***** PlayStation Vita Official Thread *****

Caporegime
Anyone know what the deal is with Hustle Kings? I think it is one of these cross-play titles like MotorStorm: RC, however, it is confusing as the PS3 version was released ages ago. I wonder if they will give some sort of code for people who own the PS3 version already so they can download the Vita version for free?

DBT85: My 32GB card is at the same shipping stage as yours. I am considering changing to a bundle that has no Memory card as, like you, I suspect the large one will arrive before my VITA.

The only pre-order I have is the Morrison's one. I think that is the best value one for WiFi model atm as it comes with £25 off voucher + £5 off from Pre-order pack + FIFA12 which I hope can trade for ~£25. I only really want PSVITA, Uncharted, Super Stardust, Motorostorm RC and maybe Wipeout, to start with and I think the above bundle will get me all of that, plus money left over, for £250.

Not bothering with 3G version as I read a review (possibly IGN) that shows it has quite a large impact on battery life compared to WiFi only. I would rather use the tether on my Phone if I need to download/upload files. Turning this on/off will be the same effort as turning 3G on/off on Vita (which I would do for battery reasons). GPS makes no difference to me, again I can use a phone with a much better mapping application (albeit slightly smaller screen). I think the 3G/GPS will only be useful if decent apps are made for PS3 (social networking, maps, browser etc). Based on the lack of support such things get on PS3 and the initial so-so reviews of these apps, I will give it a miss.

Don't forget those PSN games are made for PS3 hardware. Unless developers port them it won't happen. Hopefully many do though. Dead Nation on that screen :dribble:
Dead nation, Burn Zombie Burn, PixelJunk series would all look great on VITA. Hopefully a full resolution Remote Play solution gets released for these games or cross-play versions of the game get released (and given free to people with PS3 versions of the game :) )

Edit: Anyone ordered the "Officially Licensed 4Gamers PlayStation Vita Travel Case - Black"? I like the look of this and it is only £10. I like the case in the starter kit as well but don't want to pay £20+ as I will not use the other stuff in the kit.

rp2000

Last edited:
Associate
I will end up grabbing a 3G version due to the wipeout deal, but lets be honest they will never release a game which requires 3G or makes any significant use of it as most likely 80 - 90% of Vita owners will only have a wifi version but for the sake of £25 I would prefer to have it.

Soldato
So people like me that are tethering will be able to play over 3G as to the Vita it will be using Wifi, i didnt even know it wouldnt play over 3G otherwise.

Caporegime
So people like me that are tethering will be able to play over 3G as to the Vita it will be using Wifi, i didnt even know it wouldnt play over 3G otherwise.

I think "proper" Online gaming against other users is restricted to WiFi. 3G may be used for turn based games (like Windows Phone 7 does).

Whilst tethering may circumvent that, it will still be a 3G connection from your phone so I can't see it being a great experience, although I suppose it depends on the type of game.

rp2000

Soldato
OP
Anyone know what the deal is with Hustle Kings? I think it is one of these cross-play titles like MotorStorm: RC, however, it is confusing as the PS3 version was released ages ago. I wonder if they will give some sort of code for people who own the PS3 version already so they can download the Vita version for free?

DBT85: My 32GB card is at the same shipping stage as yours. I am considering changing to a bundle that has no Memory card as, like you, I suspect the large one will arrive before my VITA.

The only pre-order I have is the Morrison's one. I think that is the best value one for WiFi model atm as it comes with £25 off voucher + £5 off from Pre-order pack + FIFA12 which I hope can trade for ~£25. I only really want PSVITA, Uncharted, Super Stardust, Motorostorm RC and maybe Wipeout, to start with and I think the above bundle will get me all of that, plus money left over, for £250.

rp2000

Hustle Kings is I think the same game and it does have cross platform multiplayer. But there has been no word about giving it to people who bought the original on the PS3. I suppose their argument is "you bought it for the PS3 only" which is true enough. It would be nice but it is what it is I suppose. In an ideal world you buy a licence for a game and you can play it on any format that it's released on but thats not how it works sadly.

Good luck trying to find a bundle with no memory card though! There are a few out there but I think most are still more expensive than the Amazon/Play bundles with the 8GB. I'd imagine that the Fifa they are giving you will be a full retail version (as opposed to a "not for resale" version). As such you'll almost certainly be able to sell/trade it in for at least £25 if not more.

I will end up grabbing a 3G version due to the wipeout deal, but lets be honest they will never release a game which requires 3G or makes any significant use of it as most likely 80 - 90% of Vita owners will only have a wifi version but for the sake of £25 I would prefer to have it.

Probably not. As you said they won't make much that NEEDs 3G/GPS, but it's entirely possible that they'll make games that are better off for it in some way. As you said, for £25 notes it's something I'd rather just have and not need than not have and want.

Live 3G head to head gaming is spotty at best. There are some who manage to game successfully on it but plenty of others who have not. Even through your phones tethering the limitation will still be there.

The Vita can allow you to play online head to head over the 3G if the developer chooses, but typically latency is poor over 3G and so things like COD and Fifa and so on are just not suited to it. For the most part.

The difference with tethering is that the Vita will think it is on a WiFi network and so will allow you to play, whereas if you tried to connect via 3G the game would tell you that you can't. If you consider how much bad press they would get from millions of people trying to play Fifa online and it being laggy as anything you can kind of understand they they've done it like they have.

Things like Everybodys Golf allow play over 3G since it's not real time. You can take your shot and it doesn't matter if it takes half a second for it to send the data to your competitors. Imagine trying to play things like fighters or shooters with that kind of connection.

I have added to, bolded and enlarged questions 2 and 3 in the FAQ which both relate to 3G. Hopefully that will help anyone who is still unclear.

Q: Should I get the WiFi or 3G version
A: Ultimately the decision is yours and the 3G version does NOT have a contract. But if you already own a smartphone with a 3G connection you may see little point in buying the 3G version of the Vita unless there is some kind of bundle or deal or you have the money. You can instead use your phone as a WiFi hotspot and then tether your Vita to it. The 3G service on the Vita will have limits that essentially mean it is for social updates, skype and a-synchronous gaming (things like posting fastest laps, downloading daily challenges, posting high scores, downloading ghost laps, playing Everybodys Golf, turn based games, etc). You WILL NOT be able to play online head to head games like Fifa, Call of Duty, Wipeout etc over 3G. This is a limitation of 3G (latency) and not the Vita. You are not going to be able to download a game or large files via your 3G connection, this will be capped at 20mb max per file like many mobile phone contracts. There are however games which take into account location based data which is far more accurate on the 3G version since it has GPS. The WiFi unit does not.

If you buy the 3G vita and top up the included Vodafone sim card with £5 (getting you 250mb for 30 days) you will recieve Wipeout 2048 for free. This deal essentially means that the 3G version is now £25 more expensive than the WiFi rather than £50 which it is listed at.

I have ordered the 3G unit and a GiffGaff simcard to try out which will be cheaper than Vodafone.

Q: Who is the 3G provider and can I change it?
A: 3G access is provided by Vodafone in most of Europe but you are free to use any data provider you have a sim card for. Only Vodafone has been tested as working perfectly though. You buy a month of data at a time and there are several packages available for low or high data use. People who buy the 3G Vita and also buy a months data (starting at £5 for 250mb) will also get Wipeout for free (about £30).

Last edited:
Soldato
Can someone explain to me how the Vodafone £5 top-up/free wipeout thing works? Is there going to be a Vodafone sim in the box with the Vita or am I going to have to contact Vodafone separately to get one or what? Anyone know how long that deal is going to be on for?

I'm thinking of ordering from Gamestop, I imagine it doesn't matter where you order the Vita from if they all come with a Vodafone sim in the box?

Associate
All 3G Vita's come with a Vodaphone sim I believe, so yep; doesn't matter where you order from. Not sure how you go about topping it up and getting the wipeout code though.

I'd imagine the deal will be on for a couple months at least though.

I also ordered from Gamestop, hoping it arrives on time!

Soldato
Yeah they should all come with the voda sim ! just top up and you should receive a code within 24hours for wipeout !

as DBT85 has posted:

EDIT: also got confirmation from Vodafone today that you'll get your PSN code for Wipeout within 24 hours of topping up. In the US you have to wait 30 days!

uk3G.jpg

Also my 32GB card was posted from planetaxel. Apparently will enter the German postal service within 2-4 days. Should be here before the Vita is!

Last edited:
Soldato
Heads up to all! Just cancelld my order for my case i mentioned earlier as Amazon now doing the Uncharted Thrustmaster SPF case for £17.99! Its supposed to be £24.99 so i have swapped over to that one.

Soldato
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/02/16/try-ps-vitaps3-cross-play-content-for-one-price/

- When you buy MotorStorm RC you will be able to play it on PS3 and PS Vita at no additional cost.
- When you buy Hustle Kings and/or Top Darts for PS Vita, you will get the PS3 versions for free. If you already own these games on PS3, you’ll be able to download the PS Vita version for free.
- If you purchase WipEout 2048 and you already own WipEout HD and the HD Fury DLC on PS3, you will be able to download them for free when they launch on PS Vita later this spring.
- DLC purchased for the PS3 version of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 can be used on the PS Vita version for free (and vice versa).

Back
Top Bottom