Olympic Tennis

Soldato
That's fine, Laura has plenty of time to get her gold medal. We can be proud of the pair of them, especially as they were thrown in at the last moment.

Although it's got to be a proud moment for pigeons everywhere.

Associate
Robson played fantastic she was giving the Olympic bronze medalist a run for her money. I think she just faltered a little under the pressure which is understandably.

Man of Honour
Useless, useless woman!

good try by murray and laura, lauras just a bit too green atm

For an 18 year old playing in her first major finals and a man who only played a major final less than a couple of hours before I'd say they did not too shabby.

Laura Robson has a lot of potential and hopefully this experience will stand her in good stead for the future, it's also got the makings of a promising mixed doubles pairing with a bit more practice and experience to build upon.

Soldato
I suppose at the end of the day, a silver medal is still an achievement. Yeah its not the gold, which is a pity, but its 2nd place! Silver does not = shame!

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that would've ended worse for GB. The pressure was clearly getting to everyone as they were making massive unforced errors but Robson was getting the worst of it.

Associate
laura isn't bad shes just inconsistent, some fantastic moments from her but she does need to work a making her tennis a bit more stable. I'm sure in a few years she will be a star tennis player in her own right.

One

One

Soldato
I don't think any mixed doubles matches are ever 5 sets are they?

I haven't got a clue, but it would mean they can afford to lose a set or two and still have the time to get their game together and take the win. You could see how tight it was. 10-8 on the tight break, if it was best of 5 it would simply be 2-1 to Belarus, rather than them getting the gold.

Soldato
I haven't got a clue, but it would mean they can afford to lose a set or two and still have the time to get their game together and take the win. You could see how tight it was. 10-8 on the tight break, if it was best of 5 it would simply be 2-1 to Belarus, rather than them getting the gold.

Yeah but from the way they were starting to dominate the court, it could have easily turned into 3 - 1 after that.

Soldato
Murray has turned me from a hater to a lover. His Wimbledon reaction was touching but most importantly ,he is going for more and more winners. Hopefully he follows Djokovic's improvement curve.

He used to drive me nuts with his constant counter punches and lack of creative aggression but slowly he is trying to hit more unexpected winners during rallies. Bravo. Much more interesting to watch.

He sung the English national anthem, double bravo.

He mentored Robson superbly and the pair of them performed more than the sum of their parts. He is a dreadful volleyer and she is inconsistent; this tournament was an impressive series of performance. Triple bravo.

Robson is a lovely player. She is not the finished product but she has the potential to do seriously well in the future if she can keep improving.

Associate
I would say he is the best player in the world at the moment. Tiredness or not from fed, the amount of power murray was getting off his forehand I havent seen from him before. He was consistently hitting the baseline with some awesome shots to boot.

Hopefully he can build on this and get his first major. Well played son.

Back
Top Bottom