Origin in genuine consumer positive over Steam

Associate
I can see many flaws already in this system on paper and first read it seems great.

First flaw you are ONLY allowed to launch the game once. Launch it more than once and this system is VOID. SO say you get a buggy release game that you launch it crashes. You try about ten times to get the game going finally after tweaking the exe and ini the game loads, you fire it up decide you dont like it.

Contact EA games they come back sorry Mr/Mrs .... but we can see you fired up the game 10 times no refund. EA customer support is manned by Indians to deal with those idiots I'd want a free game.

EA have been the virus of this scene for over a decade. Its going to take more than a few cheap humble bundle games and a "we will give you your money back promise". < Shouldn't that be the case anyway.

For me to forgive what they have done.

Soldato
Not read into it much, but I would imagine they have something on records saying if you have completed it or not. Otherwise you could easily buy any game, complete it and get a full refund.

And I'm sorry, but I don't trust EA/Origin as far as I can throw them. So taking this 'generous' act with a pinch of salt.

Soldato
Its a great idea but itll get abused so much if the refund window is 7 days but it did say whichever happens soonest so i imagine most cases would be 24 hours, even 24 hours would let a lot of new games be completed and then refunded.
Its going to have to be within an hour or so of first launching the game (not starting the download) for this to stick around.

Its a good sign though that EA are trying to take steps to improve things.

Caporegime
I can see many flaws already in this system on paper and first read it seems great..

well they will likely alter it over time what it really needs is you buy the game for the full price
and then in origin you get 2 options

play as a time limited demo limited to say 1 hour.
if after 1 hour you don't want the game you simply right click > refund
if after 1 hour you want to continue you playing you simply right click > unlock full game

it's something steam could do as well but I bet the indie devs would hate it because most indie games I buy I don't even play for an hour

Soldato
Good job from EA. Can see a lot of people abusing it and trying to complete single player missions then asking for a refund but I'd expect that to settle down. Not that I tend to use Origin cos of their stupid prices anyway!

Associate
Personally I'd like to see the following system implemented on all digital platforms:

Allow x number of refundable games per day/week.
Games owned for more than 7 days not eligible.

<1 hour played = full refund
<3 hours played = 50% refund
<6 hours played = 25% refund

Fair to both you and the developers.

Soldato
Surprisingly good.

I just downloaded origin again yesterday after many months and it does seem to be slightly improved in features too.

Hopefully they continue in this way.

Soldato
Obviously EA think that whatever they lose out from people abusing the system will be more than cancelled out by those that see it as a benefit over their competitors. Steam is the incumbent, and if EA want to compete, they will have to offer something that Steam doesn't.

I mean, who is really going to buy a game and then hammer through it in 24 hours only to demand a refund? And how many times do you think you'll get away with repeating that over and over?

Associate
I remember asking for a refund from Steam a while back (I think it was Alien vs predator). They said that I played the game (1 hour) for too long to have a refund. This is still a good thing from Origin though.

Soldato
To be honest, although I'm sometimes a little disappointed in a game, as long as I read a few reviews I don't tend to end up with anything so bad that I'd want a refund.

Maybe one thing publishers need to do is stop preventing reviews before release, this is becoming more common and makes it hard to pre-order with confidence.

Associate
This is a really good move. There is lack a final product representative demos out there and I have bought a few stinkers in my time that I would have refunded within 24 hours. Digital marketplaces need to embrace the consumer far more than look after their own selfish endeavors. Look after your customers and they will buy from you again. This added value from Origin is a good thing and sets them apart from competitors. The percentage of consumers that would return a game within 24 hours is marginal and it would encourage people to try more games than they would have done previously as there is no fear of losing money on a bad game. You might end up really liking a game that you wouldn't have considered before.

Back
Top Bottom