Origin in genuine consumer positive over Steam

If Ea were true to their word 'we are no longer making single player games'

There's a sense and a reasoning to offering up Ea/partner title games, most if not all there recent games have either been social feature heavy or flatout multi.

The retention rate for multiplayer purchased tittles is ten fold over single players that get played and ditched.

Nothing more than lowering the barrier to entry in a way, or atleast enticing you to come the door in to their marketplace, in to what all their games are about these days anyway.

Pretty good assuming you don't have to jump through too many hoops to get a refund. I wonder if you get store credit instead of a proper refund?

Just need to make sure you take care on timings i.e. only buy a game if you can dedicate a solid block of time to it within a 24hr period sometime in the next 7 days, and only launch it for the first time at the beginning of that block of time (e.g. line up a mammoth session when you've got nothing else on).

For some games, hopefully you'll be able to complete them within the 24hr period and then claim the refund.

Wonder if it will be possible to abuse this and refund games multiple times?

Let me get one thing straight, i do not like Origin and ive had Steam since 2006 but I think this is good, certainly better than Steams alternative. Atleast if you buy agame and its broken then you can get a refund. Look at how bad MK9 was with its broken MP and Steam are very reluctant to give a refund even though they know the game is broken. My respect for Steam has gone down tbh and i will not be buying as much on here as i used too.

Let me get one thing straight, i do not like Origin and ive had Steam since 2006 but I think this is good, certainly better than Steams alternative. Atleast if you buy agame and its broken then you can get a refund. Look at how bad MK9 was with its broken MP and Steam are very reluctant to give a refund even though they know the game is broken. My respect for Steam has gone down tbh and i will not be buying as much on here as i used too.

You've missed the point completely...

Origin are offering to refund their (EA) games, so why would you expect steam to do it on anything but valve games..

They didn't release MK9, they just sold it.. Therefore the refund needs to come from the developer not the distributer..

Steam can give refunds but i assume it comes at the disgresion of the games developer not steam themselves.

Origin are offering to refund their (EA) games, so why would you expect steam to do it on anything but valve games..

They didn't release MK9, they just sold it.. Therefore the refund needs to come from the developer not the distributer..

Steam can give refunds but i assume it comes at the disgresion of the games developer not steam themselves.

In consumer law, the distributor is responsible for handling a refund or replacement, not the developer. This applies to non digital products, but I can't see any reason why it should differ for digital.

xYFYKfe.png

Valve is truly well known for their excellent customer support, as always. :p

Hah! You obviously haven't experienced EA's customer service! Did you have an issue with Arma 2 OA? It ran fine for me on release.

Whereas the following from EA, denying the customer a refund on a faulty product and then threatening to ban their account if they choose to dispute it:

lAnTGEM.jpg.png

I'm still a little confused as to why people are finding this to be such good news. Maybe if they were offering the ability to trade in games and swap with friends, that would be excellent. But just the ability to return a game within a small time frame?

Assuming the game isn't faulty (and didn't make false claims about game features *cough* War Z), and you are returning it because you didn't like it, then you should have performed some adequate research beforehand.

You don't go and buy a phone, or a PC, or a car without first performing some research, reading/watching reviews, asking people what they think after using it. Why should a game be any different? You're spending your own hard earned cash, so you should be informed before making a purchase.

Blazin

Im not missing anything.....Steam / Valve is worth Billions of Dollars, if they are going to sell other peoples games on there distribution platform then they should do quality assurance checks before selling them. If your bought hardware for your computer like a gpu or cpu and it was broken would you be happy with it?

No you would not so why should it be the same for broken games like MK9 that have no sign of a patch fix either for the broken MP. Advertising games that have MP working and they dont actually work is false advertising and robbery. They know certain games are broken and they dont refund you for them even if you have 0 hours of play on them.

Its the same principle broken hardware or broken games, if they do not work as advertised then its either replaced fully working or full refund.

I will be purchasing more games on Origin as of know, **** steam, as all they do is take your money and run.

Im not missing anything.....Steam / Valve is worth Billions of Dollars, if they are going to sell other peoples games on there distribution platform then they should do quality assurance checks before selling them. If your bought hardware for your computer like a gpu or cpu and it was broken would you be happy with it?

No you would not so why should it be the same for broken games like MK9 that have no sign of a patch fix either for the broken MP. Advertising games that have MP working and they dont actually work is false advertising and robbery. They know certain games are broken and they dont refund you for them even if you have 0 hours of play on them.

I will be purchasing more games on Origin as of know, **** steam, as all they do is take your money and run.

Sorry but you are missing something. The point is that EA are only doing this for their own games, the example you gave was for a non valve game, so this situation would be no different with origin even with their new policy.

I'm not disagreeing that such broken games should be refunded, but origin have not solved this problem for you, and as per the examples given they are arses when it comes to asking for refunds.

The thing with customer support is that you need to take it by a case by case basis.
Some people have absolutely amazing stories of getting full refunds, or free games and discount codes and it's not just games, anything CS related in life.

But then you get people like me, who've been so jaded by bad service after bad service I simple cannot be bothered anymore. I'm always nice to start with and relatively well spoken and have all the information required at hand and such.

But they all mostly end up with cases like these, a few weeks ago I contacted corsair support and they never got back to me, they just kept closing my case for reasons unknown, I tried whatever seemed logical to get in touch with a human being to answer but they just do not.

So my overall impression with most, if not all customer service is absolutely horrid.
To the point I feel like mentioning ocuk is the one, sole exclusion of this and I wish more companies were like it :(

Whatever people think EA/Origin are pushing here, it's absolutely not going to work like you think. Just wait till it backfires on them, all talk and no show.

Its the same principle broken hardware or broken games, if they do not work as advertised then its either replaced fully working or full refund.

Yes you are missing many things. I can see you are angry and frustrated, but really? Ditching Steam for Origin? Leaving thousands of amazing games, for a few games that EA have gutted and replaced with in-game purchases, pay-to-win models, and day one DLC?

And no, Steam doesn't take your money and run. They offer a medium through which small and big time developers can release their games. What do Origin offer?

That's what I thought :)

So my overall impression with most, if not all customer service is absolutely horrid.
To the point I feel like mentioning ocuk is the one, sole exclusion of this and I wish more companies were like it :(

Whatever people think EA/Origin are pushing here, it's absolutely not going to work like you think. Just wait till it backfires on them, all talk and no show.

+1, although I would say Logitech is one of the best for customer service as well :)

Blazin

Last edited:
Found the terms and conditions. Some of the main ones:

● If you request a refund for a product that is part of a bundle or a product that comes with bonus content, your refund under this policy may include the entire bundle of products/content, and your access to all included products/content will be revoked. Please note that dual platform products (such as one product that, when purchased, is playable on both PC and Mac platforms) will be treated as bundled content. Before you submit your refund request for bundled products/content, you will be able to see an itemized list of content that must be canceled/refunded together. You may then complete the refund request and cancel all the associated content or you may withdraw your request.

● In rare instances, refunds may not be supported for products purchased during special Origin promotions. The promotional details will explicitly state if refunds are unsupported.

Refunds may not be supported where Electronic Arts detects fraud or abuse of the refund process.

Electronic Arts reserves the right to revise the Great Game Guarantee Policy at any time in its sole discretion. Any revisions to the Policy will be effective immediately for all subsequent purchases.

The rest are here: https://www.origin.com/en-gb/great-game-guarantee-terms

Basically, all they have to do is call fraud on your claim, and they can dismiss it ;)

Blazin

Back
Top Bottom