• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC vs Console, has high GPU prices played a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
F1 2021 does but the main reason more games don't is because Sony does not support 1440p just 1080 and 4k. Far more on the Xbox series X do as that has support. It will be coming soon enough to the Ps5.

https://gamingbolt.com/f1-2021-will-run-at-4k-60-fps-or-1440p-120-fps-on-ps5-and-xbox-series-x
So if Sony doesn't support it how does F1 2021 run at 1440p 120fps?

No the reason no other game does it(maybe the Dirt game does it too) and has to go down to 1080p for 120fps is because the performance is just not there. Even the AMD 6700XT can get 120fps at 1440p in F1 2021. It's a last gen looking racing game that hasn't received any next gen graphics features yet compared to forza horizon 5 for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
So if Sony doesn't support how does F1 2021 run at 1440p 120fps?

No the reason no other game does it and has to go down to 1080p for 120fps is because the performance is just no there.

When i say don't support it i mean if you plug it into a 1440p monitor you will get 1080p of 4k upscaled. Look at the list above for series x its down to Sony. F1 supports it as the game forces it. In warzone i get 120fps but at 1080p where as series x has 4k 120fps. It's a bit like your pc being connected to a 1080p screen as you can't run the game at 1440p or 4k. Once Sony release support for 1440p screens will be loads of games to run at 1440p 120fps. The hardware is capable but the driver is not there to let it do it as Sony still think everyone games on 1080p and 4k Tv's.

Soldato
You think that's the console or the developer to blame? Listen to yourself man.
Of course it's the developer. It's just some people are trying to pass this notion that console games are problem free, run perfectly and are magically optimized. When in fact they are currently equivalent to a mid range pc (due to be low end in 2022) and face similar problems which include crashes, restarts and poor optimization.

The main difference is that with PC gaming you can normally find a fix to many problems while with consoles you're at the mercy of a patch that might never arrive to fix every single problem.

Associate
There is not a single ps5 game at 1440p 120fps or 4k 60 fps. Yes we can directly compare next gen consoles to PCs this time due to their hardware and so far there hasn't been a game where consoles have outperformed a similarly specced PC.

Anyway, I'm one of the few people in this thread that made an on-topic post : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...s-played-a-part.18940511/page-3#post-35206684 before the usual bitter pc gamers that can't get a graphics card and console fanboys turned it into a pc vs next gen consoles thread.

4k/60 on consoles?

- Nioh collection
-Dirt
-Guilty Gear strive
-Rainbow six Siege
-Battlefield 2042
-Diablo 2 Remaster
-Call of duty Cold war
-Scarlet nexus
-Mortal Kombat 11
-Hades
-Devil may cry V SE
-Skyrim
-Tony hawk's Proskater 1+2
-Ghost of Tsushima
-Resident evil 8.

If you gonna be calling people fanboys at least get your facts right.
PS-about console games outperforming pcs with a similar specs all you had to do was check games like COD cold war, is performing roughly on pair with a 3070 for reference.

V F

V F

Soldato
Of course it's the developer. It's just some people are trying to pass this notion that console games are problem free, run perfectly and are magically optimized. When in fact they are currently equivalent to a mid range pc (due to be low end in 2022) and face similar problems which include crashes, restarts and poor optimization.

The main difference is that with PC gaming you can normally find a fix to many problems while with consoles you're at the mercy of a patch that might never arrive to fix every single problem.

The problem is with most console developers, once they get more performance they crank the visuals. Even if a console could manage to get an AMD 5950X and a 3090 inside of it, the developers would still lock it to 30 or 60fps and crank the graphic fidelity to the max and beyond.

Permabanned
4k/60 on consoles?

- Nioh collection
-Dirt
-Guilty Gear strive
-Rainbow six Siege
-Battlefield 2042
-Diablo 2 Remaster
-Call of duty Cold war
-Scarlet nexus
-Mortal Kombat 11
-Hades
-Devil may cry V SE
-Skyrim
-Ghost of Tsushima
-Resident evil 8.

PS-about console games outperforming pcs with a similar specs all you had to do was check games like COD cold war, is performing roughly on pair with a 3070 for reference.

Some items on the list are a nonsense if comparing to PC.
RE8 does not run 4K@60 fps Ray Tracing mode on PS5:cry:. It runs at 4K@30 to 45fps Ray Tracing mode. When on PC you can get 4K@90fps plus, max settings , Ultra Ray Tracing.

When you compare RE8 PS5 with PC at 4K , you can see the lower quality on PS5 , so the console version it's not even max settings either, or what ever they have reduced to get it running at 4K.

Right from release of consoles, there have been rumblings about the purported “inability” to run games at native4K resolution. Even rumors and intel from Capcom for a good few months, “reported” that devs were struggling to get their games to run in 4K on the PS5 console. “You'll see a lot of fake 4K,” they claimed.

That doesn't matter to some gamers, but PC is more powerful than the PS5 that's just a lost argument.

This does not mean PS5 does not have great looking games and will definitely have great looking games in future, but the console 4K@60 numbers the settings are almost always reduced compared to PC versions, and that's to be expected with inferior hardware.

PS5 games will look great even if settings are dialled down and that's what matters at least to most, but PC is another beast. That's why it's more expensive anyway.

I don't even know why the PS5 put 8K on the box of the console, that's must be another gimmick:cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Guy said there was not a single 4k/60 game on consoles, I simply proved him wrong.

Didn't see anyone arguing about pc not having better specs yet you keep rambling about it.

Permabanned
by the time CAPCOM fixed their stuttery, horrible DRM implementation on PC, PS5 users already finished the game and moved on to an another game while most PC users would still tinker with settings longer than they would originally play the game to get optimal frames/settings/tweaks. the game still is mostly a stutter fest due to DENUVO DRM, its just that people hate to admit some facts. e

and RT mod mostly runs at a locked, consistent 60 fps on PS5/xsx. even series s gets a nice 1440p rt mode with 35-45 fps. imagine you would need a rtx 2060 to match it (which by itself as of now is sold for 450+ dollar in scalp market)

once devs feel more comfortable with these machines and code only nextgen games tailored for specific nextgen console hardware and features, things will even improve further. this is just a stratch.

V F

V F

Soldato
by the time CAPCOM fixed their stuttery, horrible DRM implementation on PC, PS5 users already finished the game and moved on to an another game while most PC users would still tinker with settings longer than they would originally play the game to get optimal frames/settings/tweaks. the game still is mostly a stutter fest due to DENUVO DRM, its just that people hate to admit some facts. e

Which reminds me of Horizon Zero Dawn for PC. It had a rough launch but it was more or less flawless on the PS4 back in 2017. I don't remember running into anything annoying with it back on launch day.

Permabanned
Which reminds me of Horizon Zero Dawn for PC. It had a rough launch but it was more or less flawless on the PS4 back in 2017. I don't remember running into anything annoying with it back on launch day.
yes and the framerate cap they introduced was amazingly smooth and consistent. it never felt like actual 30 fps you would get on PC. it ran like a dream, mostly. sometimes these devs adjust and tweak so much that even 30 fps feels very solid. im not saying its optimal, but the 30-40 fps you get on PC is not equal to the 30 40 fps you get on consoles. take the marvel's spiderman for example, i'm pretty sure most of the "pc master race" mindset people here would fail to say spiderman ran at 30 fps. even my friend was shocked when I told it was 30 fps, he couldn't believe it. of course same applies to superior 60 fps lock they have. pc users play with weird and janky frametimes with weird %1 lows unproportional to their average FPS. say they get 100 fps average, but their %1 lows will never be tight and consistent. even the most powerful hardware will push 70-80 fps minimums if they're getting 100 fps average, so the experience is not smooth as you would get with a tight 100 fps framelimit (in which you would need an headroom that would push you to 120s), which they can't achieve, because they're mostly gpu bound. im talking about the userr who says they're getting 90 fps rt ultra. that is with uncapped framerate and uncapped hardware. so it will get drops below 90 fps, since it does not have a headroom above 90 fps. ps5 / xsx leave a lot of headroom above 60 fps (i'd say 75-90 fps) to get a consistent and smooth locked 60 fps overall. in the end, they push %1 lows like 58-59. even locking to 60 fps on a PC game will usually produce %1 lows such as 50-55 due to windows being an unoptimized bloat ridden OS that is not optimized and focused for gaming, and of course, drivers and APIs are less efficient to provide console-level superior smooth frametimes

some of the people here would get mad if they ever discover special k. he proved that rivatuner, nvcp and ingame limiters produce horrible %1 lows even at 60 fps caps. only his own sophisticated framecap does a good job at pushing consistently tight %1 lows, which is a hassle to setup by itself. then again, all console games use that kind of sophisticated super tuned precise frame limiters to provide the best optimal gameplay for their users. their input lags are also superior compared to PC versions.

i have a friend who played 1000 hrs of star wars batllefront 2 on ps4 (the game runs on a locked consistent 60 fps with that hardware. tough to believe? go check it out. its also a looker, with lots of effect crammed into it). he once tried the same game on gtx 1650 super, and he came to me "dude, this PC version has weird input lag I've never seen or noticed on PS4". it was caused by the coveted %99 gpu usage "oh so" pc master race people like to have. we tried to adjust settings to get a locked 60 fps without %99 gpu usage (which proved to be a hassle all by itself) and he said its improveed, but it was still nowhere near the experience he got with console. he tried the PC version for 30 hours, and was disgusted by the additional input lag he experienced over his ps4. in the end, it was the VSYNC implementation on the PC that was the culprit, it just added so much input lag. we removed VSYNC and he said "oh its so good now", then "oh its all tears now :(" i asked him if he saw them tears with a ps4, which to he replied "no". so it was clear that the VSYNC+ frame limiter they used for ps4 version was vastly superior to their PC implementaiton. he also tried witcher 3, and experienced the exact same thing. i urged him to try couple more games, and most of them were disappointing. i told him about VRR and stuff, but he didn'T have a VRR screen. then again, he should not need a VRR to screen to match a ps4's input latency in battlefront 2, yet he did so. because devs just botch all the console ports and do a whack job. this is not a example to portray PC platform as a bad thing, this is just an example to portray that if you don't tick some specific boxes, you get inferior experience even if you have stronger, more capable hardware.

there are a lot of stuff optimized by devs on consoles that are not tweaked on PC unless you went out and search for it (special k, buffer reduction nvapi reflex features for example). you're just getting an inferior experience compared to consoles without knowing anything about it all. in the end though, ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest V sync always add input lag, it's stupidly noticeable on battlefield games as well, think it's even more noticeable on frostbite engine games overall. Trying to play any battlefield game with v sync @60 fps feels as if you are playing underwater.

Permabanned

and RT mod mostly runs at a locked, consistent 60 fps on PS5/xsx. even series s gets a nice 1440p rt mode with 35-45 fps. imagine you would need a rtx 2060 to match it (which by itself as of now is sold for 450+ dollar in scalp market)......

Some people never learn, we have said PS5 and XBOX dial down settings and use checkerboard 4K when PC is not using that for the compared game, then the console puts it out as 4K@60 so console owners are happy. Consoles are already struggling with 4K and that's understandable considering the inferior hardware.

Have you even played RE8 on PC @ 4K Ray Tracing Ultra and then Played it in PS5/XBOX? There is no DLSS or even worse checkerboard option on the PC version.

Not saying that RE8 looks bad on any console or PC. But it looks as if these games come to PC as bad console ports anyway.

4k/60 on consoles?

- Nioh collection
-Dirt
-Guilty Gear strive
-Rainbow six Siege
-Battlefield 2042
-Diablo 2 Remaster
-Call of duty Cold war
-Scarlet nexus
-Mortal Kombat 11
-Hades
-Devil may cry V SE
-Skyrim
-Ghost of Tsushima
-Resident evil 8.

A good 3070 PC build should be able to run any of those games at 4K@60fps. I could run Nioh 4k@60 on a GTX1080 with max settings, no checkerbox.

Sure, the 3070 PC would be more expensive than a console but, that 3070 PC can do tons more than a PS5 so it is realistic for it to be more expensive. The similar specs argument is void, because a PC is going to be more expensive and consoles use different architecture than a PC.

I don't understand why that's so hard to understand. A 3070 PC is not just a gaming console, it can do more hence the higher price tag. Some even go as far as to get money back on their PCs, by using it for work, mining or whatever so those PC owners will say that a PC is even better value than a console.

Last edited:
Permabanned
they will say so, if they managed to find the so called 3060ti/3070 for the mythical 400/500 dollar MSRP prices

with nextgen lovelace going 16 gb, the prices will go even further up. and it is clear that 8 gb is not cutting it

Associate
Sure, the 3070 PC would be more expensive than a console but, that 3070 PC can do tons more than a PS5 so it is realistic for it to be more expensive.
That's the worst logic I've ever seen as to why we should be comparing a £360-£450 console to a £1250+ (at MSRP) gaming PC :cry:. Ideally you would want a dedicated gaming machine anyway, if you have any heavy tasks running you wouldn't want to pause or stop them in order to game. Plus who would want to run games with invasive kernel level spyware disguised as anti-cheat on their main PC, seems like a massive security risk.

Soldato
they will say so, if they managed to find the so called 3060ti/3070 for the mythical 400/500 dollar MSRP prices

with nextgen lovelace going 16 gb, the prices will go even further up. and it is clear that 8 gb is not cutting it

Nah I've got a 3070fe and 5600x pc and I think my xbox was better value for money. Regardless of the fact that I can do more on my pc.

I've had pcs for 20 odd years and always had mid-high end gpus.

I just like games and I don't let the whole performance thing make me feel as passionate as some people here.

A "gamer" should just enjoy games regardless of platform in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom