OLED 4K 30" 60 Hz - Dell UP3017Q

Associate
OP
Reading over the manual some items stuck out to me:

300 cd/m² (≤1% Load) maximum brightness and 120 cd/m² (100% Load). Automatic brightness control is not unexpected from an emmisive display, but I guess I will have to test how significant it is.

90 µs (micro-second) pixel transition speed, or less than 0.1ms. Way faster than other display types.

120Hz (selectable) - obvious typo or some strange low resolution capability. It IS interesting that it does list some lower resolutions at 75 Hz, such as 1280 x 1024. Will definitely be interesting testing the over-clock-ability of the different resolutions.

"OLED Monitor Quality and Pixel Policy" link doesn't seem to work.

"Flicker Free On eliminates flickering by doubling the screen frame rate." This one has me a bit worried. It is known that Samsung OLED displays in Laptops use PWM (240Hz) to prevent image retention. The wording of this isn't very clear. Doubling the screen frame rate? \

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading over the manual some items stuck out to me:

300 cd/m² (≤1% Load) maximum brightness and 120 cd/m² (100% Load). Automatic brightness control is not unexpected from an emmisive display, but I guess I will have to test how significant it is.

90 µs (micro-second) pixel transition speed, or less than 0.1ms. Way faster than other display types.

120Hz (selectable) - obvious typo or some strange low resolution capability. It IS interesting that it does list some lower resolutions at 75 Hz, such as 1280 x 1024. Will definitely be interesting testing the over-clock-ability of the different resolutions.

"OLED Monitor Quality and Pixel Policy" link doesn't seem to work.

"Flicker Free On eliminates flickering by doubling the screen frame rate." This one has me a bit worried. It is known that Samsung OLED displays in Laptops use PWM (240Hz) to prevent image retention. The wording of this isn't very clear. Doubling the screen frame rate? \

I'll be posting a video review of this bad boy!

Can't wait!

Soldato
I am cold on this monitor. Too big to be a monitor (IMHO), too small to be a TV, stuck at 60hz.

Will wait for reviews.

Soldato
Anyone else would like a QHD option with all other specs the same (and ideally a lower price)?

...I don't want to spend my life buying £1000 gpus to power it, and Windows UI scaling is terrible, yet basically mandatory at this ppi. QHD is fine at this scale, imho; roughly the same pixel density as a 24" 1080p.

Associate
OP
Holy hell this thing is beautiful.... 5.4ms MPRT at 60 Hz! Gotta love near instant OLED pixels. It double strobes a 60 Hz input at 120 Hz for the great motion clarity.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
By the way, neither HDMI 2.0 nor DP 1.2 allows this monitor to go over 60 Hz, at any time, at any refresh rate. It just frame skips. I use DP 1.2 as that allows 10-bit color, which HDMI 2.0 does now allow. Back after more testing...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Holy hell this thing is beautiful.... 5.4ms MPRT at 60 Hz! Gotta love near instant OLED pixels. It double strobes a 60 Hz input at 120 Hz for the great motion clarity.
Drool...

Does it have missing pixels or there are any other defects? With IPS you have backlight bleed or IPS glow for example, any weird ones for OLED?

Get some pictures up when you can :)

Soldato
well if it's using backlight strobing then that is not great but i assume it can be toggled on and off (?) so not a biggie on that front.

Caporegime
Probably best keeping up to date with this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1627849/oled-4k-30-60-hz-dell-up3017q/130

Vega's pics:

ab1d78c3_20170417_222518_resized.jpeg

900x900px-LL-c1c0084c_WP_20170417_16_38_00_Rich.jpeg

18c9150d_20170417_221828.jpeg

Those blacks :cool:

Oh and to answer my own question:

Or are you just loaded? :D :p

Looking at this sig on overclock, 2x titan XP..... yup looks to be :p :D

Saw someone say that the input lag is around low 20ms??? So if true, essentially, the only reason to get this over a £1600 55" 4k OLED HDR TV is for where you don't have enough space for a 55" display.

Good news is that I can't see of any reports of burn in issues so far.....

EDIT:

And those viewing angles!

WP_20170417_14_45_13_Rich.jpg

LCD is officially dead to me now!

Roll on OLED :cool:

As far as I know, nothing soon, albeit I am trying to find out when/why
34" 1440 OLED 60-100HZ freesync with LFC for <£1600, make it happen! :D :p ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Those glorious black levels!

With space battles in Battlefront 2 and Star Citizen on the horizon I really can't picture myself getting any new monitor at this point which isn't an OLED, or has emissive pixels of some kind.

Caporegime
Those glorious black levels!

With space battles in Battlefront 2 and Star Citizen on the horizon I really can't picture myself getting any new monitor at this point which isn't an OLED, or has emissive pixels of some kind.
Same!

LCD is a complete no go for me now, it is just dated tech plagued with issues and compromises (sure OLED will have some of its own issues but nowhere as bad as current LCD atm...)

Despite the price tag, I'm so glad dell have finally released this, it is going to make all current LCD monitors look pitiful and hopefully give the other manufacturers the kick up the ass that they need to really drive the monitor industry forward again.

Associate
OP
well if it's using backlight strobing then that is not great but i assume it can be toggled on and off (?) so not a biggie on that front.

There is no backlight with OLED. The strobing of the emissive pixels is by design to help ward off image retention. It also has the side effect of drastically increasing motion clarity. This monitor has no sample-and-hold mode at all. (flicker free).

Drool...

Does it have missing pixels or there are any other defects? With IPS you have backlight bleed or IPS glow for example, any weird ones for OLED?

Get some pictures up when you can :)

Zero defects. Packaging is quite beautiful too. You can tell Dell spent their time with this baby.

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu on a recent Dell display?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Oh my. That monitor oozes quality. Now that is what you call a monitor!

I would take that over adaptive-sync or extra hertz any day. But obviously would not hurt to have FreeSync 2 with it in the future :)

Zero defects. Packaging is quite beautiful too. You can tell Dell spent their time with this baby.

Does anyone know how to get into the service menu on a recent Dell display?
Thanks for the info. Got a Dell myself but not been into a service menu in a long time so it has likely changed.

Back
Top Bottom