel.

On another note; Praise Jebus that was fast, my Dell OLED has already shipped! Arrives on Monday.

Soldato
Pixel shift in practice isn't noticeable, especially at these resolutions. My LG OLED did it and was a non-issue.

It isn't LG. Samsung makes all the OLED panels for the 13-14" laptops that use those screens. Ron over at oled-info.com also expects it to be Samsung. Although I leave a 10% chance to Sony, since their master monitors have a 30" 4K OLED panel.

On another note; Praise Jebus that was fast, my Dell OLED has already shipped! Arrives on Monday.

The Sony panel is AMOLED (afaik) and it covers less of the Rec2020 colour space at only 80%, Dell are supposedly covering 85.8% with this model. I would be very surprised if it is a Samsung, since they again afaik they are are using the capacity they have in the mobile/laptop space, especially with the huge development they are ploughing into it for Apple's next phone. Happy to be proven wrong, as always :)

EDIT: Proven myself wrong, it is AMOLED.

Associate

I understand this fella , ive run it on my pioneer krp since the day ive owned it and you wouldn't notice if it was on or of. Im just trying to understand the price i.e. what am I getting at 30" at 3500 compared to a 55 hdr tv on market at the half the price HACO earlier mentioned pixel shift but that dosent warranty this premium price , I don't understand why were paying so much more for less estate at same htz 60.

Associate
OP
I understand this fella , ive run it on my pioneer krp since the day ive owned it and you wouldn't notice if it was on or of. Im just trying to understand the price i.e. what am I getting at 30" at 3500 compared to a 55 hdr tv on market at the half the price HACO earlier mentioned pixel shift but that dosent warranty this premium price , I don't understand why were paying so much more for less estate at same htz 60.

Really low volume items always skyrocket the price. LG sells hundreds of thousands of OLED TV's. Plus the monitor has PC professional graphics items and 3 year pixel perfect warranty, stuff TV's don't have.

Associate
Really low volume items always skyrocket the price. LG sells hundreds of thousands of OLED TV's. Plus the monitor has PC professional graphics items and 3 year pixel perfect warranty, stuff TV's don't have.

Plus Dell beat everyone else to market. It's the first consumer OLED monitor available which allows them to charge a hefty premium.

Proven myself wrong, it is AMOLED.

What's the source on it being a Samsung panel?

Last edited:
Caporegime

Just curious but why did you order this? Considering you can get a 55" LG OLED HDR 4k TV for around £1600?

Only reason I can think of is the size limitation but then again, I would "make" room for a 55" TV in order save thousands. Of course, a 55" screen won't be ideal for browsing etc. but then again, I wouldn't be spending that amount extra for OLED just to browse, personally I would get decent cheap IPS 24" IPS screen for browsing etc. and use the TV for all films/tv shows + gaming.

And the other reason "possibly" being less input lag.... It will be interesting to see how this OLED fares for this as generally dell's non-gaming markets have rather high input lag compared to other manufacturers versions of the panel/display.

As for pixel shift not being noticeable, what about if you are sitting close? As in close, that you would be for a monitor? Never seen it myself so no idea how it looks.

Or are you just loaded? :D :p

I don't view any 21:9 content on my monitor. Well, hardly ever anyway. Movies are for my TV. You do make a good point though.

Still, those cut scenes in games man... :p;)
Well you will still get black bars on the top and bottom on your TV with most films too! :D :p ;)

If anything, TV's are even worse for the black bars due to their size, I actually find myself preferring to watch some 21.9 films on my monitor over my panasonic plasma for this reason alone :o

But yeah I don't care if people don't like 21.9, after all, 4k, 144/60hz, 21.9/16.9, IPS/VA/TN etc. as it is all down to personal preference in the end but I just never get the black bars argument, it's no different to a 16.9 screen, sure it somewhat breaks immersion but 90% of the time I play games, it is all pure gameplay, I suppose if you're into heavy story driven games like mass effect etc. then it might be rather annoying.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well you will still get black bars on the top and bottom on your TV with most films too! :D :p ;)

If anything, TV's are even worse for the black bars due to their size, I actually find myself preferring to watch some 21.9 films on my monitor over my panasonic plasma for this reason alone :o

But yeah I don't care if people don't like 21.9, after all, 4k, 144/60hz, 21.9/16.9, IPS/VA/TN etc. as it is all down to personal preference in the end but I just never get the black bars argument, it's no different to a 16.9 screen, sure it somewhat breaks immersion but 90% of the time I play games, it is all pure gameplay, I suppose if you're into heavy story driven games like mass effect etc. then it might be rather annoying.
You do care ;):p

End of the day 2160p has nearly double the amount of pixels. Much better PPI leading to sharper more immersive graphics. Once 21:9 4K panel comes out, I may give it another go then ;)

Caporegime
You do care ;):p

End of the day 2160p has nearly double the amount of pixels. Much better PPI leading to sharper more immersive graphics. Once 21:9 4K panel comes out, I may give it another go then ;)
Nope i don't, it's just a stupid/non issue argument imo :p For myself and the games I play, I would say my time is spent with about 90/80% of gameplay and the other 10/20% being cut scenes, the gameplay in 21.9 more than makes up for any 16.9 cut scenes imo, I imagine this is the same for most 21.9 gamers. Heck I know some people who even skip cut scenes for games altogether! :eek:

And yup not disputing that 4k has its advantages, well, as long as you stick to 32" or less if you want the sharpness/clarity benefits ;)

4k is nice though and definitely once 21.9 4k comes out, it will be worth looking at, until then is no going back to 16.9 for me, it just feels nowhere as immersive/cinematic as a 21.9 monitor imo and some games that have no FOV control feel so cramped to play.

Saying that, even if monitor manufacturers brought the 3840x1600 down to the 34" screens, that would give them 122 PPI, that's only 15 PPI difference with a 32" 4k display and with a 21.9 34" screen, you would be viewing it from a lot further back (or at least should be anyway to get the true sense/benefit of 21.9) so you will get the perception of a more sharper/clearer looking display than the 32" 4k.

However, saying that, with 21.9 being 21.9 i.e. costing more than its 16.9 equivalent as well as being even slower for adopting new tech. I could be tempted to get a 32" 4k OLED screen (only when the price is sensible though) and then run a custom 21.9 res. for games, but then I would have to deal with the black bars on the top and bottom.... :p :(

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nope i don't, it's just a stupid/non issue argument imo :p For myself and the games I play, I would say my time is spent with about 90/80% of gameplay and the other 10/20% being cut scenes, the gameplay in 21.9 more than makes up for any 16.9 cut scenes imo, I imagine this is the same for most 21.9 gamers. Heck I know some people who even skip cut scenes for games altogether! :eek:

And yup not disputing that 4k has its advantages, well, as long as you stick to 32" or less if you want the sharpness/clarity benefits ;)

4k is nice though and definitely once 21.9 4k comes out, it will be worth looking at, until then is no going back to 16.9 for me, it just feels nowhere as immersive/cinematic as a 21.9 monitor imo and some games that have no FOV control feel so cramped to play.

Saying that, even if monitor manufacturers brought the 3840x1600 down to the 34" screens, that would give them 122 PPI, that's only 15 PPI difference with a 32" 4k display and with a 21.9 34" screen, you would be viewing it from a lot further back (or at least should be anyway to get the true sense/benefit of 21.9) so you will get the perception of a more sharper/clearer looking display than the 32" 4k.

However, saying that, with 21.9 being 21.9 i.e. costing more than its 16.9 equivalent as well as being even slower for adopting new tech. I could be tempted to get a 32" 4k OLED screen (only when the price is sensible though) and then run a custom 21.9 res. for games, but then I would have to deal with the black bars on the top and bottom.... :p :(
Until the recent windows update which improved windows scaling even further, I wanted 32" 4K monitor next. But now I actually think I will stick to 27" so I can keep my 163ppi :)

Okay, back on topic now. Seems only person here getting on of these monitors is Vega. Wonder if @Kaapstad will get one? :p

Really interested in seeing the reviews and impressions of people for this monitor and the 8K Dell. For me the only other exciting monitor that is coming out is that Asus 4K 144Hz one.

Soldato
No confirmation that it is Samsung only that it is AMOLED, tells you in the manual.

That goes without saying. The 'AM' simply means 'Active Matrix', which applies to anything that would be used as a monitor (or TV, for that matter). The alternative is to have a 'Passive Matrix', a relic of the past for displays unless they are designed to be extremely simple and inexpensive for a specific use. Like, displaying numbers on a shop till or something.

Soldato
+1

And expect to see freesync in the next version, milking is a fine art and it has to be done right ;)

- this year, just the bog standard panel itself
- next next years model, maybe 75+HZ or/and free/g sync and 32"+
- year after that, without a doubt, 144+HZ and/or free + gsync

Why give the people everything in one try when they can get people to either double or triple dip!!! :D

The 2016 and newer OLEDs have solved the burn in (well it is still there but nowhere to the same extent and they have found a way to remove any substantial burn in), iirc, it was something to do with resetting the voltage and I believe whatever the program is, it runs when the TV is in standby, they also have some form of software that shifts the pixels to the left/right every now and then.

Although how this will work with static items/images on desktop/windows usage remains to be seen....

They solved that for TVs, not for monitors. These are entirely different use cases and require different solutions to the burn-in problem. The level of statisticity in computer desktops use cases is significantly more than that of TVs.

Back
Top Bottom