OLED 4K 30" 60 Hz - Dell UP3017Q

Associate
This is where we should be in monitor tech right now if companies weren't holding it back as long as possible. I'm very glad I haven't purchased a new monitor in 4 years.

Caporegime
This is where we should be in monitor tech right now if companies weren't holding it back as long as possible. I'm very glad I haven't purchased a new monitor in 4 years.
+1

But as long as people keep lapping up £800+ LCD's and accepting bleed etc. issues then the manufacturers have no reason to push forward. Once OLED becomes more consumer price friendly, LCD tech will be very hard for the companies to sell...

Associate
is g-sync/freesync still going to be relevant on this thing (eventually) or has the way OLED functions made it a little redundant?

Associate
As far as I know, nothing soon, albeit I am trying to find out when/why

Fair enough - well hopefully this means that the big players stop regurgitating the same tired tech and push forwards in the very near future, hopefully you'll be able to keep us updated as you hear on the grapevine.

Back on topic though and not even focusing on the specs and picture quality of the monitor, the whole minimal profile when it comes to the overall physical footprint (or lack of) looks fantastic.

Caporegime
Fair enough - well hopefully this means that the big players stop regurgitating the same tired tech and push forwards in the very near future, hopefully you'll be able to keep us updated as you hear on the grapevine.

Back on topic though and not even focusing on the specs and picture quality of the monitor, the whole minimal profile when it comes to the overall physical footprint (or lack of) looks fantastic.

Sounds like nothing from LG for at least a year if their's nothing in development...

Associate
OP
Single strobe 60 Hz:

Double strobe 60 Hz:

Associate
As far as I know, nothing soon, albeit I am trying to find out when/why

Just make it an ultrawide, with a reasonably high refresh rate and support Gsync / Freesync and you can still be first to market with a gaming oriented OLED. Best be quick though, I expect many manufacturers may take Dell's lead.

Associate
OP
@Vega

How have you found gaming to be on it. Not just in terms of what ms, but generally speaking. Do you prefer gaming on it more than an IPS panel.

The double image takes some getting used to, but the motion clarity is definitely better than any regular LCD under 120 Hz not strobing the backlight. There is a tinge of input lag too, and at 60 Hz it won't feel as "snappy and smooth" as 120+ Hz displays. Overall I am quite satisfied, and of course the panel makes games look absolutely gorgeous.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The double image takes some getting used to, but the motion clarity is definitely better than any regular LCD under 120 Hz not strobing the backlight. There is a tinge of input lag too, and at 60 Hz it won't feel as "snappy and smooth" as 120+ Hz displays. Overall I am quite satisfied, and of course the panel makes games look absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks for the info Vega. Really looking forward to these in the future :)

Associate
I had OLED in a laptop and it looked stunning but in game screen tear was far too obvious. OLED vs IPS absolutely no comparison for quality. Even if they kept it at 60hz (4k) but added gsync I'd be all over it like a rash. It like the difference between TN and IPS, x10.

Back
Top Bottom