Opinions on HP ProLiant ML115 G5

yeah but what I mean is, do you guys think that 2008 will be worth the wait?
I've tried 2003 and feel its just lacking, and I doubt the boss will auth the spend without having the whole numbers
also those products are like £1xxx+ theres a 0% chance of me being able to buy them

Last edited:
Just lacking? In what sense?

The SBS software will be the most expensive bit of the whole setup. ESXi and Xen and both free for a single install and the ML110G5 with say 4GB ram and 1TB is storage is gonna be around the 250 mark.

How many employees are there in the company you could use Server 2008 web edition it just cant be used as a domain controller and has less concurrent conections

you can't use web edition because the licensing model is completely different. CALs are on a unauthenticated basis, meaning it will be no good for Exchange, F&P etc..

Also you have the added cost of buying Exchange when it is already included in SBS.

Stick with SBS, buy the server now eval both products and buy which ever fits the business when the time is right.

Certain suppliers are selling the ml 115 g5s bundled with server 2003 sbs for 298 + vat, I dont think you can get a copy of sbs for less than that on its own, even oem unless anyone knows better?

you can't use web edition because the licensing model is completely different. CALs are on a unauthenticated basis, meaning it will be no good for Exchange, F&P etc..

Also you have the added cost of buying Exchange when it is already included in SBS.

Stick with SBS, buy the server now eval both products and buy which ever fits the business when the time is right.

This is what you get for not totally understandind what you're going on about lol

Didn't realise SBS came with Exchange i'm a idiot dont listen to me!

Got mines yesterday, unfortunately the RAM I got (PC2-6400 Non ECC) does not work on it, so ordered some Kingston 2gb ECC modules. It has another 750gb drive, plan to add another few drives at some point when I need the space.

Put Windows 2008 Enterprise x64 on last night, had a scare as the first try to install failed, but it was because I downloaded the wrong image from MSDN. Used the HP Disk to isntall and was painless.

Surprised at how fast it runs even on 1gb. Primary use is for SharePoint sandbox, storage for my media and experimenting with AD, as well as any overnight processes I may need to leave running (running my main box overnight must take loads and loads of energy)

Last edited:
Got mines yesterday, unfortunately the RAM I got (PC2-6400 Non ECC) does not work on it, so ordered some Kingston 2gb ECC modules. It has another 750gb drive, plan to add another few drives at some point when I need the space.

Put Windows 2008 Enterprise x64 on last night, had a scare as the first try to install failed, but it was because I downloaded the wrong image from MSDN. Used the HP Disk to isntall and was painless.

Surprised at how fast it runs even on 1gb. Primary use is for SharePoint sandbox, storage for my media and experimenting with AD, as well as any overnight processes I may need to leave running (running my main box overnight must take loads and loads of energy)

Get more RAM and use it for ESXi

then you can install multiple versions of Svr 2008 etc

Get more RAM and use it for ESXi

then you can install multiple versions of Svr 2008 etc

I dont think I have a need yet at the moment, 4gb is more than enough for the uses I have in mind, I used to run similiar off a 2008 VM on my main box with no problems.

Might be something for the future though when I get 2x2gb modules and experiment more ;)

PS I notice you are using OCZ RAM fine in the machine, was there anything you needed to change to make it work? I updated the BIOS amd the best I could get was it would freeze at the white boot up screen.

Edit: I imagine it is because the RAM i got is 2.1V and the board only supports 1.8V?

Last edited:
I dont think I have a need yet at the moment, 4gb is more than enough for the uses I have in mind, I used to run similiar off a 2008 VM on my main box with no problems.

Might be something for the future though when I get 2x2gb modules and experiment more ;)

PS I notice you are using OCZ RAM fine in the machine, was there anything you needed to change to make it work? I updated the BIOS amd the best I could get was it would freeze at the white boot up screen.

Edit: I imagine it is because the RAM i got is 2.1V and the board only supports 1.8V?

Did not have to do anything to make the OCZ work it just worked straight out of the box.

Here's the link to stuff i've got from OcUK
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...inum Low Latency XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P8008GQ)

Hmm, I got 1gb modules. I ordered ECC ones anyway that are "guaranteed" to work so Ill use them, the other modules can go in another PC :)

Just downloaded SharePoint 2007 x64/Exchange 2007 x64 from MSDN :)

Last edited:
Is there much performance difference between the ML 110 G5 and the 115 G5?

As i have been thinking about ordering one for home to mess about on. Also how quite is it? as i am gonna be putting it in the loaf.

Andy

both are really loud on start up but quiet after. The M110 G5 has a higher default spec with 1GB ram and a 250GB drive. The 115 G5 has a 16x PCI-E slot compared to running at 8x in the 110. The 115 supports RAID5 the 110 only does 0,1 and JBOB.

both are really loud on start up but quiet after. The M110 G5 has a higher default spec with 1GB ram and a 250GB drive. The 115 G5 has a 16x PCI-E slot compared to running at 8x in the 110. The 115 supports RAID5 the 110 only does 0,1 and JBOB.

So the 115 G5 would be the one to go for then :)

and just load it up with RAM and HDDs

Thank You.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom