Pimax 8k is live

Soldato
I finally got my 5k+. Luckily its just a loan unit because the colours and blacks are completely awful, really distracting. The fabric strap is also awful so i would recommend anyone thinking of buying one to wait for the proper headstrap to be released.

Associate
I've got a 5K+ as well -can confirm that the headstreap is a real problem, but the Vive DAS works as a decent fix.

HTC must be cashing in on Pimax because every HMD needs £600 - £900 of HTC parts (2X controllers, base stations, and DAS, price is different if you go 1.0 or 2.0 tracking).

even though the colours are washed out and i have snow, plus crazy screen tearing, the wide FOV is fantastic and i prefer it to the Vive Pro.

Soldato
Going out and buying a DAS is not a solution, it still takes major cludging to even attach. Pimax's version is included for backers they just haven't bothered making it yet. It still means i have a paperweight until i get my actual backer items. No way i would recommend anyone buy one in its current state.

Soldato
I have had my Pimax 5K+ for a while now and I find the headstrap comfortable enough and easy to use. It's no worse than CV1 without the DAS.

Pros
  • FoV is excellent, checking six in flight sims is no longer practically impossible.
  • Sharpness is excellent, noticeably better than my CV1 and Odyssey (both now gone)
  • SDE is excellent, but still there.
  • God rays are reduced to almost invisible.
Cons
  • Blacks are poor. ED isn't horrible but would be off putting to many and I found it acceptable. Though Senmua was unplayable in dark areas because of the poor blacks in that game.
  • Software is buggy but functional.
  • The LCD displays do have some backlight in dark games, I'm reluctant to call it light bleed.
  • Has some darker "dots" in a regular pattern in some scenes, though when gaming it is not a problem but anyone who hates such distractions may be put off.
Conclusion
So overall a good HMD and I do not regret backing it. The wider FoV at first wasn't wow, more of a "yeah can see out the sides better" but not wow, better. That all changed when I tried a CV1 briefly at a friends and it was almost laughable in comparison. Like all HMDs there are issues but the IQ (apart from blacks) overall is a jump up from CV1 and Vive, and even from my Odyssey.

My friend tried the Pimax 5K+ and really did feel it was a major step up in clarity.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have had my Pimax 5K+ for a while now and I find the headstrap comfortable enough and easy to use. It's no worse than CV1 without the DAS.

I can use my vive for 2-3 hours, no das, the pimax hurts after 20 minutes and i spend half that time fighting to get the sweet spot to sit right. It looks better if i tilt the headset up but getting it to sit like that would mean messing about with the foam and as its a loan unit i can't really be damaging it. I can't see me getting much use out of it at all.

Associate
Had mine arrive on Thursday. The problem is that I dont have any Vive base stations or controllers until Pimax release the knuckles and base stations. Can anyone tell me what is the minimum number of base stations I need?

Soldato
I think just one, but there might be a foible to steam where it wants 2 to do the initial setup but then will actually work with just one after that. Best place to ask is on the pimax forum as other people have been through the same thing.

Associate
I finally got my 5k+. Luckily its just a loan unit because the colours and blacks are completely awful, really distracting. The fabric strap is also awful so i would recommend anyone thinking of buying one to wait for the proper headstrap to be released.

Is it a loaner because you backed 8k-x? That's going to be some wait based on their current performance.

Associate
I just got a DPD notification, something is arriving on Monday...could it be my long awaited 8K? Dammit why couldn't it arrive today!

I'm utterly confused, their spreadsheet update on Monday said my 8K was still being built...I know they're starting to make more and get them shipped but it seems too quick. I hope it's not a 5K+

Soldato
Is it a loaner because you backed 8k-x? That's going to be some wait based on their current performance.
Yes, and yeah i realise that as well, mind you the fabric strap is awful and the 5k+ keeps losing tracking after 10 minutes so its not like i would be getting any use out of it anyway until they fix the software and more of the hardware turns up.

Associate
First impressions are:
It’s not plug and play yet, couldn’t get it to head track using a lighthouse
FOV is stunning
SDE is a big step up but still visible in certain situations
Colours and Black levels are noticeably worse than my rift, washed out look
Clarity, picture sharpness doesn’t feel like a big step up from my rift at 1.6ss, I think I need to play around with the settings here and hopefully software improvements can help.
Head strap is comfy but it does feel like it moves when playing a little
Using gyro tracking I have World wobble issue, when I move my head everything moves in the opposite direction as if the acceleration isn’t being calculated/reported correctly.

Overall I like it, but I think I would be a little disappointed if I’d paid full retail price.

That FOV though, sit in an asp explorer in elite dangerous, very impressive.

Edit: initial disappointment now reducing rapidly as I find the sweet spot settings but these do have to be tweaked in SteamVR and in each game. PC2 for instance requires in game supersampling to get improved clarity. Elite Dangerous with everything on Ultra looks just glorious now. Played around with brightness, pitool multiplier and SteamVR settings over and over again. Worth the effort though. I’m booked in with support for Saturday to sort the world wobble issue out and lighthouse tracking problems. Head strap will just have to wait until Pimax get around to producing their own as I will get that as a stretch goal reward.

Last edited:
Associate
The more I use the 8k the better it gets. It may not be plug and play but when you find the sweet spot! Visually it’s amazing, the SDE is barely noticeable, the FOV just feels so natural even on Normal (haven’t even tried large yet) compared to the Rift binoculars...it’s a great step up from my rift.

It’s unbelievable Jeff...

Associate
Kickstarter, I paid for it a long long long time ago lol

Edit: and to be honest after a few days I’d say it’s worth every penny o& the current $899 price. They’ve just released new pitool update which has apparently made further improvements but I haven’t been brave enough to update just yet, still feeling my way a little with it.

Last edited:
Associate
TeamViewer support session yesterday, not the outcome I wanted. Seems there is a hardware fault, so I have to RMA it. I can use it as it is until I send it back, it will be weird going back to the Rift though.

Soldato
The latest pitool has fixed my wands losing tracking issue, however the headset itself still drops out after 20 minutes and now onward has really bad tracking jitter, so still not actually playable.

Associate
The RMA process will be interesting to follow. Good luck with that.

Yes, there are some horror stories on the forum, they have assured me there is UK warehouse stock. I think that means it's pot luck whether I get another with the same issue lol.

It's not the end of my world, as long as I get a good one eventually I'll be happy!

Back
Top Bottom