• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

please just stop it, stop buying

Associate
Having a Ryzen/Navi powered console will be a very interesting proposition. Performance wise it'll depend on the Sony/MS spec for their respective hardware as they are both custom units, however there will be comparisons that are possible with PC's now. The Jaguar cored units aren't very powerful and direct comparisons are very hard to do.

Though to suggest that cut down PC's that are basically high powered laptops will compete on an even footing with gaming PC's is also ludicrous. As the tech advances there may be a point of diminishing returns, but that's still a long way off.

Soldato
I do wish we had some RT games out now (or even 1) to help me justify the cost of my 2080Ti.

Well you're on to a loser with that one because their is no justification for a GPU costing over £1K, none whatsoever. It's just pure profiteering from a company abusing its near monopoly on the market.

..You and everyone else who pays up for 20' series card is helping to enable that abuse.

Soldato
Pretty sure 7950 was $399 MSRP on release and 290 was also the same. So i doubt it.
Wasn't the point that subsequent products offered the same capabilities or better for less? So basically saying if any of the graphics cards available after the 290/290X offer TrueAudio but cost less then you've got that same function but paid less for it. "Early adopter tax" meaning you get on it early, as opposed to an older product that doesn't have have it? I guess you're trying to compare the 2080Ti with the 1080Ti, but that doesn't seem relevant to early adopter tax as the 1080Ti came before the 2080Ti and DOESN't have the RT capabilities. So I don't see how the 7950 is a relevant reference here when talking about being an early adopter of TrueAudio?

Associate
Sorry to the OP but I have had my 770 for 5.5 years now and I want to update. Looks like it is going to be the best deal on a 2070 I can find on Black Friday, hopefully something in the mid to low £400 range. Then I’m going to forget all about GFX cards for another 4 years!

Associate
I agree with the sentiment. People paying mad money when the need isn't there.

This isn't the 8800gtx again vs crysis.

I recently sold my PC and back on older PC with a 1070. Missing zero beats plays the same games and I clawed back a ton of money. Won't be changing for a long time til there is actually a change in games.

Soldato
PC gaming is complete pants these days so they have to sell graphics cards at premium prices due to a lack of volume sales. I'd get used to the ridiculous prices.

Every generation of consoles closes the gap to PC's and the next gen consoles assuming they have a Ryzen level CPU with 4 or more cores should be every bit as good as a high end PC for 4K gaming. PC's have just hit a point of diminishing returns and they still have CPU's and GPU's that can only communicate with one another over a slow (by console standards) bus.

Problem is consoles only have a fraction of the games, a lot of small budget stuff doesnt make it to consoles, plus they miss the kb and mouse type games. If you only care for the big AAA titles that are multiplat then fair enough.

Also consider the price premium on console titles plus subs for online gameplay, then over 2 years it amounts to £400+.

I feel people are short termist and are just considering the capital outlay for hardware and disregarding the rest.

V F

V F

Soldato
Problem is consoles only have a fraction of the games, a lot of small budget stuff doesnt make it to consoles, plus they miss the kb and mouse type games. If you only care for the big AAA titles that are multiplat then fair enough.

Also consider the price premium on console titles plus subs for online gameplay, then over 2 years it amounts to £400+.

I feel people are short termist and are just considering the capital outlay for hardware and disregarding the rest.

Patching regularly on console for them is costly if I remember correctly, or has that changed?

Soldato
I think its free now but not sure, charging for patching was shooting microsoft and sony in the foot.

But FF15 for a single player game has had a LOT of patches, and DLC added. Most of it free. Its unusual for square enix to support a game so heavily.

Associate
I think its free now but not sure, charging for patching was shooting microsoft and sony in the foot.

But FF15 for a single player game has had a LOT of patches, and DLC added. Most of it free. Its unusual for square enix to support a game so heavily.

Final fantasy has been running for a couple decades now? Last thing they want to do is kill that cash cow.

Soldato
Final fantasy has been running for a couple decades now? Last thing they want to do is kill that cash cow.

Yeah but the patches were mostly free so it was costing them money for dev time and no sales.

There will be a new FF game at some point, but what they have been doing with FF15 was probably not profitable.

If you compare to say FF13, with that series they released 3 games, with FF15 they released one game only, and I believe on top of that the development budget dwarfed FF13, FF13-1 was high budget but the 2 sequels were clearly not yet they made the games fun to play.

Some people even claim FF games from SE are been subsidised by games like tomb raider.

Soldato
Wasn't the point that subsequent products offered the same capabilities or better for less? So basically saying if any of the graphics cards available after the 290/290X offer TrueAudio but cost less then you've got that same function but paid less for it. "Early adopter tax" meaning you get on it early, as opposed to an older product that doesn't have have it? I guess you're trying to compare the 2080Ti with the 1080Ti, but that doesn't seem relevant to early adopter tax as the 1080Ti came before the 2080Ti and DOESN't have the RT capabilities. So I don't see how the 7950 is a relevant reference here when talking about being an early adopter of TrueAudio?

I cba to read that properly, mainly because i work nights and im tired as AF. But you made out you paid extra for the 290 and the benefit of true audio, i was pointing out that was false.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah but the patches were mostly free so it was costing them money for dev time and no sales.

There will be a new FF game at some point, but what they have been doing with FF15 was probably not profitable.

If you compare to say FF13, with that series they released 3 games, with FF15 they released one game only, and I believe on top of that the development budget dwarfed FF13, FF13-1 was high budget but the 2 sequels were clearly not yet they made the games fun to play.

Some people even claim FF games from SE are been subsidised by games like tomb raider.

I thought it had done well?

Just saw this:

Square Enix has shared a new sales update for Final Fantasy XV confirming that the game has now shipped 8.4 million copies worldwide.

Final Fantasy XV launched on November 29, 2016, for the PS4 and Xbox One. It was later ported to the PC where it was released in March 2018. This launch happened alongside the Royal Edition which included new content for the game.

The updated sales figure for Final Fantasy XV makes it the third best selling game overall just behind Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X. It has also sold through more than 500 thousand copies on PC but the recent news of the PC version cutting all future support aside from the Ardyn DLC should dampen the impact of future sales.

Soldato
I cba to read that properly, mainly because i work nights and im tired as AF. But you made out you paid extra for the 290 and the benefit of true audio, i was pointing out that was false.
I doubt they put the DSP chip in there for free...

But I was referring to the early adopter part of the post I quoted. In fact I think that's all that was in the post I quoted. I think you started on about paying extra.

Soldato
I thought it had done well?

Just saw this:

The sales were good enough, but normally once they release a FF game they abandon it fairly quickly, FF15 post launch development is highly unusual for SE. So normally they take your money and then are done with a game, but with FF15 they just kept developing and releasing updates which were huge. I cannot see how it made them money. After the initial sales of the game.

Soldato
Gregster said:

I do wish we had some RT games out now (or even 1) to help me justify the cost of my 2080Ti.

You could have done that (and cheaper in all likelyhood) if you'd have bought a 2080Ti when there were several good RT games out there, and likely issues had been ironed out with RT, and the performance was also there. If you'd waited for RT to mature you could have bought cheaper and felt smugger in the process. As ever, paying over the odds to early-adopt immature tech with no real world application is a mistake. RT might not even end being a thing, who knows? It might end up being another tech white elephant.

Soldato
I doubt they put the DSP chip in there for free...

But I was referring to the early adopter part of the post I quoted. In fact I think that's all that was in the post I quoted. I think you started on about paying extra.

The 7950 and 7970 cost the same as the 290 and 290x on release, so the DSP chip didn't raise the prices of the cards and actually when Thief was released with True Audio the 290x and 290 cost more than what you paid at launch because of the mining boom.

So your statement isn't true at all, you didn't pay more for it and it and it would have actually cost you more to buy the cards when the first game with True audio was released.

Caporegime
Gregster said:

You could have done that (and cheaper in all likelyhood) if you'd have bought a 2080Ti when there were several good RT games out there, and likely issues had been ironed out with RT, and the performance was also there. If you'd waited for RT to mature you could have bought cheaper and felt smugger in the process. As ever, paying over the odds to early-adopt immature tech with no real world application is a mistake. RT might not even end being a thing, who knows? It might end up being another tech white elephant.
I could have stayed in all weekend instead of going out and spending £300 on beer and food. I could have an easier job, I could sell my house and live in a tent. It has nothing to do with feeling smug but all about enjoying my hobby. Sure I would love some RT games to go "wow" at and they will come but for now, I will just have to put up with solid max details and smooth gameplay :D

Back
Top Bottom