Olympic Track Cycling

Didn't hear it but apparently the young lad of the sprint team admited he fell off on purpose because he got a slow start! :eek:

If he did I suspect we haven't heard the end of that. Hope there is no route to have those medals took off them!
Thankfully that was for the qualifying rather than the round, so it could be argued we would have qualified anyway. Honestly though Im not impressed if that is what happened, Im assuming hes just joking but he didnt express himself well...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Thankfully that was for the qualifying rather than the round, so it could be argued we would have qualified anyway. Honestly though Im not impressed if that is what happened, Im assuming hes just joking but he didnt express himself well...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Commentators were saying it was something wrong with the steering. I don't really see how that can be broke, maybe a true word being said in jest by the lap 1 rider.

So Pendleton is blind is she? There's a clearly marked line for her to use to tell her when she can overtake.

shes following jess's back wheel at around 35mph not trying to look past jess to where the line is. its jess's job to deliver vic to the line

you obviously have no idea about track cycling

I thought I heard some discussion of this somewhere on the coverage, that the zone marking is difficult to see for the following rider, so they're somewhat reliant on the leading rider. Also I thought that there is a slight controversy and general feeling that the lines are too difficult to see for all riders inc. the lead and the zones/markings could (or should) be better implemented. That said it's the same for all so the situation is being accepted as is.

In truth I don't know enough about the track racing, but I thought Pendleton while clearly very upset in the interview, was very gracious and shouldered the blame as a team.

Stay classy, Team GB:

The British cycling team's opening-night Olympic gold medal is under the spotlight, after one of its riders admitted to deliberately crashing to force a restart.

Philip Hindes crashed early in the qualifying round of the men's team sprint against Germany, with competition rules allowing for a restart of the race.

German-born Hindes told reporters after the race he had crashed deliberately because Great Britain had got away to a poor start.

He said the strategy had been discussed prior to the race.

"We were saying if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart," Hindes was quoted as saying by British newspapers on Thursday.

"I just crashed. I did it on purpose to get a restart ... it was all planned really."

However, speaking after the team went on to win the gold medal, Hindes seemed to correct himself, saying he merely lost control of his bike and crashed.

(Source).

Lying, cheating *******.

Stay classy, Team GB:

(Source).

Lying, cheating *******.

.. how are you guys doing again? going well in the Swimming isn't it? :D

He did have mechanical issues, but had he not fallen GB would have been forced to continue with 2.
He did deliberately take the fall to force a restart, which the experts in the studio have already explained is the done thing when you have an issue.
Thats what he means by bad start .. bad not as in performance.

Last edited:
Watch the post-race commentary and he clearly states he binned it to get a better start. 'Lost in translation' is bending the truth more than a little bit. That said, it's in the rules to be able to do that, apparently, so what he did was perfectly legal.

Back
Top Bottom