Palworld: Pokémon with guns

Anyone recommend a decent server host ? Shockbyte has been appalling - constant crashing etc. Going to get a refund
Host your own one if you have the spare hardware. I have spin up my own one on an Intel NUC with 16GB RAM and it seems fine. It’s pretty easy to set up and I’m not that savvy with command lines and all that

6JuFypLh.png

Roadmap for Early Access released.

This is the kind of game that I could never play, purely because of how embarrassed I'd be if anyone saw me playing it ;)

I do find it crazy how many adults are seriously into Pokemon (and yeah, this is such a blatant rip-off of that!)

6JuFypLh.png

Roadmap for Early Access released.
I wish they would improve Pal intelligence and give us something like Rimworld where you can prioritise job importance and also be able to set what resources go to which container, the other stuff sounds good though especially building, it's okay but it could be better with more options to position objects and the ability to simply move objects that are already built without having to delete them and rebuild

This is the kind of game that I could never play, purely because of how embarrassed I'd be if anyone saw me playing it ;)

I do find it crazy how many adults are seriously into Pokemon (and yeah, this is such a blatant rip-off of that!)
Pokémon was the childhood for a lot of these adults, makes sense it would be those very same people still like it today.

Inquiries Regarding Other Companies’ Games

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

The Pokémon Company

So, it will be officially investigated. Let's see how this pans out and if Palworld is taken off sale at some point.

So, it will be officially investigated. Let's see how this pans out and if Palworld is taken off sale at some point.
Honestly hope nothing comes of it; if anything it's advertising for Pokemon and the overall vibe of the game is very different.

If they feel threatened by it then they should try innovating a bit instead of holding the IP hostage with rubbish reskins.

Honestly hope nothing comes of it; if anything it's advertising for Pokemon and the overall vibe of the game is very different.

If they feel threatened by it then they should try innovating a bit instead of holding the IP hostage with rubbish reskins.
That's a completely different point though. The issue here, if there is one, is on the models of the Pokémon/ Pals, and whether Palworld has copied them or substantial elements thereof. If they have, it's copyright infringement, and completely right that they'd have to take the game off the market until they remove the infringing models, or pay a licence fee to Nintendo / TPC for use of those models.

The "overall vibe of the game" would be unaffected by that, and is pretty much unprotectable - I'd be amazed if Nintendo did anything in relation to that. Any complaints they have will be with specific models, designs, and any other game elements copied from Pokémon.

Last edited:
That's a completely different point though. The issue here, if there is one, is on the models of the Pokémon/ Pals, and whether Palworld has copied them or substantial elements thereof. If they have, it's copyright infringement, and completely right that they'd have to take the game off the market until they remove the infringing models, or pay a licence fee to Nintendo / TPC for use of those models.

The "overall vibe of the game" would be unaffected by that, and is pretty much unprotectable - I'd be amazed if Nintendo did anything in relation to that. Any complaints they have will be with specific models, designs, and any other game elements copied from Pokémon.
Yea, I wonder how much the IP actually protects. Some things do look similar, but just because 2 things have plants on their heads, would that come into legal question? Not that that's the only thing that you could draw similarities from.

It would be weird if there were any significant ruling as you'd assume the company did due diligence and are working around the necessary loopholes, otherwise their sales will mean nothing if they're sued into the ground.

Think they made that statement to try and stop the deluge of emails/tweets/DMs that they are getting from the Pokemon fanatics about this game.

Yea, I wonder how much the IP actually protects. Some things do look similar, but just because 2 things have plants on their heads, would that come into legal question? Not that that's the only thing that you could draw similarities from.

It would be weird if there were any significant ruling as you'd assume the company did due diligence and are working around the necessary loopholes, otherwise their sales will mean nothing if they're sued into the ground.

Copyright protects against unauthorised parties copying all or a substantial part of the original. "Substantial" is qualitative, not quantitative (i.e. the analysis is not "does this copy more than 50%?", but "does it copy a recognisable or important part of the original?"). In the UK (I'm not sure about other territories), copying can be presumed where there is similarity between the alleged copy and the original, and it can be shown that the defendant had access to the original (clearly in this instance they did have access - everyone has played Pokemon), but that presumption can be rebutted with evidence of the defendant's original creation process. If litigation were to proceed, any copying ought to come out in the disclosure process.

I'm not sure if "but they did it first" will stand up as a legal defence, even if it might be a moral one :p
Not specifically, although it raises an interesting point. There could be an argument that Nintendo's characters are insufficiently original to attract copyright protection in the first place (and if they don't attract copyright protection there can obviously be no infringement). I think this is a pretty weak argument though - the threshold for originality is very low, and I think it's likely that Nintendo's characters are sufficiently original over and above the Dragon Quest ones to attract copyright protection.

Last edited:
Incidentally, weren't Nintendo involved in the early Dragon Quest Monsters games? That wouldn't necessarily absolve them of any copying alleged to have taken place in Pokemon, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of agreement in place preventing those parties from kicking up a fuss against each other.

Played for just under 4 hours so far, and really am looking forward to getting in tomorrow night, getting dinner sorted and then playing this with a beer for a few hours.
Did my first dungeon and boss, and just liking how progression is working at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom