Philips 20" 200W6CS Widescreen TFT LCD

Associate
Thanks for posting settings btw...

Is it just me or does selecting the colour profile PH_LCD20.icc for this monitor completely screw up the contrast and brightness etc? What have I missed?

Associate
blueboddies said:
Thanks for posting settings btw...

Is it just me or does selecting the colour profile PH_LCD20.icc for this monitor completely screw up the contrast and brightness etc? What have I missed?
Where did you find this profile? If it is on the driver disk, then I haven't used the disk - it didn't seem necessary.

Associate
yeh if u install the driver on the disc i think it must add in the colour profile with it (doesnt apply it auto). Not essential as you say, but I used to use a colour profile on my old CRT.
This one isnt any help though. :rolleyes:

Are you just running plugnplay then? there were a couple of times with PnP- display showed 'Cannot display...please select 1680' no signal error at post and win loading screens. This was only with dvi and i was running x64.

If anyone gets this problem i found easiest way to fix is turn off for a while, completely disconnect from mains, then reconnect.
I wonderwhy does post screen and xp loading not show in smaller window in native mode?

Associate
blueboddies said:
yeh if u install the driver on the disc i think it must add in the colour profile with it (doesnt apply it auto). Not essential as you say, but I used to use a colour profile on my old CRT.
This one isnt any help though. :rolleyes:

Are you just running plugnplay then?
Yes. I just connected it up (DVI), and Windows XP and the nVidia card (6600GT) semed to sort it out. I can't remember if I had to set the resolution on the desktop properties to 1680x1050. I may have done.
Just right-click on the desktop, select Properties then the Settings tab and the resolution slider should have 1680x1050 at the RH end.

Then I started fiddling around with the picture settings and finished up as I described above.
If you have Adobe Gamma, don't follow the instruction to turn the contrast to maximum at the beginning. Start at 6.0 and move it up if the image lookas a bit 'flat' when you've got the colour right.

I may decide to have two profiles stored in Monitor Calibration Wizard - one for use in daylight and one for subdued (artificial) lighting.
Monitor Calibration Wizard makes it very easy to switch between them.

Last edited:
Associate
Right well I have had my monitor for a few days now...

pic.php

Didn't reply straight away as I wanted to live with it for a bit to see how it settled!

First up I came from a 17" iiyama TFT & was slightly concerned if it was going to be a big enough difference moving to a 20" WS. My fears were unfounded as I am very pleased with the increase in overall size. Widescreen gaming is immense, HL2 & CSS look fantastic, I really am blown away by how good it looks :D

Also as I only sit about a foot or so from the monitor, I don't think it needs to be any bigger!

pic.php

Luckily I have zero dead or stuck pixels..Phew..& no discernable backlight bleed either..Double Phew ;) Mine also came in the 05 box, no signs of being opened before hand. But as with the others the monitor itself is the 00 version as previously mentioned. And as per Philips specs here http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...proxybuster=01KYBFY1HSUEXJ0RMRESHQVHKFSEKI5P#
& previous posters this is the spec I believe!

Aside from that, the monitor was very easily setup as you would expect, dvi connection to my 1900XT, restart Windows, installed the drivers, selected 1680 * 1050 & that was it...Oh & it is incredibly bright :cool: So had to reduce that a touch. Have not felt the need to mess around with colour profiles as it seems pretty much spot on straight away to me.

Associate
Viewing angles are great..

pic.php

No visible signs of excessive ghosting either, have played HL2, CSS, Fear, COD2 etc...& whilst there is bound to be some I honestly did not notice any at all....TBH, I feel ghosting whilst it obviously does exist on all TFT's to some extent is widely over hyped. Never had a problem with it myself, even on my old one. The sheer vibrance & contrast of the colours whilst gaming is superb :D

The unit itself seems very well made as well, no creaks or anything like that! & looks pretty damn good in silver! Especially as my new build lives in a P180..

Overall I am extremely happy, & would recommend this monitor to anyone...For £300 odd quid all in you really cannot go wrong! Well done Philips on an excellent monitor.

Associate
The monitor actually looks a bit small & washed out in the above pics. That is the digi cam doing its autobalance thing!

IRL it looks a lot better :D

Associate
well yeh ive noticed 'lag', see earlier posts. Although thats really too strong a word imo :)
I never bought the philips thinking it was a gamers monitor- i figured it would be not to shoddy for games according to the response specs. Fact is its suprised me how good the response is.

liking that wallpaper btw.

Associate
Well, I've received my philips also and I'm also very pleased with it. I am particularly fussy about colours on DVD playback and I found the much rated samsung 913N unsatisfactory. The Philips is my best tft purchase yet, and a worthy replacement to the excellent Hyundai Q17.

Anyway, one problem I'm having is that my windows media player does not hide the menus when running under fullscreen anymore. I am running the monitor as plug and play without installing any drivers etc. will this make a difference?

I've tried reinstalling windows media player v10. What should I do?

Associate
if ive understood u right &Im not sure I have (which menus- the playback buttons?)
Have you tried:-

tools > options > performance tab > advanced
untick 'display full screen controls' in dvd section
You can the dbl click to switch to full screen mode and back.

Otherwise you may be better off asking elsewhere as i cant think that this is a monitor driver issue.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9

I mentioned plug and play driver earlier cause i experianced a freak miscommunication between my graphics and the monitor after a reboot. Probably wrong resolution/refresh rate somehow set off the safety function; and DVI is picky. It maybe nvidia drivers not sure, we're onto 84's now tho.

I dont think monitor drivers help the monitor perform better at all- i certainly didnt notice a difference. But i personally install drivers for peace of mind.

Associate
I tried what you suggested, but that completely removes the top and bottom borders. Previously, the borders would disappear when the mouse was left alone and reappear when you move the mouse alowing you to easily access the slidebar etc.

If you know the solution, please reply. If not, I'll try the other forum as you suggest. Many thanks.

Caporegime
OP
PanchoVilla said:
I tried what you suggested, but that completely removes the top and bottom borders. Previously, the borders would disappear when the mouse was left alone and reappear when you move the mouse alowing you to easily access the slidebar etc.

If you know the solution, please reply. If not, I'll try the other forum as you suggest. Many thanks.

you sure you didn't click on that needle icon in the corner?

Associate
oops :D cant believe i didnt pick that one up either

Even tho it looks like a needle I think its sposed to be a pin as in you are pinning the menu where it is. They shouldve just stuck to 'autohide' in a context menu- like they did with start menu and whatnot. Glad u got solution anyways.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got this. From a first impressions I would say it’s a decent monitor. In black backgrounds backlight bleeding in the corners is easily noticeable. It’s king of annoying watching some dark movies, and I notice some "twinkling" in movies. Also, blacks levels aren’t not that great, imo. I’m wondering how the NEC compares.

I’ll reserve final judgment of the Philips for later, I need more time to play around with it.

Associate
I got the Philips yesterday, so mind you, this is my opinion of the Philips after one day of use. I’ll try to make this quick and painless.

I got 0 dead pixels, but in black or dark backgrounds I have backlight bleed in all 4 corners, otherwise the bleed is not noticeable.

I’d say for regular desktop use the Philips is ok. No real complaints there.

During movie playback I have a few gripes. The backlight bleed is a tad annoying in some dark scenes. Reds seem a bit off, but I dunno this could be a matter adjusting color settings. I have fiddled a bit with the settings, but I’m not getting much improvement.

Blacks are not as deep as I would like.

These are my first impressions…

I don’t game, so no comments in that department.

I’m thinking of returning it. I’m picky person though, others mind find it more than satisfactory. Don’t get me wrong it's a decent monitor, but I want the NEC lol...

Last edited:
Associate
Just received mine (finnally)
As stated box had been opened and a cable lobbedin, BUT
The other cables were open, the DVI cable was already attached to the monitor....
anyone else had their cable alredy attacheD?
Let me know asap please!
THANKS

Caporegime
mrmoo said:
Just received mine (finnally)
As stated box had been opened and a cable lobbedin, BUT
The other cables were open, the DVI cable was already attached to the monitor....
anyone else had their cable alredy attacheD?
Let me know asap please!
THANKS

That's a refurb then and not a brand new new model... :(

Back
Top Bottom