PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Associate
So... who actually is going to use the 4k on this thing? Cheaper 4k on a console! Except the TVs that make the most of it cost almost as much as PCs... unless one plays the smart option of using a 4k monitor, those are fairly affordable. Though that's much like buying 2 of these PS4Pros.

I will say the value of the hardware is good. Why buy a regular PS4 when you can buy one of these for what OG PS4 used to cost? But for now, the 4k remains a gimmick avaiable to few. Even 4k monitors are much less common than the likes of 1440p or 144Hz monitors (or both).

PSPro missed out big-time due to one thing... not improving the 1080p games much. I hear the 1080p mode is exactly the same as regular PS4. That's a major downer. Except for those of us who own a regular PS4, the new one doesn't actually make the original PS4 obsolete in that regard. I'm happy keeping my regular PS4. Not like a PS4Pro would make Bloodborne run at 60fps...

Here's hoping some of the smarter developers just render upscaled 1080p/1440p for the 4k mode and try to target the 60fps.

Associate
People seem to be forgetting the TV the pro needs to perform at its best, factor that price in like you would a monitor for a pc and they are basically the same.

Totally disagree with this. I got my Tv first to watch Tv, then for movies, then for gaming. The prime purpose of a Tv are mainly for these reasons. Yes you have to buy a quality Tv to take full advantage but it's not the sole purpose. My monitor at 1440p cost £600 then add the pc, peripherals etc and I estimate between £2500 - £3000.

Soldato
No I don't think you can make that comparison really. It's not as if the TV's are just for the ps4, they are for watching TV as well and many people buy good TV's regardless of gaming.

Anyway, build a powerful 4K PC and the cost of top notch monitor is still over £500 at least.

We're talking about the engine, not the display and as such, PS4 pro compares very favourably against a PC of much more value.

In that respect you can't really compare any console even the pro to a pc as a pc does so much more.

Soldato
So... who actually is going to use the 4k on this thing? Cheaper 4k on a console! Except the TVs that make the most of it cost almost as much as PCs... unless one plays the smart option of using a 4k monitor, those are fairly affordable. Though that's much like buying 2 of these PS4Pros.

Yeh 4K here. No HDR on either screen, but to be fair the smaller 43" TV was purchased for £250 new and I have to say the picture is pretty damn sharp and vivid, even without HDR.
It doubles as my PC monitor too.

Soldato
In that respect you can't really compare any console even the pro to a pc as a pc does so much more.

Great then lets stop comparing consoles and PC's as its been done to death and boring as hell.

For the price its a great piece of kit in my opinion. Hopefully see more improvements in 1080p games as well. Seems overall the reviews are favourable and Sony have done a decent job.

Caporegime
Which makes no sense, there is room for both. I will always prefer to play fps on PC, higher refresh rate monitors/gsync etc. But 3rd person, sports etc are better for me on console hence I have both.

I don't understand.

Unless it's a console exclusive like The Last of Us or Uncharted 4, you can play a 3rd person and sports game on a PC using a controller and have better graphics, 60fps+ and Native 4k.

I have a 34" ultra wide monitor for desktop gaming and my PC is also connected to a 58" 4k TV.

I have a launch PS4 but barely used it up until 2 weeks ago when I got PSVR.

I use my PC for gaming whenever possible.

Soldato
thought Pro patches were free :confused:

Q: Will I need to pay to update my existing PS4 game with new PS4 Pro features?

A: While nothing specifically prevents publishers and developers from this, we don’t anticipate it at this time. Software updates enabling PS4 Pro features on any existing first-party title (such as inFamous First Light or Uncharted 4) will be free.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Caporegime
thought Pro patches were free :confused:

Cue EA charging £20 for 4K FIFA.

Seriously though, if first party titles have free patches, I can't see other publishers charging much, if anything at all. If they do charge, I reckon it will be a fiver max. I'd much rather they didn't though. Paying enough for a limited upgrade, bleeding more money from us would be a very cynical move.

Soldato
If they tried to charge I'd see it end in massive back lash not on sonys part as there doing it free but I can't see how a dev would not give into the feedback

Associate
I think new games that will be released from next year and possibly some games from this year will take advantage of the new pro. For me i would love to see Fifa, bf1 and the division running at 60FPS stable :D I'm happy with how they look.

Back
Top Bottom