• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC vs Console, has high GPU prices played a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
I still keep a gaming PC because consoles still have laughable performance in many games, which I struggle to overlook - for example the latest call of duty game having 2007 graphics when in 120fps mode - or a game I really want to play (Elden ring) sitting at 40fps on the ps5 and frametime spikes galore. Power to those who can live with that, but I can't unfortunately

V F

V F

Soldato
I still keep a gaming PC because consoles still have laughable performance in many games, which I struggle to overlook - for example the latest call of duty game having 2007 graphics when in 120fps mode - or a game I really want to play (Elden ring) sitting at 40fps on the ps5 and frametime spikes galore. Power to those who can live with that, but I can't unfortunately

Which actually looks very interesting and promising.

Associate
yes of course it has.

whilst you have a % of PC gamers in the aging population with potentially higher disposable income, and younger gamers with choices before they have dependences ultimately that market is shrinking

its really not ok for the current situation and I am for one going to be reporting all evolved to the UK Competition & Markets Authority for investigation and whilst you might joke about the effectiveness from such things I would say:
- What are you doing to help
- UK regulators speak with other regulators around the world
- Consumers have been ripped off, fact
- exploiting a dominant market position is in fact illegal, it not simply 'supply vs demand' or any other PR BS coming from vendors its deliberate manipulation for profit

Associate

Elden ring has a 60fps mode (1620p on average on that mode)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
by the time CAPCOM fixed their stuttery, horrible DRM implementation on PC, PS5 users already finished the game and moved on to an another game while most PC users would still tinker with settings longer than they would originally play the game to get optimal frames/settings/tweaks. the game still is mostly a stutter fest due to DENUVO DRM, its just that people hate to admit some facts. e

and RT mod mostly runs at a locked, consistent 60 fps on PS5/xsx. even series s gets a nice 1440p rt mode with 35-45 fps. imagine you would need a rtx 2060 to match it (which by itself as of now is sold for 450+ dollar in scalp market)

once devs feel more comfortable with these machines and code only nextgen games tailored for specific nextgen console hardware and features, things will even improve further. this is just a stratch.
I completed it on release on Steam. Only problem I had was the boss women at the start where frames would dip as they turned into bats. Was not a huge deal and did not get in the way of me enjoying the game as I recall.

Soldato
At the start of this crazy situation. I first found that the PS5s were Scalped the most, costing £750 , so I picked up a 3080 AIB for £690 or so (near enough msrp). Then scalping got worse as Nvidia and AIBs joined in , so prices are crazy.

Both the PS5 and PC are scalped, but you post as if PS5s are not scalped. £600 for a digital PS5, that's madness!

Also there is no retailer in the UK that currently has a PS5 for sale online at msrp. You'd have to get a PS5 in a drop at msrp.

Unfortunately, consoles were are the front of the scalping. Then GPUs followed as they also wanted in.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cc...-1-million-profit-flipping-next-gen-consoles/

I didn't say consoles weren't subject to scalping, I said that consoles are available at their intended retail price whereas GPUs seemingly aren't. The prices of PS5s on eBay don't matter a jot to me because a) I got one on launch day and b) if I wanted another I'd be able to get one for it's intended price. The situation with GPUs is far worse, at least from the perspective I gave earlier.

Soldato
Learnt my lesson, I move to console and then leave again. Left console forever now.

Why not enjoy both sides. The ps5 is a much better console than ps4 or pro. Its a much better balance with cpu, gpu and hard drive with nothing really holding anything back. i am really looking forward to see what Sony studio's can bring to the table. Best bit is mouse and keyboard has full support in games where i would use them. You get all the no nonsense console support with the majority of pc usability and it's only £450. Imo it's a no brainer to have. Honestly the most impressive console release for a long while to me which is why they can't make them fast enough. If supply was no issue it would be the fastest selling console ever.

Soldato
I just feel most games I play are on the PC, and I can turn my PC on and control it with the xbox controller straight from login. So a console is just an extra box.

And I can't afford a console because the 3080ti cost me an arm and a leg :o

I will at some point probably have a PS5, in a few years

Soldato
I just feel most games I play are on the PC, and I can turn my PC on and control it with the xbox controller straight from login. So a console is just an extra box.

And I can't afford a console because the 3080ti cost me an arm and a leg :o

I will at some point probably have a PS5, in a few years

Fair play mate.

V F

V F

Soldato
Why not enjoy both sides. The ps5 is a much better console than ps4 or pro. Its a much better balance with cpu, gpu and hard drive with nothing really holding anything back. i am really looking forward to see what Sony studio's can bring to the table. Best bit is mouse and keyboard has full support in games where i would use them. You get all the no nonsense console support with the majority of pc usability and it's only £450. Imo it's a no brainer to have. Honestly the most impressive console release for a long while to me which is why they can't make them fast enough. If supply was no issue it would be the fastest selling console ever.

The new God of War I think will be mind blowing on the PS5.

Permabanned

+Console support is usually good
+Exclusive games usually look good, so the exclusives tempt you in to buy a new console
+It is just a gaming console so just play games
+Good for 1080p@60fpsand less intense 4K games

-A new console that's been out for 1 year, and very few PS5 game exclusives (better off with an XBOX as they are easier to get)
-Already struggling at 4K@60fps, with Ray Tracing and 8K badge is a gimmik
-PS5 is scalped like crazy
-PS5 has been selling so fast because of scalpers and FOMO.
-You might get one for £450 msrp if you are lucky and look at drops and all that nonsense as they sell out in minutes due to scalpers
-Games are very expensive, you can spend much on games over the year. Maybe expect to spend £500-£1000 or more depends on how many games you buy.

So I don't think anyone would be missing out if you wanted a PS5 and have not got one as playing Spideman Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank for one year is hardly Next Gen.

Soldato
I chose PC gaming for specific reasons

1. Keyboard/mouse suopport in games
2. Moddable games
3. Great VR support
4. Free multiplayer gaming without a rip-off subscription

A console cant do the above so I dont care how cheap they get. Consoles could be given away free and I'd still want a PC as well.

To those who switch due to cost: why choose PC gaming in the first place? I dont understand people suddenly switching due to cost? Surely they chose PC gaming because it could do something that a console cant? and still cant?

Interestingly I seen a video where a jailbroken PS4 had a cheat engine type APP, fully moddable games and a debug menu.

If only Sony opened the system up more, consoles could be much more enticing, but the reality is we can now only back up saves to the cloud, and a locked down system. Annoying that it could be so much better.

Soldato
I'll address some of your predictable comments.

+Console support is usually good
+Exclusive games usually look good, so the exclusives tempt you in to buy a new console
+It is just a gaming console so just play games
+Good for 1080p@60fpsand less intense 4K games

-A new console that's been out for 1 year, and very few PS5 game exclusives (better off with an XBOX as they are easier to get) - How many awesome exclusive PC games have been released in the last year?
-Already struggling at 4K@60fps, with Ray Tracing and 8K badge is a gimmik - My RTX3070 cost me more than a PS5 and it struggles with 4k 60fps
-PS5 is scalped like crazy - So are GPUs but I get telegram notifications almost daily for PS5 drops, and fortnightly for RTX 3XXX drops.
-PS5 has been selling so fast because of scalpers and FOMO. - Scalpers gonna scalp.
-You might get one for £450 msrp if you are lucky and look at drops and all that nonsense as they sell out in minutes due to scalpers - You're repeating yourself now.
-Games are very expensive, you can spend much on games over the year. Maybe expect to spend £500-£1000 or more depends on how many games you buy. - Games can either be priced ridiculously (like on STEAM store or EPIC etc), or can be had on cheaper stores or ebay. Physical copies have a resale value. I bought countless console games, completed them, sold them for either the same price I paid, or for a loss of about £5. You cant do this with PC games so don't conveniently overlook this significant difference.

So I don't think anyone would be missing out if you wanted a PS5 and have not got one as playing Spideman Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank for one year is hardly Next Gen. - Give me some PC games offering the same quality. I''d like to put my 3070 to the test.

You have lots of negatives about consoles which implies you wouldn't own one, you're kind of lost here when you have people like myself and others who are capable of a balanced viewpoint.

You should go back to playing your games at max fps on your 1440p monitor. (which you no doubt have, because 90% of people on here do. - remember, framerate is king)

Soldato
Here's another gem from Sarge

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/34626365

"I would never recommend scapled cards and sorry to anyone pressured to pay over the odds for a card due to scapling. The situation is grim and if I had a spare card I would donate it at retail at most tbh. The 3090 is a powerfully GPU and I hope you enjoy the card if you have one. It is a good card.

Just , when I review a product , I always consider price as part of my recommendation of the product. So if I saw say a 1060 laptop on sale for £5k. I would firstly not recommend it because of the price. Not sure why "if money is no object" is relevant in a review. Price and performance are key features of tech parts."

remember guys, Price and performance are key features of tech parts... unless they are consoles right...

Seems people called you out on posting tripe in that thread too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom