[PIC_THREAD] Weddings

Man of Honour
I shoot underexposed for certain shots (ones indoors where I have strong highlights behind the subject or maybe even in front) in order to balance the exposure in post, here's the original RAW crop:

Untitled-1_9.jpg

You can see that in person she's going to have striking eyes :)

Soldato
Love those MS. Is it a Lowell ID light? I'm desperate to get one, just need to justify the cost!

I set up an umbrella for that lot, bit of a faff considering we didn't have much time. Plus they always blow over and end up with grass stains on them! :D I need to look in to other methods of lighting that are quicker but give a good quality of light. I'll check out the Lowell ID, a video light would be very handy and something I'm considering. I use a Fenix TK35 in place of a video light at the moment for certain shots as they're very portable and double up for seeing in the dark and helping to lock focus. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Even more impressive, really subtle use of off camera flash :)

Not something I do at the moment, but certainly an area I want to improve on is my dancing shots/off camera flash.

Just need to get out there and practice I guess. I never 100% trust my flash but that's totally down to the fact I don't completely understand it.

Soldato
Hi

I'm in no way anything other than a noob.
I was best man at this wedding and the B/G had asked if I could bring my camera as the official tog couldn't shoot after the meal. (Friend of a Friend)

What do you guys think. (honest CC welcome)

Damn Need to crop 361 again

304-Edit by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

361 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

267-Edit by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

334 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

305-Edit by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

237-Edit by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

246-Edit by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

253-Edit-Edit by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

267-Edit-Edit by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

276-Edit-Edit by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

281 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

I've added a couple of the same shots but with different processing as I can't make my mind up.

P.s. most of those were PP on a laptop so colours may be waaay off

Last edited:
Associate
Holy crap, that's one of the best photos I've seen in ages! Excellent shot and processing :)

*throws camera away and gives up*

That made me laugh. I agree, this one jumped at me in on this page. The dresses behind her out of focus make a great backdrop for the image too. The eyes look incredible.

Man of Honour
Cheers! Light makes a massive difference although with today's sensors you can give yourself quite a large margin to work with as well :)

mattyg nice work and you're right about the colours, the white balance is different in each shot :p 253-edit has the most pleasing colour tone on my screen I reckon.

Edit*

Natalie - Staircase by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mix of both^

I have DOF preview set to on the fly Servo-AF so while I recompose if I feel focus might shift I hold DOF preview and AI servo kicks in tracking her as she walks down the stairs. I took 2 shots of this moment and both came out fine although the first shot is with her on a higher step - I preferred this one as her feet and position are perfect for the comp.

Soldato
Might try giving that a go. Never really thought of it before, was just made to think of it in this photo. Obviously as it's a big event and you've got very little wiggle room, getting it right within seconds is always something I'm trying to improve on, especially with gig photography.

While I'm mulling over ways of doing things, how do you have your 5dmk3 set up? Have you changed buttons, programmed different settings to quickly swap about? Personally I haven't found any need to do anything other than quickly switch over settings for metering for example, or the iso. I suppose if you were using the different programming options you could set a group of settings to rapidly switch between shutter/iso/Fstop for an immediate change of style.

The way I'm using the camera is pretty basic really, but that being said it's only that way as it suits what I'm doing currently. I just don't want to lock myself into a single way of thinking or I'll never really progress, or at least in the sense of camera use :)

Soldato
Might try giving that a go. Never really thought of it before, was just made to think of it in this photo. Obviously as it's a big event and you've got very little wiggle room, getting it right within seconds is always something I'm trying to improve on, especially with gig photography.

While I'm mulling over ways of doing things, how do you have your 5dmk3 set up? Have you changed buttons, programmed different settings to quickly swap about? Personally I haven't found any need to do anything other than quickly switch over settings for metering for example, or the iso. I suppose if you were using the different programming options you could set a group of settings to rapidly switch between shutter/iso/Fstop for an immediate change of style.

The way I'm using the camera is pretty basic really, but that being said it's only that way as it suits what I'm doing currently. I just don't want to lock myself into a single way of thinking or I'll never really progress, or at least in the sense of camera use :)

He introduced a couple of us to the DoF preview AI servo switch at the recent London meet. I love that button now.

kd

Soldato
I've used the AI servo in gigs often as it helps track the bouncing around of the lead singer. I'm off work in a couple of weeks so I'll have more time to sit about trying out different things. I don't want to start messing around with how I do things yet as people are starting to offer money for my services for the way I do things now :D

Man of Honour

AF point zone selection remapped, DOF preview remapped to be Servo and maybe some CF-n settings tweaked as well. Apart from that everything else is to how I have had all my bodies over the years. I don't use the custom program modes, just change on the fly as I've gotten so used to changing to each scene at that moment :)

Soldato
Smile!
A26A1724.jpg

The contrasting difference between the girls getting ready vs the guys is usually huge. One party spends most of the morning hurrying around applying makeup, getting things in order and making sure the guys are getting ready whilst at the same time the other party is having a great laugh with beers and lightly wondering what the girls are up to :p

Edit*

Bridesmaid Eyes by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

Those eyes!

Associate
So I shot my first wedding on Saturday. Enjoyed the day, but it was hard work! Used Canon 5D2 and 35L for 80% of it, 85 1.8 and Yonguno 468 II for other bits and in the end I delivered 180 photos to the couple.

It was a civil ceremony, low budget affair in quite a pokey venue, so not your usual grand church affair. My biggest worries were directing people in the group shots and the couple shots, which turned out okay, if a bit cliche. In the end, I probably missed didn't get as many candid shot as I'd have liked but the couple are very happy with the shots. so I'll build on that next time.

Also did not realise how many B&W photos I ended up with until I looked at the set as a whole, the lighting inside was a bit of a challenge, lots of different kinds of lights.

Oh and I know the watermark is balls in some of them, it was quick job for forum posting :).

9881973923_a90fa9234b_c.jpg

9882014533_93763e8f5e_c.jpg

9881913115_2e4b534c9a_c.jpg

9882025556_6399fb040f_c.jpg

9882071735_95f0eb4821_c.jpg

9882261953_84a16f428a_c.jpg

9882239566_ef4524c619_c.jpg

9882343255_f52c61eaa8_c.jpg

9882405534_5529a15eec_c.jpg

9882429204_7fa0b8d138_c.jpg

9882915544_47ba30fc6f_c.jpg

9882564485_fc0b372c7f_c.jpg