Pimax 8k is live

Soldato
honestly i do not know why pimax are bothering with the 8k (other than for possibly contractual reasons for KSers)

the 5k+ runs at higher refresh, native resolution so no scaling issues, performs better and generally has slightly better image quality - better pixel layout as well as the native resolution i suppose).

imo they would be far better binning the 8K and just focussing on 2 products, the 5K+ and the 8Kx

Associate
I don't think it's quite that clearcut...there was a backer event in Berlin and there were mixed responses to which was best, with the moajority saying they'd stick with the 8K. A lot of people are stressing about the pixel layout, but if you can barely see the SDE on 8k you're not going to see the pixel layout.

I mainly play racing sim, and as a group sim players, air/space/racing all agreed the 8k was better in use than the 5k+ despite the image sharpness issue. I'm glad I have some time to make my choice, it's been pretty mixed opinion across the board. At least once people start getting their hands on the headsets there will be more information.

Soldato
I don't think it's quite that clearcut...there was a backer event in Berlin and there were mixed responses to which was best, with the moajority saying they'd stick with the 8K. A lot of people are stressing about the pixel layout, but if you can barely see the SDE on 8k you're not going to see the pixel layout.

I mainly play racing sim, and as a group sim players, air/space/racing all agreed the 8k was better in use than the 5k+ despite the image sharpness issue. I'm glad I have some time to make my choice, it's been pretty mixed opinion across the board. At least once people start getting their hands on the headsets there will be more information.

Someone actually investigating the pixel layout on the 8K will be key for me. Its difficult to make out on the images that have been released so far but it is looking like the 8K panel is either half the number of subpixels it should be, or something like pentile so 66% of what it should be (compared with a true 4K RGB panel it was advertised as).

If its half as has been suggested, then I'll be getting the 5K+ and using the various credits and coupons to get the wireless module. If its pentile and removing the scaler improves the images then I'll go ahead with getting the 8K-X, but either way I think I am going to ask for the 5K+ as my loan unit.

Associate
That's interesting, and they are being very secretive about the screen details. At the moment I'm thinking of playing it safe and going 5K+. I only went for the 8K not the X so I get what I pick...

Associate
Someone actually investigating the pixel layout on the 8K will be key for me. Its difficult to make out on the images that have been released so far but it is looking like the 8K panel is either half the number of subpixels it should be, or something like pentile so 66% of what it should be (compared with a true 4K RGB panel it was advertised as).

If its half as has been suggested, then I'll be getting the 5K+ and using the various credits and coupons to get the wireless module. If its pentile and removing the scaler improves the images then I'll go ahead with getting the 8K-X, but either way I think I am going to ask for the 5K+ as my loan unit.

Ya I am also an 8K-X backer. I don’t think I want it if they are using the same 4K panels as in the 8K. Have my GPU do that massive processing of 2x 4K at 90 hz only to have half the information thrown away by some garbage pixel layout.

Associate
I'm still itching to buy one of them 5K+ jobbies but will wait until the initial stocks have gone and the pre-orders have been fulfilled. In fact I might even wait until OverClockers stock them and get it directly from here.

Soldato
I'm going to wait until they sell it with base stations and decent controllers are available [and the software is sorted].

CBA being a beta tester.

Associate
I'm going to wait until they sell it with base stations and decent controllers are available [and the software is sorted].

CBA being a beta tester.

I backed it on KS and that's my biggest fear. They already cocked up performance with an untested update to the software after the first round of deliveries....I'm keeping the rift as backup cos I know it's reliable, but saying that I'm so excited I could pee myself about the Pimax though :)

Soldato
I backed it on KS and that's my biggest fear. They already cocked up performance with an untested update to the software after the first round of deliveries....I'm keeping the rift as backup cos I know it's reliable, but saying that I'm so excited I could pee myself about the Pimax though :)

I heard the software sucks but its to be expected as im sure they made a poll and people agreed they'd want the headset physically despite software not being optimised.

Regardless, its going to be amazingly fun but just very fiddly.

My rift is already fiddly enough though.. I want to spend more time playing games and less in settings this year.

Back
Top Bottom