1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People you admired but now you don't

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SexyGreyFox, Feb 9, 2019.

1. mattyg

Soldato

Nelson Mandela. I tried to get tickets for his concert at Wembley in 1988 £50 a ticket....That guy needs locking up......

2. IvanDobskey

Soldato

Johnny Depp

Can't say I ever really admired him, but never realised what an utter **** he was until the whole Amber Heard debacle.

Also Elon Musk....

3. Scam

Capodecina

From the second part quoted I can't tell if you're being serious or not. To be perfectly honest, punching someone is hardly outrageous behaviour - it happens every Fri and Sat night in middle England. Plenty of sportsman get into a fracas yet they're lauded as superheroes. Alot worse has absolutely, definitely happened whilst on a TV/film set... JC might not be everyone's cup of tea but ultimately it's the BBC who lost out.

4. Roland Butter

Hitman

Well, how many viewers exactly does his car show get now on Amafixsonnet ?

5. Scam

Capodecina

https://news.sky.com/story/the-one-...tops-list-with-the-grand-tour-second-11468194

Amazon reportedly have 100m subscribers now so you do the maths...

6. Destination

Capodecina

In saying that, the amber heard business, with a dog poo in the marital bed that the maid told johnny wasn't from a dog at all....
    Both sides in that were out of control.

7. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I only admire people who are facing a struggle and carrying themselves well.

8. SkodaMart

Mobster

The most obvious one is Rolf Harris as previously said.

9. Amplus

Associate

Robert De Niro

ATG actor that now does any old ***** film. I don't get it. Not like he needs the money. Also has turned into a preachy, annoying SJW which annoys me even more.

10. Amplus

Associate

Eminem.

Still say he first 2 albums are some of the most iconic and best in my lifetime. He hasn't made anything decent in over 15 years and now I just find it embrassing listening to him a 47 year old guy rapping his crap new tunes.

11. Ugley_Matt

Wise Guy

Stephen Fry

12. something daft already!!

Mobster

Patrick Stewart. After he had a go at James Corden. Not that I like Corden and I understand they have cleared the air but it showed what he was like.

13. Schlong&Stable

Mobster

I've never felt much of an emotional attachment to anyone famous like that. I guess Michael Jackson turning out to be the King of Pedo's was a shame as I like his music.

14. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

Dr Dre. - His music now sucks and so do his headphones.

15. Orionaut

Soldato

For me it is rather the other way round. I have always had a cynical head, even as a child, and have never confused the work that people do with the people who they are.

Indeed. Talented and creative people, despite doing great work are often questionable, even downright nasty, individuals.

By contrast, People who I might have disregarded when young, I have come to realise sometimes have admirable qualities that go way beyond the nasty things that they might have used them for.

Since you mention it, as an example of this, Hitler is a particularly easy person to disregard. At best, he is easy to ridicule with the funny little mustache, the grown up boy scout outfits that he wore, particularly in the earlier years, and the ranting speeches. (Even at the time, Chaplins "Great Dictator" anybody?) At worst he is easy to hate as being the physical incarnation of some sort of demonic presence straight from the ninth circle of Hell.

And yet, And even 70 years on, it is still probabally #Toosoon, but...

I have no doubt that in, say, 500 years time. Adolf Hitler will be regarded as one of the (If not "the" the) most extraordinary natural leaders of all history. And here is why...

When we go back through history and look at the people who have achieved the status of "Great Leader".

We think of people like the Greats (Ramses, Alexander, even our own Alfred. and so on)

We think of people like Genghis Khan, The First Quin Emperor (And so on)

And more recently people Like Napoleon Bonaparte.

Now, while these were all undoubtedly great leaders who made their own mark on history. they all had one thing in common.

One way or another they all had a head start. Most were already royalty in their own right. and even commoners like Napoleon were people who already had a position in life that they were able to build on over time (Napoleon was a career officer who moved up through the ranks and only became Emperor after half a lifetime of steady progression that allowed him to display and develop his undoubted talent for command.)

But Hitler had none of this. He was a total nobody, He had no underlying high social status, no privileged education, no personal wealth to draw on. He took over a fringe political party at a time when it was on the outer fringe of the fringe with less than 60 members (Hitler was the 55th) and through sheer force of personality and utterly relentless determination, 14 years later He ruled Germany and less than ten years after that he had transformed Germany from a demoralized and economically destitute nation into a confident military superpower that engaged in a splurge of (Initially) unstoppable empire building that it took the combined forces of the worlds three greatest Empires to defeat. And even then it wasn't easy!

Do I think Hitler was really a nice chap who has been misunderstood by history? Of course not.

But I do take the Louis Farrakhan position.

Hitlers admirable qualities were not what he did as such, or even how he did it.

His admirable quality's were his sheer and unstoppable determination, against all the odds, to achieve his objectives, from a starting position where he had literally nothing to his name. (Dont forget, it wasn't just words, He was injured during the "Putch" and served a prison sentence on top of that. He also miraculously survived multiple assassination attempts. A less determined man would have given up.)

Somehow he managed to combine the roles of being an astute and commanding politician, a Rock star, and a messianic leader all at the same time. And he did it more or less all on his own

(The Nazis created the modern rock concert. All rock concerts today essentially follow the presentation strategy of the Nuremberg and other rallies :p)

It is easy to crack jokes about "Triumph of the Will" But in Hitlers case, this is exactly what it was.

It really is quite extraordinary and i struggle to think of any leader from history who has come anywhere close to the extent of his incredible personal achievement from such humble beginnings.

For good or ill, there is a lesson there for all of us.

16. Roland Butter

Hitman

....and if your life has been struggle free ?

Can I help it if I had a idyllic childhood, quite happy with the body I've got, good job and money in the bank, no addictions, syndromes or mental health issues ?

Have some pity for the people who can't honestly blame anything for their terminal ennui.

17. String

Capodecina

Hitler was a great man? I've heard it all on here now. :p

18. builder22

Wise Guy

Not really admire/hate but closest I can think of.....

Snoop Dogg since he did a song with Olly Murs.
    Seasick Steve after realising he wasn’t really a hobo type getting by with a 2 string guitar....the clue there should have been the fact I was watching him at a pretty big festival.

19. Beasty

Mobster

Yeah Lance Armstrong, Rolf Harris a bit too.

20. something daft already!!

Mobster