Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
Probably way too late for you but I can connect to paypal but get a database error for the jonnyguru site. All other places I've visited this morning are fine here in sunny Chippenham.

Thanks for this, PayPal back up again now. It looked like DNS issues as PayPal could not be found along with JonnyGuru.

Soldato
After over 10 years with Plusnet, I'll be cancelling my fibre & phone package with them tomorrow.

I've had an ongoing issue (only getting 8Mb down) with them since the beginning of December and despite several attempts at fixing it, an engineer visit and lots of conflicting information, they're no nearer to resolving the issue.

Being given the usual "if it's a fault with your kit then you'll be liable to a charge" spiel again over the phone this evening ahead of what was presumably going to be another engineer visit was the final straw. They can ******* whistle.

(Ah, feels better letting that out. :))

Last edited:
Soldato
And if the fault is with Openreach you'll still have it after you change ISPs.

And if that's the case then hopefully the new ISP won't keep going around in circles trying to solve it.

(During his previous visit the Openreach engineer said the copper path is fine. He said the problem is with the ISP.)

Last edited:
Soldato
In my experience it rarely is. The ISP don’t have control of the profiles, Openreach do.

To be honest, I've been told so many different things with reasonable certainty by various customer support folk and the OR engineer that I've lost all faith.

I'm not convinced anyone knows what they're doing.

Now deciding whether to go back to ADSL when I sign up with another provider. I never had problems like this before I upgraded to FTTC.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will be signing up to Plusnet shortly at our new property. I've got a "Huawei Echolife HG612 3B - Unlocked & Latest Firmware" am I right in saying I just plug that in "as is", set my router to pppoe and enter the details as per their help page?

Soldato
Were they ever on the approved list? BT had stopped supplying them well before the approved list existed.

The lists that you can find only seem to include currently available devices. There are older VDSL enabled BT Home Hubs missing from the lists as well.

Soldato
Yes but you’re going to get the same with any of the ISPs.

The same what?

The way I see it, I have nothing to lose by switching, and everything to gain:

If the OR engineer who visited is correct then the move should fix my issue.

If the OR engineer is not correct then the new ISP's support dept will pick it up and hopefully do a better job of getting it sorted than Plusnet support who, after over 2 months are asking me the same questions as on day 1. I.e. there has been absolutely no progress. I've lost count how many times they've asked me if I've connected "directly to the test socket", even after the OR engineer visit! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone here switched from BT to plusnet with both Internet and TV? I know it's owned by bt and the new router is essentially a home hub 5 rather than my current 6. Just wondered more from the TV point of view if I could use my current recordable BT youview box with plusnet TV rather than having to use the basic one provided by plusnet which wouldn't be recordable.

Soldato
I am currnetly with BT but deal is coming to an end. Plusnet looks appealing but usual sales spiel from BT - "yes plusnet is owned by BT but we are faster, better router etc" Is this the case?

Soldato
The only reason they'd be faster is if they're comparing their 55/10 service to Plusnet's 40/10. If you have the full 80/20 connection they'll be the same.

The Plusnet router is effectively a rebadged BT HH5 so the current generation of BT routers will be better. If you already have a recent BT or third-party VSDL router you'd be able to use it with Plusnet.

Man of Honour
^ nail on the head.

I have more confidence in PlusNet's network compared to BT retail which has at times proved to be over-congested.

maj

maj

Soldato
Another plus point for PN over BT is for just a fiver you can get a fixed IP something BT don't offer for home users. My speeds are same now as they were with BT.

I do find BT's router GUI better than PN's for port forwarding etc but didn't take me long to work it out. Everything is hard wired apart from mobile phones so not sure if WiFi range is better or worse .

Back
Top Bottom