*** Phanteks EVOLV Owners Thread ***

Associate
Wow, that's a pretty big drop in temps! Will have to see about getting it done myself.

As much as I appreciate Phanteks focusing on flexibility and silence when designing the case, the airflow could really be a bit better.

Soldato
It seems in general use the temps have dropped around 4/5c and there is noticeably more airflow from the top vents.

What are your temps when you remove the top panel entirely? That would give a good indication as to what modding it might reduce it by.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
What are your temps when you remove the top panel entirely? That would give a good indication as to what modding it might reduce it by.

I'll test it with a good Battlefield session and report back.

Edit: It made about ~2C difference with the top of the case. As a comparison I set all the fans to a fixed speed, it seems the biggest difference it to tape the wholes off. However, I am wondering if I mod the top of the case and use a pull configuration rather than a push would it make much of a difference?

Last edited:
Associate
As well as masking the holes in the rad bracket I've found it helps to mount the rad as far forward in the case as possible, although this depends on the tubing being long enough. Less of the air that gets heated by the GPU is then sucked through the rad, and it's able to pull cooler air straight from the front intakes.

As mentioned previously I've also used rubber washers to space the front panel slightly further out which increases the air intake.

Soldato
I notice very little difference in temps even if I remove my front panel entirely, so while not all set-ups are going to be identical, I am very much of the view that the top panel is where the issues are. Given I've read people report drops of as much as 15 degrees by removing it, there is clearly something to said for modding that top section! As and when I add a GPU to my loop in the future, I will definitely be doing that.

Associate
I completely agree, the top panel is the larger issue and even though I am happy with the performance now that is where the heat seems to get trapped. A mesh or grill built in to the top panel would make a huge difference.

In my case I think the front panel spacing helped more as I am running the fans at low RPMs and have also moved them higher so they're both blowing fully into the main chamber. As you've said Legend, this is likely to vary from setup to setup.

Associate
In which way is better to setup fans and watercooling
I have corsair h110i gtx, and really dont know how to set up cooling. How many fans to bring airflow in, how many to bring it out

Associate
So quick question all.

How do you guys mount your fans at the front? In front of or behind the mounting bracket?

I ask because I assume putting them behind the mounting bracket clears and extra inch or so of space in the front meaning better airflow. Or is this not the case?

Soldato
I've got them mounted in front of the bracket, so almost touching the filter. Didn't considered mounting them behind.

Do some tests and report back :)

Soldato
3 x 120mm infront, as above didnt even consider putting it behind, but to do so and to keep the same configuration i have would require removal of the drive caddy/lower compartment lid.

I have been thinking about moving the H110i rad from the roof to the front after watching a video on youtube comparing results of different postioning/configuration of rads/fans.
Not entirely sure how much of a difference it will make as my temps are pretty low as they are at the moment, it might bother me more in the summer as the room my PC is in turns into an oven in the summer.
But you know any excuse to tinker... Friday night, a few beers and bugger all else planned... I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Soldato
Whats the optimal way to power the fans and a corsair H115i with this case, Do I use the PWM board with the case or should I use motherboard headers for more control? (fan xpert)

Soldato
Whats the optimal way to power the fans and a corsair H115i with this case, Do I use the PWM board with the case or should I use motherboard headers for more control? (fan xpert)

I've got all of my fans plugged into the PWM board, and then the PWM board plugged into the CPU header on the motherboard. I then control all of the fans using a profile in the bios based on the CPU temp. Works ok for me :)

Man of Honour
Did not know you could turn the ED lighting off by holding the RGB button, nice!

All my fans inc H115i are connected to the mobo, with the silent profile set in the BIOS which then ramps up based on temps.

Otherwise they are all ~500rpm.

Soldato
I have just got a Phanteks EVOLV with the glass sides, might have been better to get the none glass one? I am going to fit a h100i v2 in the front when my mobo is delivered, have not worked out how it’s done yet as all the YouTube videos put them in the top.

Soldato
Done the top tape mod with my corsair H110 GT and the front panel temps have come down a wee bit,nice little tweaks just need to find some better rad fans as I've got the stock ones on

Soldato
Here is picture of mine, using a temp cooler until I get an Am4 bracket:
WP_20170310_02_26_29_Pro_zpsrbojmhw8.jpg

Associate
So I've been doing a bit of research looking for a new case for my Ryzen build that I'll be looking to start in a few weeks/months. Love the look of this case but I'm probably going to be looking at a Noctua air cooler so I'm not sure if a case like this is going to be ideal with the restricted top ventilation. Do you think I'd be better off with something like the Enthoo? I currently have a silencio for my 3570K build and I do like a quiet case so maybe its worth looking at the Eclipse also, although I get thats not going to be the same quality case. Also the Eclipse would be tight on space with something like the Noctua D15s, it says 160mm high and Noctuas website states that cooler is also 160mm high, thats pretty tight!

Back
Top Bottom