Pimax 8k is live

Associate
I’m sure they’ll be keeping an eye on it, well Oculus anyway I thought HTC were selling up. On paper the specs of the Pimax are impressive. If they get themselves sorted and actually deliver what they promised it will be a huge step forward visually. Oculus/HTC would be extremely foolish to ignore that and should consider adjusting their plans if necessary. VR seems to be getting a foothold, it’s mentioned most weeks on the Gadget Show now. Roomscale still needs that killer app though, the game everybody wants, then it will really fly.

Soldato
Think outside the box... 4.2m Kickstarter.

Haters gotta hate

By August next year, vive or rift will announce a new HMD

Haters? What are you talking about? Who is hating?

Did you not read what I posted? Vive and Rift have already said their headsets are coming in 2019. Not sure about the HTC, but Oculus said they are working on higher resolutions headsets with full wireless capabilities, long before Pimax released anything. You are acting like Pimax are doing something completely new. They aren't, Oculus and Vive already have their headset out.

If HTC and Oculus do have headsets coming in 2019, chances are they will be releasing info in CES in January 2018, never mind August.

As for your thinking outside the box? 4.2million? What's that? Just a drop in the ocean compared to the resources that Oculus has. Pimax are coming out with a headset based on the groundwork that HTC and Oculus have done. And it's good to see new companies out there bringing more exposure to VR. And at this moment in time there is lots of room for new headsets. The market is still developing.

You love Pimax, I get it, but it hasn't shook up the market.

Soldato
I’m sure they’ll be keeping an eye on it, well Oculus anyway I thought HTC were selling up. On paper the specs of the Pimax are impressive. If they get themselves sorted and actually deliver what they promised it will be a huge step forward visually. Oculus/HTC would be extremely foolish to ignore that and should consider adjusting their plans if necessary. VR seems to be getting a foothold, it’s mentioned most weeks on the Gadget Show now. Roomscale still needs that killer app though, the game everybody wants, then it will really fly.

I am sure they will be keeping an eye on it, but I don't believe for an instant that it will make Oculus change their schedule. The market isn't there yet. It's still in the very early stages of VR. But I do hope that Pimax deliver on this headset.

Associate
I am sure they will be keeping an eye on it, but I don't believe for an instant that it will make Oculus change their schedule. The market isn't there yet. It's still in the very early stages of VR. But I do hope that Pimax deliver on this headset.

yup, the market isn't quite ready yet. Still a little early. It would be interesting to see how many backers backed Pimax vs Oculus kickstarter. I know not to compare, but would be interesting. I think a lot of people who bought into VR at the Rifts £399, may have even more confidence to buy at a higher price next time. So again, would be interesting to see how many backers Oculus would get if they started another kickstarter for a £800 headset.

I'm just glad Oculus are doing their bit. They said they would get the price down for the masses. I think this is more important for the market and a bigger shakeup than another high end headset. Pimax will get a lot of backers, but nowhere near the numbers needed to shakeup the industry.
As more of my friends have joined in, that's where my enjoyment has risen most. Better graphics are nice, but not what makes games good. Otherwise i'd never have been into gaming in the days of text and space invaders. More users = more devs getting into the action.

I would love a better headset to be out already. Better in all aspects. But i get why Oculus have decided not to do this now. If Oculus had stated they had another £800 headset on the way, i guess a lot who have picked up recently or for Christmas may "wait" and see. Therefore compounding the main problem, which is support from Devs. No users, no money, no games.

Fingers crossed that the eye tracking and foveated rendering work perfect. Nothing short of perfect will be acceptable for me. Same as a hiccup in hand tracking or latency. I have seen less than perfect and it was a very frustrating experience. If these get sorted and reported to be perfect. I will get very excited, because i will hopefully be able to afford the performance needed for these crazy res's. My OC 1080 struggles to maintain 90fps in a lot of games i play. I like 90fps because it is already too slow. Playing table tennis or anything with fast moving objects, I can see the gap between frames. Asw etc as good as they are, in these instances is obvious. (kind of like tracking your fast moving mouse cursor on the desktop at 60hz vs 120. Its even more obvious in vr with it being so big.

I don't want to find myself in a situation, that my new gfx intensive games have to be played scaled up. Basically about the fidelity of a rift then scaled to the high res screen. Whilst being able to play my games from 2yrs ago at the native sharp res. It will really bother my OCD. I don't want to play a game for the first time, knowing that i can't play it in all it's glory. I can wait 2yrs for the gpu to be able render fast enough, but then that first moment is lost. (For me personally, if our fastest gpu couldn't manage 30fps min at 4k with all settings on full. I would buy a 1440p screen to play, because playing upscaled looks worse than on native). However, at this point my last point is less important because the upscaled image has the benefit of less sde, even if the actual image fidelity could be worse.

Very exciting times. I don't stick with vendor through loyalty. I just get what best suites my needs. Nice to see things moving a long nicely. It really does seem like it is hitting mainstream. It's the start of a new major medium. I keep saying, but this is like my first speccy, followed by the transformation to 3dfx graphics cards. Now is the new magic.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would love a better headset to be out already. Better in all aspects. But i get why Oculus have decided not to do this now. If Oculus had stated they had another £800 headset on the way, i guess a lot who have picked up recently or for Christmas may "wait" and see. Therefore compounding the main problem, which is support from Devs. No users, no money, no games.

They would indeed pee a lot of people off especially after their recent price slash/promotion etc...

Another reason why I personally think Oculus are waiting is because they will likely have a huge resolution bump over the current CV1, Something like 4K per eye which is feasible after looking at Pimax, But to pull this off they need GPU power to be readily available on the market that doesn't cost £800 for a single GPU, Something not just the top 0.01% can afford otherwise sales will be low.

Just my theory but when the DK1, DK2 and then CV1 came to market, Each time GPU's were available or shortly made available a few months later that didn't cost a lot and could give a good VR experience i.e when the CV1 came out AMD 4'ish months later released the RX-480 which works very well in VR.

Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yes i'd agree with you too.

Again about performance. At the moment, there are no games that support SLI in VR. Plus after trying SLI for years, i have gone single card. Too many frustrating nuances to the SLI. So, i apply the same thoughts i have about the 2d market to the vr market. I will not be buying a native 8k screen for my games until there are gpu's out that can render games at max between 30-60fps for 99% of games. But again, this is personal. I will still use my monitor for productivity and reading, so i am looking at this from a purely gaming perspective. Let's say the 1080ti is about halfway there for good fps on the pimax screen. Then how long does it take for gpu's to double in power? Maybe 2.5yrs? So maybe another 2yrs before we see cards that can run todays games at good performance natively on the 8k. Again, this is why i am very interested in the eyetracking and foveated rendering. If this works. My biggest bugbear going forwards is greatly reduced. As of now, not even the top 0.01% could play at 8k on full settings on the latest games today.

Soldato
OP

Did you not read what I posted? Vive and Rift have already said their headsets are coming in 2019. Not sure about the HTC, but Oculus said they are working on higher resolutions headsets with full wireless capabilities, long before Pimax released anything. You are acting like Pimax are doing something completely new. They aren't, Oculus and Vive already have their headset out.

If HTC and Oculus do have headsets coming in 2019, chances are they will be releasing info in CES in January 2018, never mind August.

As for your thinking outside the box? 4.2million? What's that? Just a drop in the ocean compared to the resources that Oculus has. Pimax are coming out with a headset based on the groundwork that HTC and Oculus have done. And it's good to see new companies out there bringing more exposure to VR. And at this moment in time there is lots of room for new headsets. The market is still developing.

Lovers gotta love

Soldato
OP

What I'm saying is, pimax 8k will force vive&rift to release new headsets earlier than 2019 due to pimax taking over the market.

They are doing something different.. 200 FOV , higher resolution etc etc

Associate
That won't happen and I say that as a backer. Pimax is pretty much a new company, they have to scale up for production, customer service, RMA's, global deliveries etc. It will take them 6 months to fulfil the Kickstarter pledges and building a development unit is very different from a mass production process. It will take them another 6 months to get retail sales up to speed, new entrants to VR won't pay £800 for a headset with Rift @£400.

Maybe some existing Vive/Rift owners will upgrade if the headset performs well and there are no software issues, but they may wait it out for Rift/Vive v2 headsets which won't be that far away by then. I don't see Pimax taking over the market, but more competition to stop the big boys getting complacent and pushing them to do better has got to be good for VR users as a whole. The others have too much of a headstart for Pimax to suddenly take over.

They're not doing anything different, just improving...their controllers are a blatant copy of the Vive wands lol

Associate
That won't happen and I say that as a backer. Pimax is pretty much a new company, they have to scale up for production, customer service, RMA's, global deliveries etc. It will take them 6 months to fulfil the Kickstarter pledges and building a development unit is very different from a mass production process. It will take them another 6 months to get retail sales up to speed, new entrants to VR won't pay £800 for a headset with Rift @£400.

Maybe some existing Vive/Rift owners will upgrade if the headset performs well and there are no software issues, but they may wait it out for Rift/Vive v2 headsets which won't be that far away by then. I don't see Pimax taking over the market, but more competition to stop the big boys getting complacent and pushing them to do better has got to be good for VR users as a whole. The others have too much of a headstart for Pimax to suddenly take over.

They're not doing anything different, just improving...their controllers are a blatant copy of the Vive wands lol

Agree with all of this. Plus i really want the Pimax to be great. Like you said... keep the others on their toes.

Soldato
What I'm saying is, pimax 8k will force vive&rift to release new headsets earlier than 2019 due to pimax taking over the market.

And you are not reading/understanding anything I am saying. Born2Bslow's post just above is most of what I have been trying to tell you.

I just want to add, how is the Pimax taking over the Market? They aren't even for sale yet!!

Soldato

I agree with all of this too. If the Pimax headset is good then it's looking great for the true next gen headsets whenever they arrive.

Associate
There are only 5946 backers for Pimax on Kickstarter, I don't know how many Vive/Rift headsets have been sold, but I'd guess it's a lot more than that. Yes the tech looks the dogs (and I personally can't wait to get mine), but that alone does not constitute "taking over the market".

Soldato

Try posting without those rose tinted on :p. They are never, not even come close to the market share both leading PC HMDs have.

Taking over the market, aye ok.

Permabanned
I hope the next Rift or Vive is wired. Wireless is virtually always worse than wired, and all that weight of the battery on your head? No thanks.

People are starting to receive the TPCast. So far it's looking good. BTW the battery does not go on your head, that is the wireless coms. The battery fits in your pocket.

Associate
I think they can get away with it for current gen headsets due to the super low resolution. Don't think it will work too good once we hit 4k+.
That is the worry. Maybe some clever compression techniques will be invented...
Anyway, the wireless is great and really frees you up but needs a lot of room to really make the most of it.
Next on my bucketlist is higher resolutions so looking at the Pimax to see how it works out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom