Opinions on HP ProLiant ML115 G5

Hi guys, I wonder is someone can help out a non-techie?

I've had the ML115 for over a year now and I'm still very happy with it, but I think it's due a Xmas upgrade! I'm looking to upgrade the memory and disks.
I'm looking to upgrade the memory to 4Gb with the possibility of upgrading it again later. I'm currently running Fedora on the box, so I can do a 2nd upgrade of the same size. However, the Fedora gives me the problem! - on the many previous machines that I've upgraded the memory on, I was running Windows, so I could use the scanner on the Crucial site, secure in the knowledge that it would be right or I'd get my money back. Using Fedora, I don't have that safety net, and I find I haven't a clue what memory to get! I've seen several recommendations in this thread, like the one below, but they all seem to be out of stock! To further confuse me, when I look the ML115 up on Crucial, the memory listed below isn't offered as being compatible! Can someone recommend memory that would be suitable, preferably, but not necessarily Crucial?
As far as the disks are concerned, I'm looking for guidance as to the maximum individual drive size and the maximum total storage that the ML115 will accept. I'd like to put in 2x 2Tb drives, again with the option to double this later. Anyone have any experience of drives that performed well or are to be avoided?

Im using crucial ram. see revious page...

Any chance of a part number?

Seems to have gone up since I bought it.

Crucial 4GB kit (2GBx2)240DIMM DDR2
In stock now
quicklinx: 5DTDWS
mfr#: CT2KIT25672AA80

Product Description
Crucial memory - 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR2

Storage Capacity
4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB )

Upgrade Type
Generic

Technology
DDR2 SDRAM

Form Factor
DIMM 240-pin

Memory Speed
800 MHz ( PC2-6400 )

Data Integrity Check
ECC

Latency Timings
CL6

Features
Unbuffered

Supply Voltage
1.8 V

Manufacturer Warranty
Limited lifetime warranty

Specifications
General

Storage Capacity
4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB )

Upgrade Type
Generic

Memory

Type
DRAM

Technology
DDR2 SDRAM

Form Factor
DIMM 240-pin

Module Height (inch)

Memory Speed
800 MHz ( PC2-6400 )

Latency Timings
CL6

Data Integrity Check
ECC

RAM Features
Unbuffered

Module Configuration
256 x 72

Supply Voltage
1.8 V

Expansion / Connectivity

Compatible Slots
2 x memory - DIMM 240-pin

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support
Limited lifetime warranty

Hope this helps, obviously I cant give you a link.

Which version is it a G1 or G5? :) as it may use different ram, I looked for a G1 and the price has doubled for the correct ECC memory,
It's the G5.
Yeah, the price of the ECC stuff has doubled..
Is the ECC necessary, I had the impression that a number of people were running without?
Seems to have gone up since I bought it.

Crucial 4GB kit (2GBx2)240DIMM DDR2
In stock now
quicklinx: 5DTDWS
mfr#: CT2KIT25672AA80

Hope this helps, obviously I cant give you a link.

Thanks, the info you gave was great! Funnily enough, although I see that the MFR# is a direct copy, Crucial doesn't seem to recognise it!!:)

Can you recommend a suitable non-ECC variant, if the G5 will run happily with it? This is not a mission critical system, just my home desktop!

Yes many (including me) run it on Non-ECC

The key is that the BIOS must be able to recognise the SPD settings, and run at 1.8v on those settings, becuase there are no adjustments in the BIOS

Yes many (including me) run it on Non-ECC

The key is that the BIOS must be able to recognise the SPD settings, and run at 1.8v on those settings, becuase there are no adjustments in the BIOS
Thanks, but I'm afraid I'm really out of my depth here!! Does the BIOS on the ML115 G5 perform as above, or does it have to be flashed to a suitable version number? It seems to currently be v018 05/26/2008.
Am I right in thinking that Crucial and Micron are the same manufacturer? Would memory sold as LN26211, be suitable?

Manufacturer: Micron
Pins: 240
Size: 2GB
CAS Latency: 6
Memory Type: DDR2
Memory Type (ECC): Non-ECC
Memory Type (R/U): Unbuffered
Memory Speed: PC2-6400 (800)

I bought 2 lots of the following from OCUK earlier in the year and it has worked without issue for over 6 months:

Goods Shipped:
£33.90 x 1 - Corsair XMS2 DHX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX Dual Channel (TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX)

(Memory price has gone up though so expect to pay more!)

I bought 2 lots of the following from OCUK earlier in the year and it has worked without issue for over 6 months:

Goods Shipped:
£33.90 x 1 - Corsair XMS2 DHX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX Dual Channel (TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX)

(Memory price has gone up though so expect to pay more!)
Looks like it has more than doubled since then :-(

That item doesn't appear to be available from OCUK, any more :-(

Can you tell if the following is same or equivalent? (£86.99 Inc VAT)

Manufacturer: Corsair
Pins: 240
Size: 4GB (2x2GB)
CAS Latency: 5-5-5-18
Memory Model: XMS2
Heat Sink: Yes
TwinX: Yes
Memory Type: DDR2
EPP: No
Memory Type (ECC): Non-ECC
DHX Technology: Yes
Memory Type (R/U): Unbuffered
XMP: No
Memory Speed: PC2-6400 (800)

Anyone know what PSU's this will take?
I'm dual booting between ESX and W7 as a gaming PC to same having 2!

I know that I will be limited buy the current PSU so would like to think about replacing it.

Thanks!! It is out of stock at OCUK. But I can get it directly from Crucial! Does this have to go in in pairs or can I add one to check that it works and then order another later?

Hi guys, I wonder is someone can help out a non-techie?

I've had the ML115 for over a year now and I'm still very happy with it, but I think it's due a Xmas upgrade! I'm looking to upgrade the memory and disks.
As far as the disks are concerned, I'm looking for guidance as to the maximum individual drive size and the maximum total storage that the ML115 will accept. I'd like to put in 2x 2Tb drives, again with the option to double this later. Anyone have any experience of drives that performed well or are to be avoided?

Anyone got any advice on the disks?

Anyone know what PSU's this will take?
I'm dual booting between ESX and W7 as a gaming PC to same having 2!

I know that I will be limited buy the current PSU so would like to think about replacing it.

I know that it's a slightly non-standard form factor...

I was having problems with it randomly rebooting/crashing which seemed worse with more HDDs so assumed it was a PSU issue. Bought a new ATX PSU which wouldnt line up with the mounting holes and was a few mm too big/small in some dimensions.

(Turns out it was a faulty raid card all along though not the PSU, so didn't matter in the end!)

I want to make my ML115 G5 a lot quieter. I want to change the PSU, CPU cooler and case fan.

The CPU cooler and case fans need to run at over 1000rpm, or the monitoring immediately shuts down the machine. It is very hard to find PWM fans that run at 1000rpm minimum. I would really just like to use the Zalman cooler and Nexus fans I already have, but they run too slow at their lowest speed.

Has anybody managed to change the shut down event fan speed range in the IPMI interface through SSH?

Back
Top Bottom